Solar Tube

/ Solar Tube #1  

walleyed

Bronze Member
Tractor
B1700 Bota
Have any of you had these installed in your home? I have been looking at them for a couple dark areas.

My worry is the amount of actual light they let in vs the heat loss and condensation issues. I have had skylights in the past as was never impressed. Lots of heat loss and they all dripped condensation.

There are a few manufactures out there. Here is one of them.

Solatube Daylighting System and Tubular Daylighting Devices for residential or commercial daylighting and sunlighting needs are the smart, green and environmentally friendly alternative to traditional skylights

/ Solar Tube #2  
Yes... installed several here in a mild California climate... no problems with condensation.

Last one was in a walk-in closet and it made a big improvement.

/ Solar Tube #3  
I've installed three in Michigan. Two 14" and one 10". They have been in place for 5 years and no issues. I did insulate the outside by wrapping them in 6" fiberglass. The installation on a shingle roof is a piece of cake.

Definitely go with the larger tubes - the difference in light is huge. Plan the job carefully. If you are too near the roof line the tube will be too long and if too near the peak the tube will be too short and you will need an extension tube - extra $$

/ Solar Tube #4  
We have two of thr 10" in our house in Central Texas. One is in the kitchen over the sink and the other is in the master bath shower.

Both of them replaced existing light fixtures and are in areas that did not have good natural light. We have had them for 2 or 3 years now and couldn't be happier with them.

/ Solar Tube #5  
We've had one from when they first came out. I installed it myself. It's the second bath and has no windows. If it's daylight outside it's like we have a nice light on in the room. I recommend the heck out of them. And, they're smile as heck to install yourself.

/ Solar Tube
Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

I'm going to get one for now for an ensuite bathroom that has no windows. I will insulate the tube in the attic to try to eliminate the condensation. If this one works out I'll add another.

Is there a particular brand you would recommend? I have found 5-6 of them. Home depot up here sells Columbia. Made in BC. Also available local is Velux

Thanks

/ Solar Tube #7  
My visiting friends from Austria liked what they saw at my home and tracked down a supplier in Austria... they couldn't be happier and all their friends had never seen one either.

It snows a lot in the Alps...

/ Solar Tube #8  
I put a velux tube in my laundry room and I love it. It was a pita to put the very flimsy tube together as mine is about 11 ft with 2 elbows . With that said i LOVE it!! I did wrap the tube with tyvek then fiberglass insulation; might be overkill but……

/ Solar Tube #9  
I believe I have seen several on my neighbours roof and I do not like the exterior look of how they stick up. On how they look I would not want that look on my roof.
Craig Clayton

/ Solar Tube #10  
I believe I have seen several on my neighbours roof and I do not like the exterior look of how they stick up. On how they look I would not want that look on my roof.
Craig Clayton

Sometimes you have the option of running it out the rear side of the roof so it isn't seen from the street.

My brother should have been a sales rep... lots of folks walk in his neighborhood when the weather is nice in the evening... I bet he was responsible for at least a dozen sales...

Neighbors would see and ask and then want to take a look inside.