Sockets -

/ Sockets - #12  
I just got a big set or stickers that are made for sockets. I did a internet search ,I think for socket wrench stickers? and found them there for very little $$ Included were sae and metric stickers as well as some other goodies like magnetic stickers to mark the toolbox drawers. Real nice for $20 bucks!!

How do these hold up to abuse? Seems like they would rub off ASAP?

Short of that I'm going with the eyeglass idea.

I've often thought of adding a touch of paint to separate between two confusing sockets such as maybe 1/2" and 9/16".
Then again, if I found more reasons to use them more often maybe identity would be easier?

/ Sockets - #13  
you can take white or yellow paint (like testors model paint) and lightly dab some over the lettering of the socket. Wipe it off with your finger and it paint should "stick" the the crevis of the marking leaving just the crevis filled with paint. Thus giving you high contrast markings.

/ Sockets - #14  
Not much will "stick" to chrome for any length of time. Glasses or stickers seem the most viable.

/ Sockets - #15  
How do these hold up to abuse? Seems like they would rub off ASAP?

I really did just get them, and have not put them to a test yet, I think that they should hold ok with todays adheasives, heck I put the ventshades on my pu tk in 01 (double sided tape) I didn't think that would work either.