So I did a thing... Agria 8900D

/ So I did a thing... Agria 8900D
Got some side by side pictures of the Branson and the Agria.

IMG_20240306_155234.jpg
IMG_20240306_155133.jpg

IMG_20240306_155155.jpg

Also did a somewhat of a test fit on the tiller. It's way too wide for it but I think it can do it on this sandy soil. At least when it's dry.

This was mostly to take some measurements for the 3 pt linkage. I remember I had a shorter PTO shaft that came with one of the crawler tractors so I don't have to make the arms way too long nor I have to cut the one from the Branson.

IMG_20240306_160654.jpg
IMG_20240306_161839.jpg

/ So I did a thing... Agria 8900D #153  
You're Agria appears to be hungry for the challenge (the pulley in the front is like a mouth) for a chance to run that tiller!

Attachments

• IMG_20240306_155133 Agria.jpg
    IMG_20240306_155133 Agria.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 24
You're Agria appears to be hungry for the challenge (the pulley in the front is like a mouth) for a chance to run that tiller!
Judging by the missing chunk, I'm sure it ate something before!!

That pulley is for pull start with a rope. Well, if one is brave enough. 😅 There is a lot of compression to fight against. Either you'll pull the rope with vigor or it will hurt you very bad and may even start running backwards. That has happened to me before on a slightly smaller engine. What a smoke show!

/ So I did a thing... Agria 8900D #155  
The Agria is certainly colorful. I'd be interested in your thoughts from an operator's viewpoint as to what is different about the Agria from a typical tractor.

The Agria is certainly colorful. I'd be interested in your thoughts from an operator's viewpoint as to what is different about the Agria from a typical tractor.
Still need to gather some more thoughts as I use it from the operators viewpoint.

Essentially, this type of tractor is built to work on hills and tight places. Hence the low profile and narrow stance. These are the main features of this type of tractor.

For instance, these tractors are used a lot in vineyards done in terraces. These vineyards have a narrow spacing in between rows, so the narrow stance of the tractor is needed and so is the low profile, since terraces are done on side of mountains.

Here is a little example of an Antonio Carraro demoing the maneuverability in Douro region, north of Portugal, where some of the best whines are made.

My old Agria is very basic. It's an old tractor after all. The modern ones have some really nice features and often provide higher hydraulic flow rates, since a lot of central mounted implements are hydraulic driven.

The main players on this style of tractor are Antonio Carraro, BCS Group (Pasquali, Ferrari and BCS, all the same) and Goldoni. All these brands offer this style of tractors and some variants as well, like low and wide or low and narrow.

They also offer either Articulated steering and the conventional front axle steering (a bit safer than the articulated). BCS also offer a dual steering system which combines the articulation with the front axle steering.

Another great benefit of these tractors and probably the main selling point, is that some models offer a reversible operators platform. Essentially you turn the operators platform around so you're facing the implement all the time.

My old Agria is very basic. It's an old tractor after all. The modern ones have some really nice features and often provide higher hydraulic flow rates, since a lot of central mounted implements are hydraulic driven.

Forget loader work with this type of tractor. Not at all made for it. These have a weight distribution of like 60% Front and 40% back. Totally the opposite of a conventional tractor. This little Agria probably has more than 60% on the front. With no implement in the back, it's always trying to spin tires on me without 4WD engaged.

Then, there is the long nose. This would make the loader with really long arms and very little lifting capacity. While you'll some videos of these tractors with loaders, it's often a cumbersome setup that can only do very light work.

Sorry of the long post. I tend to digress "slightly".

/ So I did a thing... Agria 8900D #157  
Looks like the primary advantage is the ability to make a tight turn in a narrow orchard row on a steep hillside without overturning. That's pretty spectacular. No electronic injection and no DPF. I doubt today's tractors will still be running 50 years from now because of all the sensors.

Got the 3 pt linkage done and also made a set of 5 mm shims that will work as stabilizers. I did run my big tiller without the shims and didn't feel the need for any of the shims, but I'll add it anyway to reduce some of the side to side play.

IMG_20240313_155352.jpg
IMG_20240313_162741.jpg
IMG_20240313_162749.jpg

For the big tiller experience. I was really surprise how easily it handled this bigger tiller. Even though the ground is kinda sandy, it was very wet and compacted from not being tilled for a long time. It did gave the engine a workout looking how much paint got burned off the muffler.

It is quite loud so I'll definitely use some ear protection next time I till with it.

Between the belt slipping and the relief valve opening, this tiller its all it wants to lift. It's only 520 lbs but sticks way out as you can see. I'll probably drill another hole on the lower links for the side links to hook on so it gets a little bit more leverage.

Turning this thing while tilling is quite a chore!! Being articulated, it pushes the attachment in the back side ways, with the tiller buried in the ground, that's a big job on the steering. For sure. I think with the tiller it came with it, it will do a lot better.

Still a lot to learn about it. Specially steering. I keep missing all my tight turns since it's so different from a conventional tractor. I'll get it eventually. 🤣

/ So I did a thing... Agria 8900D #159  
Is there any room that perhaps you could make a cross-linkage going diagonal from the end of each 3pt arm to near the beginning of the other?
What you're looking for is triangulation, any could help, though you'd need to be careful if lowering an implement that it doesn't hit the PTO shaft.
1710361577871.png

/ So I did a thing... Agria 8900D #160  
Is there any room that perhaps you could make a cross-linkage going diagonal from the end of each 3pt arm to near the beginning of the other?
What you're looking for is triangulation, any could help, though you'd need to be careful if lowering an implement that it doesn't hit the PTO shaft.
View attachment 857022
Good idea that's what I suggested in post 131