Snowblower Modification

/ Snowblower Modification #21  
Maybe try gluing them on. And I don't mean some cheap hardware store super glue. If you know the materials that will be bonded you can maybe find an adhesive that will hold up. Try researching Henkel Loctite for some applications. They are gluing car body panels together now, I'm confident someone makes a glue that will hold some rubber on a plastic impeller.

If you want to use adhesive, I'd recommend adding on with the same type of plastic the impeller is made of rather than rubber. Then use the correct specialty adhesive required for that type of plastic.

/ Snowblower Modification #22  
I used 1/4" mild steel plate when I did mine - with four 5/16" through the fan blade. Instead of steel, 3/8" thick conveyor belt would work really well as it is reinforced. I installed my metal plates in 2011 ( I think) and blow snow at 720 rpm ona 540rpm blower. Everything works fine and the blower really pumps out the snow.

Attachments

• Snow Blower - 2.jpg
    Snow Blower - 2.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 467
  • Snow Blower - 7.jpg
    Snow Blower - 7.jpg
    475.5 KB · Views: 483
   / Snowblower Modification #23  
I did this mod on my previous 3 point hitch mounted blower, using 3/8 " conveyor belt, and it worked great.
What you have to watch, if your doing this mod, is measure and mark each blade individually, because each length of blade might be a bit different.
Rotate the blade by hand and find the tightest area in the chute and adjust the belt to freely go by that spot.
I used 1/4 in. bolts, with washers on both sides, and a lockwasher and nut.

/ Snowblower Modification #24  
Does the modification affect the impeller balance at all?

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

Hey, we are talking 500 rpm here, not a jet engine turbine.
When you trim the flaps do it as equal as possible and you are good to go.

/ Snowblower Modification #25  
I have the same doubts. A lot of the automotive bonding depends on large surface areas of materials having similar properties with low dynamic forces. With adhesive attachment of tips to a composite impeller it's going to be tough to match tip to impeller properties. Then there's the high dynamic forces, spread over a small surface area, on a rotating mechanism that's doing mass transport of an inconsistent material. Actually sounds like a fairly good recipe for bond failure.

Guys, it was only a suggestion to do some research. Maybe there is something out there that will work and maybe not, but if you don't look you will never know. I honestly have doubts too because of the normal forces from the additional piece acting on the edge of the joint. I don't work with many high end adhesives but have read some amazing thing in some engineering journals.

/ Snowblower Modification #26  
My Ariens walk behind has 6 blades on the impeller, looks like I've got a lot of work to do!

/ Snowblower Modification #27  
Do the meteors have a big manufacturing tolerance in spacing? I looked at my impeller blades yesterday and they barely any room except where the chute opening is. Wondering why there is so much variance. Mine isn't new by any means.

/ Snowblower Modification #28  
Guys, it was only a suggestion to do some research. Maybe there is something out there that will work and maybe not, but if you don't look you will never know. I honestly have doubts too because of the normal forces from the additional piece acting on the edge of the joint. I don't work with many high end adhesives but have read some amazing thing in some engineering journals.

Sorry if I came off sounding overly critical. It's a flaw in my personality. You are right - nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Your suggestion was taken seriously, and it was an interesting idea to think about. I recently mended a pair of old work boots using Shoe-Goo, bonding the rubber toe & heel guards, which had worked loose, to the leather uppers & and synthetic fabric backing. That stuff really surprised me - how well it bonded and held up to repeated flexing. If the Shoe-Goo repairs hadn't worked, those boots were going to the landfill. That started me thinking about different ways of fabricating other stuff, so your suggestion sort of flipped a switch for me.

/ Snowblower Modification #29  
Do the meteors have a big manufacturing tolerance in spacing? I looked at my impeller blades yesterday and they barely any room except where the chute opening is. Wondering why there is so much variance. Mine isn't new by any means.

The Meteor 75" pull-type I bought in 2011 is as you describe tractchores. There is a consistent 1/4" spacing around the drum. I estimate it will throw cold, dry snow 50 to 60' and heavy, wet cement-like snow just 30'. That is more than adequate for my setting which don't call for precision in where to put the snow.

/ Snowblower Modification
I attempted to get a photo today on the snow blower running with the new modification. I think the camera was too close to the tractor. I'll try and get another shot further away.

Attachments

• Blower Mod.jpg
    Blower Mod.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 393