soft shackle users?

/ soft shackle users? #31  
Honestly, you guys should just make your own. Single braid is incredibly easy to splice and to create shackles of this type. If you get into double braid, dyneema or vectran with a more durable outer sheath as I had mentioned early in this thread, then things get a little more complicated. But all those I've seen pictured so far are simple single braid, easy. I don't even use a fid, I just use a coat hanger bent in half and threaded thru an old drumstick as a handle.

/ soft shackle users? #32  
Chain is working load limit,. A third or fourth of break strength.

The rating on the cloth is the break point.
Correct, and with those same safety factors the soft shackle is still as strong or stronger.

/ soft shackle users?
Honestly, you guys should just make your own. Single braid is incredibly easy to splice and to create shackles of this type. If you get into double braid, dyneema or vectran with a more durable outer sheath as I had mentioned early in this thread, then things get a little more complicated. But all those I've seen pictured so far are simple single braid, easy. I don't even use a fid, I just use a coat hanger bent in half and threaded thru an old drumstick as a handle.
Would you like to make us some?

/ soft shackle users? #34  
If you want to see them in use, look at the Youtube channels for Matt's Off-Road Recovery, Fab Rats, or Trail Mater. They use them for off road recoveries, along with kinetic recovery ropes. They also use synthetic rope for their winches.

/ soft shackle users?
If you want to see them in use, look at the Youtube channels for Matt's Off-Road Recovery, Fab Rats, or Trail Mater. They use them for off road recoveries, along with kinetic recovery ropes. They also use synthetic rope for their winches.
Me personally, I use poly ropes for everything. Only exception is choking and dragging logs.
bossworks909.jpg

/ soft shackle users? #36  
I honestly only use chains to tie down the mini on the trailer.

I keep 4 different straps in the truck. I do have steel clevises for certain applications but mainly use rope.

Winch cables are rope also.

If something breaks, I don't want steel coming back at me with all that energy.

/ soft shackle users?
I honestly only use chains to tie down the mini on the trailer.

I keep 4 different straps in the truck. I do have steel clevises for certain applications but mainly use rope.

Winch cables are rope also.

If something breaks, I don't want steel coming back at me with all that energy.
I appreciate the stretch you can get with some poly or nylon straps. Seems that allows less chance of them coming loose.

/ soft shackle users? #38  
I gotta try one of those kinetic straps. We use straps alot. We do alot of off roading, mainly sand dunes.

For soft shackles, I use rhino 1/2". They say breaking point is 46k lbs. My biggest strap is 30k rated.

Had a straps that was rated for 100k but it was "lost" when the moving company moved our household goods from AK to MI.

Was at a rural wedding about 3 years ago. All the guests parked in a field and it was a wet time of year. Think I pulled out about 30 vehicles using a 20k strap and soft shackles. You could basically watch a Ford 3/4 ton sink during the ceremony.

/ soft shackle users? #39  
I gotta try one of those kinetic straps. We use straps alot. We do alot of off roading, mainly sand dunes.

For soft shackles, I use rhino 1/2". They say breaking point is 46k lbs. My biggest strap is 30k rated.

Had a straps that was rated for 100k but it was "lost" when the moving company moved our household goods from AK to MI.

Was at a rural wedding about 3 years ago. All the guests parked in a field and it was a wet time of year. Think I pulled out about 30 vehicles using a 20k strap and soft shackles. You could basically watch a Ford 3/4 ton sink during the ceremony.
You have to be very careful, they contain so much energy, strap points are very important, and remember to never use a hitch ball as a strap point.

also realize you only get about 4 -6 pulls before the straps need to take a break...

/ soft shackle users? #40  
I use one of those hitches that have a clevis. I don't use a ball hitch to to pull some one. Luckily on that day it was mostly cars where no serious stress was needed, just some pressure to get them moving.

That 3/4 ton was another story. He was almost to the hubs with street tires.