Snow Attachments Snowblowers vs PTO HP

/ Snowblowers vs PTO HP #121  
I ran a Woodmaxx 60 inch, 695 pound snow blower off of a JD 855, 24 HP with 19 @ the PTO worked fine just a little slow. This year I up graded to a 2032R, 32 HP with 24 @ the PTO. Hate snow but looking forward to one good storm.

I am thinking about a Woodmaxx now. What do you like and dislike about yours? Would you purchase again?

/ Snowblowers vs PTO HP #122  
I have 20 plus videos on snow clearing with my Kubota BX. Here's one that might best give an idea of what the combination of the 51 inch blower and BX is capable of. I'm happy with the setup but at times I wouldn't mind a few extra hp.

/ Snowblowers vs PTO HP #123  
Looks cold :) Looks like you could use a bit more power, I know I will be short some but if I ever get a larger tractor I want a 60 inch blower. Nice video.

/ Snowblowers vs PTO HP #124  
How do you find the distance that it blows? I heard they do not blow as far as some but far enough? Looks like yours is doing well.

/ Snowblowers vs PTO HP #125  
I am thinking about a Woodmaxx now. What do you like and dislike about yours? Would you purchase again?

Yes I would recommend the woodmaxx and would purchase it again. It is a heavy duty blower and well built. When I first purchased it there was a problem with it throwing the key way, contacted woodmaxx and sent out a new key, it happened a second time and the sent out a new blower and picked up the original with in days. Great service and stand behind the product. Never had another problem.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Snowblowers vs PTO HP #126  
Dealer said a 72 " would fit my 2816hst. I bought a second hand one the other day, I didn't see it in person yet. At the time I thought it looked big. But he said that's what they run them with. Tractor is one foot narrower.

/ Snowblowers vs PTO HP #127  
I'll let you know how it works out. But I know I'm easy on gear so I'd crawl fast enough to let the machine do the work. No hurry

/ Snowblowers vs PTO HP #128  
Dealer said a 72 " would fit my 2816hst. I bought a second hand one the other day, I didn't see it in person yet. At the time I thought it looked big. But he said that's what they run them with. Tractor is one foot narrower.

You do want the snow blower wider then the tractor's rear wheel track...you can see the blower on my 4520 is pretty big. It's also pretty heavy (about 800 lbs). I can't recall the PTO HP specs for a 74" Frontier snow blower, but I do recall the Woods equivalent recommended 20 PTO HP, minimum. Your Mahindra has, per TractorData.com, 21 PTO HP. I'm sure it will work OK...but probably pretty slow. If the blower is a 60" unit...well, no problem! If you don't have a loader, you might need front weights. You'll know the first time you raise the 3PH.

Good luck and enjoy your snow blower!

Attachments

• 20160921_173054_resized.jpg
    20160921_173054_resized.jpg
    966 KB · Views: 146
   / Snowblowers vs PTO HP #129  
IMO, with your 20hp, you will move a given amount of snow per minute. With a wider blower, you'll go slower. With narrow, you can go faster. It'll still be the same amount of snow per minute. Unless it's so big it's pushing you around, run it.

/ Snowblowers vs PTO HP #130  
IMO, with your 20hp, you will move a given amount of snow per minute. With a wider blower, you'll go slower. With narrow, you can go faster. It'll still be the same amount of snow per minute. Unless it's so big it's pushing you around, run it.

aeblank,

I don't think you'll see the same amount of snow per minute across a very broad range when trading horsepower for ground speed as you suggest. The trade works of course, but it won't be linear, rather would plot as a parabolic curve due to a fall off in efficiency the further you move away from the optimal hp range for a given blower.

Not suggesting VroomVroom's 72" with 20hp won't work fine, BTW.

I've read a rule of thumb is 5 hp per foot of blower width. That's probably on the conservative side. I have a 63" front mount on a B3350 with 27hp PTO. As I increase ground speed, it doesn't bog down. Speed is limited by throughput capability of the blower, with snow pushing ahead and spilling off to the side if the optimal speed for snow depth and conditions is exceeded.