snowed in from noth ga

/ snowed in from noth ga #72  
The powers that be in Atlanta knew full well this weather was coming...what they should have done was inform the public that all the Interstates, by-passes etc. etc. would be shut down in advance of the precipitation ...this would have forced the commuters etc to wake up before the fact and heed the advance warnings...

A rural area not that far NW of me has road closures in place again tonight. Police barricades go up, with flashing lights on them. If you drive on a Closed Road, your insurance is Null and Void, and you can be fined and hit with license demerit points.

We have the heavy snow removal equipment, but when storms get that bad, the smart thing to do is close the road.

Thinking of the lady OPP constable who is in hospital tonight - at the front end of this recent closure she was parked in her cruiser while assisting a disabled vehicle and had her cruiser slammed into by a tractor trailer. I hope she makes it.

Rgds, D.

/ snowed in from noth ga #73  
Thinking of the lady OPP constable who is in hospital tonight - at the front end of this recent closure she was parked in her cruiser while assisting a disabled vehicle and had her cruiser slammed into by a tractor trailer. I hope she makes it.

Rgds, D.

Our prayers are with the officer. Them and linemen are always out when it's the worst.

I got out and washed the ice off our cars today and got them under the pole barn. It took over an hour, but I stayed mostly dry doing it. We have to get out in the morning, as soon as the bridge over the Apalachicola River is opened back up. We should see temps in the high 40's tomorrow, so maybe it won't be too long a wait on the bridge.

Larro

/ snowed in from noth ga #74  
The powers that be in Atlanta knew full well this weather was coming...what they should have done was inform the public that all the Interstates, by-passes etc. etc. would be shut down in advance of the precipitation ...this would have forced the commuters etc to wake up before the fact and heed the advance warnings...

I saw one news report/film of Gov Nathan Deal blaming the Nat'l Weather Service for erroneously forecasting that the bulk of the weather would pass to the south of metro Atl, and then changing the forecast at the last minute. NOT! Every forecast I saw in advance of the debacle clearly and consistently said 1-3in.

- Jay

/ snowed in from noth ga #75  
A rural area not that far NW of me has road closures in place again tonight. Police barricades go up, with flashing lights on them. If you drive on a Closed Road, your insurance is Null and Void, and you can be fined and hit with license demerit points.

We have the heavy snow removal equipment, but when storms get that bad, the smart thing to do is close the road.

Rgds, D.

OPP said this morning that they have had 8 cruisers damaged in the past week when people slid into them at an existing accident.

/ snowed in from noth ga #76  
Sorry to send some your way.......another 4-6 inches this morning. 2 1/2 hour commute to work today. what fun. Now cold (again). Maybe not the Polar Vortex again (hopefully).

Time to get the tractor out again! :thumbsup:

/ snowed in from noth ga #77  
I saw one news report/film of Gov Nathan Deal blaming the Nat'l Weather Service for erroneously forecasting that the bulk of the weather would pass to the south of metro Atl, and then changing the forecast at the last minute. NOT! Every forecast I saw in advance of the debacle clearly and consistently said 1-3in.

- Jay

The energy now being expended with finger-pointing probably could have gotten all your roads sanded - by hand ! :rolleyes:

Here's hoping things melt for you soon.

Rgds, D.

/ snowed in from noth ga #78  
The energy now being expended with finger-pointing probably could have gotten all your roads sanded - by hand ! :rolleyes:

Here's hoping things melt for you soon.

Rgds, D.

Listening to WSB radio over the net I heard the Gov say that it was because the radio weather man, called out by name (!) hadn't been clear enough. Then they played several of his cuts from on the air. Every one of them said the storm could vary wildly. 1-5 inches of snow. Could start at 11 am and be done by 8pm. Or could start at 2pm and be done at 2 am. Could have ice or rain. Stay tuned because it could change very rapidly. I've never heard a govt official blame a radio guy for his own incompetence.

/ snowed in from noth ga #79  
all the local politicians are trying to cover their tails...

The National Weather Service had clearly issued viable warnings which should have been heeded...schools should have been closed and highways should have been shut down...there is no excuse...

/ snowed in from noth ga #80  
I was able to cross the SR20 bridge over the Apalachicola River {between Blountstown and Bristol Fl} this morning at 0700. They had plenty of sand down, and had reduced the speed limit. I carried my wife to catch her ride to Orlando. There was a few icicles on her friend's car when they left. I doubt they are still there now.

Down here some of our transplanted Yankees were complaining that the county erred too much on the side of caution. Schools and the courthouse was closed here yesterday and today. It's true they could have been opened back up today, {the ice on my house melted about 1130 today} but they had already decided for two days. About 25 years ago when we had iced up bridges, there was an elderly lady being taken to her doctor's appointment by the county's Sr. Cit. Org. The car wrecked on the I-10 bridge and it killed her. So they were not going to take any chances of something like that happening again.

Hope you guys thaw out soon.

Larro