Chains Snowblowing the trail, up the hill, with chains on all four tires

/ Snowblowing the trail, up the hill, with chains on all four tires #1  

Northland

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
We have had a lot of snow here the past few days-actually a lot since Nov 9

Here's some pictures that illustrate what you can do with a tractor that has chains on all four wheels. No way you could get up this hill with only rear chains-I know, I tried:eek:

This hill is actually a lot longer and much steeper then it appears in the pictures.

Attachments

• Start.jpg
    Start.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 700
  • halfway.jpg
    halfway.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 942
  • at the top.jpg
    at the top.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 608
  • in the distance.jpg
    in the distance.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 530
   / Snowblowing the trail, up the hill, with chains on all four tires #2  
Nice pix! Beautiful setting!

We had maybe 1/4 inch of snow last night.

That may be all we'll get this year (Western Washington State on the Puget Sound) My wife tells me a snow blower is totally out of the question! What a bummer. :cool:

It looks like such a cool attachment.

/ Snowblowing the trail, up the hill, with chains on all four tires #3  
Was doing some snow moving with Deere 4320 with the bucket today. Just installed chains yesterday from tirechains.com - got duo ladder rears and v-bar ladder fronts and the difference between 'naked' R4's and with chains is unbelievable. Plowing uphill in conditions I could barely move in before. Able to move snowpiles with amazing force. Now need a skid-steer mount front plow ideall with some offset...

/ Snowblowing the trail, up the hill, with chains on all four tires #4  
MARKO,
Great pics,chains are the way to get er done.Ihave a few spots that steep also and im learning it aint easy without chains.I learned quickly [only blown twice so far] if i fill the bucket with snow and lift the blower up so the weight aint on the shoes[ground]push the differential lock she will go with my ag tires.Imay eat those words before winters end:D.Ialso have a sand barrel on each hill,and i keep it sanded before each storm.Ithink the extra 500 lb cab helps also.Mabey i need chains,i guess ill find out.
ALAN

/ Snowblowing the trail, up the hill, with chains on all four tires #5  
Very pretty setting you have there. Since you call it a trail I assume that is not your drive. I'm just curious, why do you keep it plowed? Do you cut firewood back there all year? I don't bother with my trails. When it gets too deep or drifted for the quad, I take the snowmobile.

/ Snowblowing the trail, up the hill, with chains on all four tires #6  
Sherweld
sorry about the blower but they also work wellfor moving gravel piles and mulch, Don't ask me how I know ;)

/ Snowblowing the trail, up the hill, with chains on all four tires
CC-yes, that is my main trail, up from my house, that leads to other trails on my property. That main trail is about a kilometer long and leads to a logging road on railway land that surrounds my property.

I do keep it cleared as much as I can so that I can skid out the dead trees I cut down in winter.

/ Snowblowing the trail, up the hill, with chains on all four tires #8  
Chains do make a difference.:D

I don't have any for my present tractor but should maybe start looking for a set.:D

Two weeks or so ago we had around 20 centimeters of snow. Today I'm thinking of mowing the lawn!:D

/ Snowblowing the trail, up the hill, with chains on all four tires #9  
Northland
Given that you and are in the same area. (although you get more lake effect snow)
For the same reasons as you , I want to keep access to my upper field and bush lot open so during winter I can keep logging for next winters supply . (better than doing in blackfly season)
Take a look at picture attached , up until the last 6 inches we just got of wet snow, I was able to keep the trail up the hill (behind garage ) clear to almost the grass with ATV plow . But am scared to try to go up that hill in winter with my BX2660.
Would it do it with chains do you think ? two wheels or all four ? ATV can no longer get up due to 6" wet snow so I might be done in for season. But chains intrigue me , but dangerous hill to slide down backwards.
jake
echo bay

Attachments

• DSCN04390270.jpg
    DSCN04390270.jpg
    620.7 KB · Views: 348
   / Snowblowing the trail, up the hill, with chains on all four tires
Northland
Would it do it with chains do you think ? two wheels or all four ? ATV can no longer get up due to 6" wet snow so I might be done in for season. But chains intrigue me , but dangerous hill to slide down backwards.
jake
echo bay

Oh yeah Jake, chains all-round on your Kubota would bring you up and down that hill no problem. Of course that's assuming you are not trying to plow through snow that is up to or past the belly of your tractor. The degree of slope of your hill looks similar, if not greater, then that of my hill.

Sliding backwards is not nearly as scary as sliding sideways on your tractor. :eek: Since putting chains on my tractor I have not had further incidents like that.

As long as you have the clearance between your wheels and the wheel well you should buy the chains - tractor tire chains for farm tractors

Other then having to put them on each fall you won't regret buying chains:D

BTW, nice place you have there. Is that on Hwy 638 in Sylvan Valley? My wife's family has a camp on McCarroll Lake and my BIL lives on Gordon Lake Road