So much for the ice being thick enough!

/ So much for the ice being thick enough! #1  

fredhargis

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2920, Kioto CK3510HB
I wish there was pics I could link for this, the story was on the local news last night. Earlier this week a nearby Parks dept. reported that the ice on the local ponds (their ponds) was thick enough for skating. So yesterday they took their tractor (appeared to be a JD2305 or similar) with a rear mounted snowthrower to clear the snow off the ice. Yep, you guessed...got about 6' from shore before he broke through. It was in shallow water, but the tractor was probably 1/2 submerged and the clip on the news showed them using a very big front end loader to fish it out. Sure glad I didn't try to go out on our pond to test the thickness statement. BTW, this was the second time they had done this, the first time was about 3 years ago!

/ So much for the ice being thick enough! #2  
Does the TV station post photos/videos of their news stories?

Steve

/ So much for the ice being thick enough! #3  
"the second time they had done this, the first time was about 3 years ago!"

I feel much better now, even my memory isn't that bad.:D

Dan

/ So much for the ice being thick enough! #4  
Wow thats crazy I would never put a tractor on ice
Lol

/ So much for the ice being thick enough! #6  
Yes they do. Thanks. Here's a link:Parks and Rec on thin ice

After seeing the photo I think I misidentified the tractor, doesn't make it any less funny.

Fred,

Thanks for the link. I was confused by the photo, but the tractor appears to be a commercial rear-engine machine with a front-mounted blower. (I'm a NH guy, and don't know anything about JD products.:))

On a positive note, at least they didn't try to use a backhoe again. Funny for us, but not for Lima taxpayers. :)

Steve

/ So much for the ice being thick enough! #7  
Taking any vehicle out on 2"-3" of ice is just plain insane! I live on Lake of the Woods, where ice fishing is practically a religion. Unfortunately, that also means that every year, some unfortunate souls lose thier lives to the lake. Maybe I'm a big baby, but I won't go out there unless the ice is at least 12"- 18" thick. I don't want to be a statistic.

Joe

/ So much for the ice being thick enough! #9  
Taking any vehicle out on 2"-3" of ice is just plain insane! I live on Lake of the Woods, where ice fishing is practically a religion. Unfortunately, that also means that every year, some unfortunate souls lose thier lives to the lake. Maybe I'm a big baby, but I won't go out there unless the ice is at least 12"- 18" thick. I don't want to be a statistic.

Joe
6 inches is perfectly safe for people............for equipment.............ain't much ice out there thick enough for mine:thumbsup:

/ So much for the ice being thick enough! #10  
I lived in northern Canada for 5 years and even in Fort McMurray, Alberta, December is still iffy on taking vehicles on the ice. Most of the local guys say 12" is good for vehicles. I want to relate on of my experiences on a small trout lake up there in Jan. The ice was plenty thick for walking and I grabbed my bucket and tackle and headed across a small cove to where I had had good luck in the summer. I was trudging across the frozen lake which had about 6" of snow on it and finally noticed a shining area directly where I was headed. I thought "That looks like open water. As I got a little closer, it was open water. I did a quick left turn and got myself back toward shore as quickly as possible. The rest of the lake was frozen at least 12" thick except for this area that was about 50 yards across. EVIDENTLY there was a spring flowing in that area that kept the water around it warm enough so it didnt freeze. Using my ice drill, I drilled several pilot holes and found that I could get fairly close to the area and still have 8" of ice under me. I could cast out into the open water with my lures and fish. Another time a friend and I were fishing there and the lake was maybe 16" of ice. We walked out drilled our holes and were fishing when some folks decided to drive out on the lake in their trucks. We were amazed to find the lake water rising out of the fishing holes as the trucks came closer and we could hear the ice cracking. The pressure wave was at least 100 yards in front of them and was forcing the water up out of the hole. They drove far to our right and set up some bore holes. Luckily they didnt go thru the ice that day but it made a believer out of my buddy and I. We wouldnt go out in our vehicles till at least 18" of ice was on the lake and this verified by walking around boring holes and measuring.