Snowblowing rules of thumb

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #21  
Rule #8

Remove the blower and put on the 8' plow. Leave the pins, wrenches, grease gun, Pam, and poles in the garage. Wait until spring to clear the rocks, newspapers, and kids toys. 1 pass each way, no muss, no fuss ! Run tractor in high gear. Won't even be warmed up by the time my own 1000' drive is done (including turnarounds), so head out to the neighbors on each side and do the road up to the school, too. (Up and back). All done in under 30 minutes. Now take dogs for a run with the golf cart to inspect.

What happens when you run out of places to put the snow? Can your plow place the snow 50' from where you are???

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #23  
I learned the hard way about cleaning the snow off my walk-behind thrower.
I might add a few ideas like - make sure you're gased up before the snowstorm starts. And do your plowing/blowing at slow speed. I had to have a carpenter out this spring to repair all the damage that I caused trying to do a rush job.

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #24  
"Can your plow place the snow 50' from where you are???"

Yes it can. If you need to be perpendicular to the road, just do it. I'm originally from South Buffalo. If the accumulation is that great, use a front end loader. BTW: Algore told me I'd never again have this problem...

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb
I learned the hard way about cleaning the snow off my walk-behind thrower.
I might add a few ideas like - make sure you're gased up before the snowstorm starts. And do your plowing/blowing at slow speed. I had to have a carpenter out this spring to repair all the damage that I caused trying to do a rush job.

I agree with the idea of not being in a hurry. I took the lowest step off of my porch last year, backing up without looking.

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #26  
As I cleared my 600m laneway I remembered what I should have done last month. Put markers in!! It's hard to get he corners and bends right when evrything has a nice even blanket of snow. Looks like I'll be going out there with a shovel, spke and hammer to out the markers in.

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #27  
As I cleared my 600m laneway I remembered what I should have done last month. Put markers in!! It's hard to get he corners and bends right when evrything has a nice even blanket of snow. Looks like I'll be going out there with a shovel, spke and hammer to out the markers in.

if you are using the 48" fiberglass markers from lowes, et al I have had great luck installing them with a 36"x1/2" piece of black iron pile that has a cap on one end. works great for those.

Aaron Z

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #28  
I would add -- learn to judge the wind direction and velocity like a good marksman:D:D. even if you have a cab, wind is critical to placing the snow where you want it -- if you don't have a cab it is critical to staying dry:eek::eek:

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #29  
Timely Post;

are there any other things to consider. What rpm should I run unit at? Should I spray or oil shut? Also, should I use oil on chain drive or grease? it is lightly coated now.

TIA

Lloyd,

Go to a motorcycle shop and buy chain lube there. It's a sticky grease in an aerosol can and has alcohol or some other quick evaporating solvent in it. You spray it on and it runs into all the small cracks and crevices. Then the solvent evaps and you have grease everywhere you want/need it.

I love the stuff. Use it on everything. Esp hinges, latches, and door locks on cars/trucks. On the tractor I used it on the chain coupling that connects the front PTO to the hyd pump for the FEL.

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #30  
I would add -- learn to judge the wind direction and velocity like a good marksman:D:D. even if you have a cab, wind is critical to placing the snow where you want it -- if you don't have a cab it is critical to staying dry:eek::eek:

I agree on the wind but as I worked on the road this fall I also got thinking about snow melt. This year I am going to do my best to blow the snow in the direction of the run off. Some properties along my lane do not drain well and I don't want to add to the problem by blowing snow that way.