So, what happens to the grease?

/ So, what happens to the grease?
I think as you move the item very small amounts ooze out of the joints, dirt collects, and it dries and falls off.
Ahhhhhh. . . Yeah, that sounds reasonable.

/ So, what happens to the grease? #12  
. . . I hate having to grease that thing so often. It shouldn’t be a pain in the butt, but it is. It’s gotta be done, so I do it...
Since I bought one of these:

Quick coupler.jpg

I dont mind greasing at all. It used to be a real chore using a fitting which had to screwed on & off for every grease nipple (zerk?), especially as your hands got greasy, but this quick attach is so, well, quick and grease-tight.

Couple that with a good grease gun (mine's a Macnaught K29) and at the end of a session, you find yourself looking for something, anything, else to squirt some grease into! :giggle:

(There's a few different quick connects available, but the one in the pic was the first one I saw)

/ So, what happens to the grease? #13  
^^^^
I have one of those too! Great tool/fitting to have on the gun.

OP: Good question. I’ve been wondering the same thing myself...

Mike

/ So, what happens to the grease? #14  
Some of it must end up on the bottom of my boot because there is a greasy trail from the back door to the refrigerator.

gg

/ So, what happens to the grease? #15  
Here is where the grease is going on my JD 2720 where the linkage passes through the tunnel.
IMG_0816.JPG
IMG_0820.JPG
IMG_0822.JPG

/ So, what happens to the grease? #16  
Concur with the Lock and Lube making the job less of a grumble.

Using the longer fitting, which works with all the zerks on the Kubota, makes it easier to reach those recessed on the main arms of the FEL.

And I'm positive the grease which squeezes out does not fall to the ground...

...it only falls on the tractor!!!

/ So, what happens to the grease? #17  
I know it’s a stupid question, but. . . What the heck happens to all that grease I pump into that tractor? It doesn’t drip out, or leak. Does it just evaporate? I mean, I gotta tell ya. . . I hate having to grease that thing so often. It shouldn’t be a pain in the butt, but it is. It’s gotta be done, so I do it. I just don’t know where it all goes.
Grease is oil and soap to keep it where you apply it. If you hang your grease guns on a nail on the wall of your shop, in the summer time you notice you always have a drop of oil on the plunger handle and an oily mess under where you hang them. The oil leaks out over time, or evaporates and the soap gets rubbed off, or just falls off.

My big grease consumers are front axle king pins on my old greaseable Fords. Seems that every time I think it's been awhile since I greased the tractor, the kingpins take between 10-20 pumps of grease, and yes there is this blob of soap and dirt left where the grease oozed out the last time I greased them.

/ So, what happens to the grease? #18  
I pump enough grease in there to see it just oozing out at some of the joints. When I put more grease in, I pump 3-6 times before I see the grease oozing again. And those spots never seem to get bigger between greasing. I don’t know.

I read somewhere that this is the proper technique. Supposedly the old grease is what is being pushed out.

MoKelly

/ So, what happens to the grease? #19  
Man.... is my tractor the only so obviously building up a full layer of old grease? lol. It's everywhere, especially near all the loader pins. I keep trying to ignore it, but a full clean up will be required soon, probably take a whole roll of paper towels to get it off.

On other points, steering, etc, much is probably rubbed off or falls off in the woods here and there.

/ So, what happens to the grease?
Concur with the Lock and Lube making the job less of a grumble.

Using the longer fitting, which works with all the zerks on the Kubota, makes it easier to reach those recessed on the main arms of the FEL.

And I'm positive the grease which squeezes out does not fall to the ground...

...it only falls on the tractor!!!

yep, I noticed on Amazon there are 2 sizes. They have an XL size that in the picture showed to be about 5.5“ in overall length. Is that the one you’re talking about. And I can see that helping on some of the loader arm points.

Attachments

• DE0D3F4D-1A53-47EB-8D68-25A4D2D88D75.jpeg
    DE0D3F4D-1A53-47EB-8D68-25A4D2D88D75.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 75