Solar Tube

/ Solar Tube
I believe I have seen several on my neighbours roof and I do not like the exterior look of how they stick up. On how they look I would not want that look on my roof.
Craig Clayton

I'm with ya on that Craig but from what I've seen some are not bad while others sit about 24" above the roof and almost look like a chimney. I don't think I'd want several together either as that might look tacky. Mine will be on the back side so nobody will see them except us.

I have seen some installed but I have no idea which brand they were. One place I was looking for the light switch to turn it off. Thought it was a light... Did I feel dumb

They do give off a ton of light and for me its rooms with no natural light so the trade off is good.

/ Solar Tube #12  
I have three SolaTubes installed in 2006. No condensation issues. They are all on a north slope roof and still give plenty of light. We have had guests looking for the light switch too. :)

For Ontario, one caution is that they can get buried in snow. I have a metal roof, and being dumb about that, didn't put snow fences above them until a slide took the plastic dome right off of one. :eek:

I clean around them with the snow rake after every snow that is more than a couple inches. You might want to consider above the roof extensions to help reduce that chore. Or, maybe avoid locations not within easy reach of a snow rake.

They are great products but the design or idea is marginal for harsh winter climates.
Dave.

/ Solar Tube #13  
The main bathroom in my last house had no outside walls so no natural light. I put in a 10" Sola tube and was very pleased with the result. No condensation problems, often covered with snow but still quite a bit of light came in. Dazzling amount of light in summer, even a full moon would light the room enough to find things without turning on the lights. No snow slides on the shingle roof.
Once problem was that a roofer dropped his hatchet through it, broke the ceiling diffuser and took a divot out of the sink. :mad::mad::mad: None of them are allowed in my yard again.:mad:

/ Solar Tube
I have three SolaTubes installed in 2006. No condensation issues. They are all on a north slope roof and still give plenty of light. We have had guests looking for the light switch too. :)

For Ontario, one caution is that they can get buried in snow. I have a metal roof, and being dumb about that, didn't put snow fences above them until a slide took the plastic dome right off of one. :eek:

I clean around them with the snow rake after every snow that is more than a couple inches. You might want to consider above the roof extensions to help reduce that chore. Or, maybe avoid locations not within easy reach of a snow rake.

They are great products but the design or idea is marginal for harsh winter climates.
Dave.

Thank you. I thought about snow but not snow-ice sliding on a steel roof. Your post likely saved me some $ for repair...

/ Solar Tube
a roofer dropped his hatchet through it, broke the ceiling diffuser and took a divot out of the sink. :mad::mad::mad: None of them are allowed in my yard again.:mad:

Wow
Good thing you weren't standing there brushing your teeth..We might have seen you on 1001 ways to die.

/ Solar Tube #16  
Thank you. I thought about snow but not snow-ice sliding on a steel roof. Your post likely saved me some $ for repair...

You are welcome! I have saved many $ from advice on TBN. It's a good thing. :thumbsup:

The good thing about snow fences on metal roofs is they will protect penetrations like septic vents, chimneys, solatubes, etc. The bad news is that a few snow fences here and there tend to lock up the snow across big sections of your roof preventing it from sliding off. Sort of defeats one of the nice things about metal roofs. For that reason, I would keep penetrations as high on a metal roof as possible.

I like my solatubes because they bring natural light into our bathrooms and a back hallway, which is a great improvement over artificial light. Our house is earth-bermed on three sides so any enclosed rooms along the back wall can be dark. But, they definitely do add to maintenance chores in winter. As in most things, there are trade-offs. :)
Dave.

/ Solar Tube #17  
Glad to hear all the positive responses, I've thought about one for my house.
My upstairs hallway has no windows and if all the bedroom doors are closed it's so dark and gloomy.
I've seen where people have put frosted window between hall and bedroom or bathroom. I think the solar tube would be better.

How much of a bend/offset can you have to still let in decent light?

JB.

/ Solar Tube #18  
Glad to hear all the positive responses, I've thought about one for my house.
My upstairs hallway has no windows and if all the bedroom doors are closed it's so dark and gloomy.
I've seen where people have put frosted window between hall and bedroom or bathroom. I think the solar tube would be better.

How much of a bend/offset can you have to still let in decent light?

JB.

Good question. Mine are short and straight, so no help there. It's possible some brands are better than others for a specific installation. I've never run across info that does a point by point comparison.
Dave.

/ Solar Tube #19  
I'm anti sky lights of any kind. Mostly because of all the long terms issues that I've seen from them leaking or the plastic deteriorating or the damage that is doen to the paper and shingles around them during instalation. The older the shingles and paper under the shingles, the more brittle they are, and the more likely you are to create problems down the road by disturbing them.

Your ceiling is the most important area for insultion. Creating a hole in your ceiling means there is no R value in that area. Kind of like putting a hole in a boat. It wont sink, but it's going to let water in. How much heat will go up and out through that skylight?

For the cost of the light, the price to install it and the loss of energy you lose because of it, why not install a 40 watt light bulb?

Eddie

/ Solar Tube #20  
Hey Dave, bet you don't need a very long ladder to get on your roof :)>. I have an earth berm home also.