Snowblowing rules of thumb

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #31  
I have a river in the middle of my property -- I try and blow the snow into it and a few ponds I have -- lessens the worry of run off and high banks that don't melt until May:eek:

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #32  
Ilearned one thing tonight blowing crusty stuff for the first time.My chute control will turn far enough around to blow it into the rear window.Wakes you up in a hurry[the heat from the cab heater was makin me groggy:)]glad it was lexan.
Another rule is make sure you know which way the lever goes to move your chute.Got a little too close to the house and started picking up some crushed stone,grabbed the lever and turned it right into the house:rolleyes:Almost like someone shooting a machine gun:)
Im learning,you guys are helping with this thread.
ALAN

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #34  
Ya know whats kinda cool? When watching a video of a snowblower, the pulses in the stream of snow coming out of the chute are much more obvious (from the snow coming off the individual impeller blades). Something that is less obvious to the naked eye when you are running the blower.

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #35  
I have ran the snowblower with turf tires the first year and then switched to bar tires after that. First year lesson also, much warmer and better with a cab. Looked like frosty several times coming back in the house. I would alway put my cold hands on the wife. She would scream whats the matter with you? Don't you wear your gloves? Why sure I do dear, but its 3 degrees out there. However, I had already decided that it was going to be the last year without a cab. But after putting my cold hands on my wife each time, she finally said, "why don't you get a cab or something so you won't get so cold." (really protecting herself) That's all I had to hear, I ran out the door and slammed the door on the way before she could change her mind. I had it ordered in 15 minutes and it was installed the following week. Life is good now. I have moved about 72 inches of snow so far this season. Although, none in the last 10 days.

Another rule of thumb to consider, make sure you have a yellow flasher (beacon) on if you are near the road. I almost bought it last year when a truck came racing down my road, 50 or so....missed me by a foot. He stopped and came back and apologized........but I must have had this look of terror on my face still and I said, what's the hurry fella. You are gonna kill somebody dribving like that. I saw his truck up against a tree the next day, all managed up. He was alright, but I did notice he has slowed it way down.

Get the beacon, they don't cost a lot and it will be the best investment you can make!

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #36  
No kidding on taking it slow. I got a little too close to one of the gates to the pasture. The snowblower immediately cut through the galavanized steel. I've got the gate off sitting in my shop now and I've been trying to locate 16 guage galvanized pipe of the same size of the gate to fix it.

Good thing I'm looking foward the welding project!

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #37  
My number one is always make sure there is nothing to suck up. I keep this in mind all year round. Hummm, that tree limb that fell right next to driveway, I bet I'd suck that up if it was winter, I better move it out of the way now.

I've sucked up rocks, branches, garden hose and curbs.

Nothing worse than bending an auger for no good reason.

A blower should last a lifetime if you don't suck stuff up.

And never never reach anywhere near a running blower, I bet we all know at least someone who's lost a finger or two doing that. No excuse for that happening.

Joel

/ Snowblowing rules of thumb #38  
I'll add:

1) Watch the tilt angle of the blower with the top link (rear PTO). I had mine tilted back so I wouldn't blow or dig up gravel/road mix. Had a freak warming spell for two days and all of a sudden the long road is a slushy mess because it was leaving an inch or snow of snow everytime I blew it. Had a heck of a time just getting down the road with the 4x4 truck. Adjusted the top link and cleaned it up. Adjusted it twice since I was getting road mix the first time.

2) Chains. Thought I could get by without them on R4's. Wrong. When all 4 tires are turning and your not moving, it's time for chains. Not cheap, but necessary.

3) Add a rear work light.

4) When the neighbors ask for help, make sure you know the property. Last time I helped the shear pin on the auger and the PTO shears (2) when bye bye (a rock that a skidsteer dug up on the side of the driveway).

5) Buy a tractor with a cab, heater, stereo, and a front mounted snow blower so my neck is not as sore. Of course this is if I hit the lotto and then maybe I'll just head to a tropical climate and let someone else do it for me....lol

Regards

Last edited:
   / Snowblowing rules of thumb #39  
Pictures. A couple of weeks ago. Theres more snow now and chains are on order.

Attachments

• IMG_0468.JPG
    IMG_0468.JPG
    535.5 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0470.JPG
    IMG_0470.JPG
    494.9 KB · Views: 127
   / Snowblowing rules of thumb #40  
Here are some pictures, lots of snow here in West Branch, Michigan. My first year having a snowblower, it works great. This is a great site.

Attachments

• DSC01813.jpg
    DSC01813.jpg
    604.3 KB · Views: 190
  • DSC01794.jpg
    DSC01794.jpg
    816.4 KB · Views: 225