snowed in from noth ga

/ snowed in from noth ga #61  
The ice got down my way sometime after midnight last night. Glad I don't have to go anywhere. Here is a satirical look at the Atlanta situation from a guy I know on Tomahawk Nation. It's pretty funny.

Larro

Just had to re-post/share that - my daughter works at Starbucks :stirthepot:

/ snowed in from noth ga #62  
I just don't see it ever happening, Dave, just too much money for something that might be needed every few years. I'm stocked up on hot chocolate, so I'm good. :D

I'm sure some thing will get a little better, but any ice (or snow above 1/2" :laughing:) is just going to shut things down 'til it melts.

I've been listening the the Atlanta mayor and the governor getting excoriated for things, especially not closing the schools, but when schools have been closed in the past and the storm DIDN'T hit as expected, they get all sorts of flak from parents who "don't have anyone to watch their kids when they're not in school" and business people who lose business from a "storm scare". You just can't win.

After awhile you just come to expect this, and there's not really a good alternative without spending A LOT of money, that will be considered "useless" by most, and then a few years would pass and people would wonder why all "that money" is being spent for snow /ice preparedness when it's never needed. :confused2:

Agreed, proactive strategy isn't common.

What I was attempting to highlight is that the big money is tied up in the trucks and crews. Construction companies need those anyway, and Winter is often a slow time for them, so that relationship works out well here for overload snow removal.

0.1% of what your State has lost in revenue during this one shutdown would probably buy a couple of lifetimes worth of drop-in sander units, but I understand your point - most people don't think that way, or that far ahead.

Stay warm, and safe.

Rgds, D.

/ snowed in from noth ga #63  
Agreed, proactive strategy isn't common.

What I was attempting to highlight is that the big money is tied up in the trucks and crews. Construction companies need those anyway, and Winter is often a slow time for them, so that relationship works out well here for overload snow removal.

0.1% of what your State has lost in revenue during this one shutdown would probably buy a couple of lifetimes worth of drop-in sander units, but I understand your point - most people don't think that way, or that far ahead.

Stay warm, and safe.

Rgds, D.

Oh, I'm in full agreement with you Dave...just don't see it ever happening. If we could get some of these "storms" 3-4 years in a ROW, that would probably help with some real foresight.

/ snowed in from noth ga #64  
You know they built a bunch of new covered gravel depots after the 2011 debacle. You need to place equipment and operators at those depots when nasty weather is predicted. We had 2 days of warning that something might show up.

/ snowed in from noth ga #65  
The powers that be in Atlanta knew full well this weather was coming...what they should have done was inform the public that all the Interstates, by-passes etc. etc. would be shut down in advance of the precipitation ...this would have forced the commuters etc to wake up before the fact and heed the advance warnings...

/ snowed in from noth ga #67  
I live in south Mississippi and we got sleet and ice. Roads were iced over hard to travel or impossible in places. I thought the video was funny funny funny. This is the first time in 40 years we got this much ice.

/ snowed in from noth ga #69  
A quick video I shot yesterday evening.

Wakey, you need to get there and mend that broken fence panel bud!!!!! :laughing:

/ snowed in from noth ga #70  
Oh, I'm in full agreement with you Dave...just don't see it ever happening. If we could get some of these "storms" 3-4 years in a ROW, that would probably help with some real foresight.

Careful what you wish for Jay ! :D

I think of this kind of learning in terms of the Yosemite Sam and the Mule skit. Helps if you start off breaking a few 2x4's ! :thumbsup:

Rgds, D.