Snow snow removal.

/ snow removal. #1  

600rider

Gold Member
Tractor
2004 kubota b7510
I would like to just get this out there. For me the FEL is less than an option for snow removal!!! I have had three plowing sessions this year total of about 36 inches of snow (normally we get 250 to 300 inches) and have used the front blade the first time then the front mt snow blower and now my FEL which I bought in August last year. By far the snow blower is the best snow removal tool I own followed by the blade. In the future if anything happens to either of these two I will put the box blade on and use the FEL as last resort! I know there are a lot of guys out there who will take offense at this, but I mean to offend no one. It is just my opinion! If you use your FEL for snow removal and like it .....more power to you!

/ snow removal. #2  
I only have a box blade and the FEL. Of course I don't have anything close to the amount of snow you see. 2 events this year of 3" and 17". I didn't do anything with the 3" but had to push some of the 17" snow off the drive and clear a path along the fenceline for feeding the horses. The FEL did well enough.

Now if I was looking at snow removal more frequently then I would have a front blade minimum with a watchful eye out for a blower. :)

/ snow removal. #3  
I can understand you choosen snow blower w/that much snow fall..less work,but going out and puttering w/FEL at times sure better than catching cabin fever. ;)

/ snow removal. #4  
I bought my tractor last fall and while my wallet recovers (with 2 kids in college), the FEL is all I have. I've decided that there isn't any snow that I can't take care of with enough time, but the efficiency of the FEL just isn't there. No matter how you use it, the snow will bunch up and fall over both sides, even more so if you have to turn. So you make at least another lap to clean up the spillage.

I hope to get a blower in a year or 2. My driveway is 25 feet of concrete, then 140 feet of pavement, and with this year being mild, it hasn't been an issue for me, but I'd love to get a blower, probably just keep it cheaper and use a rear mount. Can't justify the cost of front mount.

/ snow removal. #5  
(normally we get 250 to 300 inches)

Hey 600rider, I believe your quesstimate is a little on the high side for average snow fall in Union city PA. It be closer to 115". Not saying that isn't a lot ;)

/ snow removal.
20 20, I live out in the snow belt and we do in fact get that much snow. Now 25 miles north in Erie at the airport where they report the snow for Erie, they get about 115 inches a year. Check snow fall totals for Edinboro, Waterford, Union City or Corry and you will see how the rest of us live!

/ snow removal. #7  
Sounds like you get lots of lake effect snow, you can have it. I've never sat down and tried to figure out how much snow a year we get, just sounds like it could lead to depression. But being only a could miles from a ski area I'm sure it would be easy.

/ snow removal. #8  
For me a snow blower does a much neater job than plowing but it was too slow for me and a pain in the neck with a 3 pt. blower so I sold mine. Since then I use either the loader bucket or take it off and use a plow blade attached to the loader arms. I am in the snow belt of upstate NY just SE of lake Ontario.

/ snow removal. #9  
For me the FEL snow plow is used to get the roads in shape for the snowblower later on. The plow is way faster, but it builds up the sides too high. The blower shoots it out 20-30 feet so is less of an issue. I have a loader moutnted blower and its nice to clear a 7' path per pass.

/ snow removal. #10  
20 20, I live out in the snow belt and we do in fact get that much snow. Now 25 miles north in Erie at the airport where they report the snow for Erie, they get about 115 inches a year. Check snow fall totals for Edinboro, Waterford, Union City or Corry and you will see how the rest of us live!
121.6 for Corry according to this:

Annual Pennsylvania rainfall, severe weather and climate data

I live about 12 miles east of Chalk Hill, Pa. I'm in the snowbelt also.