So much for the ice being thick enough!

/ So much for the ice being thick enough! #11  
Another time a friend and I were fishing there and the lake was maybe 16" of ice. We walked out drilled our holes and were fishing when some folks decided to drive out on the lake in their trucks. We were amazed to find the lake water rising out of the fishing holes as the trucks came closer and we could hear the ice cracking. The pressure wave was at least 100 yards in front of them and was forcing the water up out of the hole. They drove far to our right and set up some bore holes.

Ever seen "Ice Road Truckers"?

/ So much for the ice being thick enough! #12  
I had a scare myself trying to clear an ice rink on the lake behind my house here in Prior Lake, MN.

Walked out and drilled a test hole. Was about 14" of total ice, but the top 6 was kind of soft because of all the snow on top. There was still a good 8" of solid ice layer on the bottom so I thought it would be fine. There are lots of snowmobiles zipping across the lake and a few fishing shacks (but no cars yet).

I wanted to get the slushy snow off the ice so the skating rink would be good, so I took my JD 4100 with front snowblower out there (about 2000 lbs total). Things were going pretty good until the right front and rear tires went through a softer spot in the top crust and I got stuck as the wheels just dug there way down in the slushy stuff. I _knew_ there was plenty of hard ice underneath that it wasnt really going through, but it was pretty scary thinking that it might. The tip angle was disconcerting. Being stuck turned out to be quite annoying. I was able to get unstuck by wedging a piece of plywood under the back tire for some traction and backing out of the hole.

- Rick

/ So much for the ice being thick enough! #13  
This is what the mower looks like ....

If I were them, I would have started out with a 600 lb ATV (not a 1500 lb mower / snowblower)

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 195
   / So much for the ice being thick enough! #14  
Ever seen "Ice Road Truckers"?

just gonna say that:)Lets become famous and start ICE ROAD TRACTORS.
Anyone with an large ag tractor who wants to lead get going ill bring up the rear with my bx..but im stayin way in back of you:D
ALAN

/ So much for the ice being thick enough! #15  
just gonna say that:)Lets become famous and start ICE ROAD TRACTORS.
Anyone with an large ag tractor who wants to lead get going ill bring up the rear with my bx..but im stayin way in back of you:D
ALAN

count me in too! but I'm gonna be behind escavader just in case.:laughing:

/ So much for the ice being thick enough! #16  
"The ice where the machine went through was two to three inches thick"

People that foolish should not be operating snowblowers. Glad no one was hurt.

/ So much for the ice being thick enough! #17  
Funny Canadian story. We were visiting relatives near Edmonton , Alberta one winter. Went out where the boys were ice fishing and saw a bunch of cars on the ice. My BIL asks his uncle.."how do you know the ice is thick enough for a car?" In true fashion without hesitation uncle says" when you see another car out there" True story and still funny.:D:D

/ So much for the ice being thick enough! #18  
I hate when the ice fisherpeople ruin a perfect hockey rink.

Last week some of my buddies and I took our kids out to the dam to paly a little hockey and skate. Wouldn't you know some jack*ss starts using his power auger to drill a line of fishing holes about 40 ft from us.

/ So much for the ice being thick enough! #19  
Real ice fishermen cut their holes by hand using muscle power, not fossil fuels.

Or course I'm a guy who uses a canoe with paddles to get to my fishing spots; not some 5000hp bass boat that doubles as a drug running coast guard evader.

/ So much for the ice being thick enough! #20  
Real ice fishermen cut their holes by hand using muscle power, not fossil fuels.

Or course I'm a guy who uses a canoe with paddles to get to my fishing spots; not some 5000hp bass boat that doubles as a drug running coast guard evader.

So will you trade me your tractor for a wheel barrow and shovel. I will throw in the rake and snow shovel for free!