Solar Power Shed Project

/ Solar Power Shed Project #21  
any thought to useing forklift batteries instead of the ones you chose?

I have considered an alternitive energy plan for quite some time, based around a "small" 2K wind generator with say 500w of solar. Not so much off grid, but as a suppliment with a reverse meter so i could sell back to the power company when demand was low (ie durring the day when im not home, or durring the evening while sleeping)

With such a system I can greatly reduce the amount of battery i need (no effective reason for storeing the engergy) which would greatly reduce the cost of the project.

I just meet with my local power company about removing the overhead that supplys my property and going underground. At the same time increaseing the amount of current i could get. We determined that the best bet would be to go primary (12Kv) underground (400+ feet) with a small padmount transformer off the corner of my barn. That would be able to supply the 600 +- amps im looking for. (200 machine shop, 200 barn/apt, 200 new house)

/ Solar Power Shed Project
schmism,
Thanks for asking but I'm not that familiar with forklift batteries other than the one in my forklift...which is a dinky one. (It's gasoline engine) Hahaha. But my situation differs from yours as I will need as much storage as posssible. I know you're planning on setting up a full machine shop and I am too, so you know the demand just right there. Also, not being tied to the grid really leaves no option but to store the energy for night use...that in conjuction with our plans to minimize generator usage to almost zero. These batteries are pretty hefty with 503 Amphr @ 100hr each. I am not certain fork lift batteries can do what we want?

/ Solar Power Shed Project #23  
fork trucks have all the same requirements as you.... long durration use, but also quick charge times.

with the addtional functionality of pre-built groups of cells ranging up to 40v

they look like
exide_grp.jpg

reading some of the promational info on the above bats looks like

800 amphr cell @40v for 133amps per hr is typical usage. with 5+ life spans =1000's of cycles.

so essentally the same thing as what your useing... the question is how do they compair in price.

course if you really want to get serious about your bats, just source some from an old desiel electric sub. were you find those though i dont know :eek:

WOW, that's good information and thanks. Unfortunately you may have seen the photos above and I already have bought mine. I will pass this information on to my contractor to see what he says. Maybe he can recommend them his other clients if they meet the system's requirements. Do you have any idea of the cost? One thing I see already is the batteries I bought have a 10 year warranty on them.

/ Solar Power Shed Project #25  
cost is the big issue which is why i was wanting to know if you reserched it.

from my limited reserch it can varry WIDELY!

word has it you can get refurbished "used" cells fairly cheeply at the expense of reduced capacity. ON the flip side gell cell version (no venting problems) have a lot longer and better "used" life because of the "dont have to put water in it" problem/issue.

Overall the biggest problem ive seen with "homeowners" useing them is moveing them. Unlike yours which are basicly hand moveable, some of the forklift cells can weight upwards of 4000lbs each (after all you want weight in a forklift to offset the fork'd weight) not real easy for a homeowner type to move.

the largest cell in that pic i posted is like 3'x3'x2' or something "huge" like that.

I would say the definint advanage for yours is the warrentee. but like anything else if you can get something for a 1/3 the cost that last half as long.... do you still not come out ahead if you have to buy them twice as often??...considering developing tech also? (But then again this battery tech is still the same as it was umteen years ago.... lead acid cells) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

anyway just food for thought for "next time" or for the next guy

/ Solar Power Shed Project #26  
how bout some pics of thse fancy tracker systems for the PV pannels?

btw whats your cost per watt on the pannels?

ive heard the "killer deal" price was like $5 per watt

I'll be digging the footing holes for the trackers this weekend but the Watsons have not arrived yet. So pics of them will be a ways off yet. The 200w Sharp panels are about $1,000 each so they're right at the $5 per watt range. I am getting them for cost so they may actually be less than that! I told you we had them out to test them and they produce bang on their rated watts....that's very good.

/ Solar Power Shed Project #28  
woooh hold on...........

$5 a watt? killer deal??

I paid $3.50 at advanced solar... kyrocera 125watt producers, 25year waranty....... on any good panel 25yr or you shouldnt buy them!

OK so now I'll have to drag out my contract to see exactly how much they were.:)
Were the Sharp 200's out yet when you bought your kyrocera?

/ Solar Power Shed Project #30  
ok perhaps not "killer deal" more like the price point... more than that and you should keep shopping... less than that and your doing ok for price.

i suppose killer deal would be freee :D