Some more well questions and a whatisit

/ Some more well questions and a whatisit #41  
I did not even realize that TMG was close to you. They just had a nice photo of a mud tub set up that was not full of mud. I had not heard of them before and assumed they only made environmental drills.

/ Some more well questions and a whatisit
I did not even realize that TMG was close to you. They just had a nice photo of a mud tub set up that was not full of mud. I had not heard of them before and assumed they only made environmental drills.

Doing alot of reading, it would appear that I may have miscalculated the ease at which this might go ( imagine that :) ) Starting out I assumed that I needed a drilling rig and some water to drill with end of story, Im becoming more educated.

I will need to educate myself on the use/mix ratio of bentonite and any other additives that I might need, I need to test the water I plan to use in the drilling process so that I can make adjustments so that any bentonite or additives I need to use work as efficiently as possible.

Can you give me any tips toward any of this?

I know all of this is important because too much cake will deter water flow thru my screen at the minimum.

I also need to become more educated on well development, there is no straightforward step by step avail online for all situations cause I understand circumstances are constantly changing.

I am confident that all of this can be done, this guy Sunmoy drilling rig review - YouTube has done what I plan to do successfully and gone down 120 feet with his similar rig and I can guarantee that he is no more ambitious than I am.

/ Some more well questions and a whatisit #44  
I do not know what mixture to mix the bentonite at. I just carry the bags and dig the mud pit out when it gets full when I help with a drill job. My knowledge is much stronger on the equipment side as my primary tasks are fixing it. From what I have read there is a science to mud mixing. I know you mix it heavier for sand than rock. Sorry for not being able to shine much light on it.

You will have to clean the bentonite out of the bottom of the well anyhow to get it to produce. Drill rigs have large air compressors mounted on them to do this. The rig I am use to has a 660 CFM compressor to do this. It will create a nice geyser when turned on full blast. If you fail to get the bentonite out then you will have to pull the screen and clean it again. I know the county park had a well drilled and the driller failed to clean it out properly. After some fighting between the park and the driller. In the end the guy I help got called in and pulled the screen and cleaned the well out. I am not sure what size compressor he used, it was probable a 250 or 350 cfm unit.

I watched the video you linked to and was very concerned with the comment "if you end your day with half a pipe you cant break it free with the machine you have to use a pipe wrench". That little of torque concerns me as the machine should have the ability to break joints no problem. Have you reviewed the drill logs of any of the wells near you? If you can check with your neighbors and see who has good water, you can then pull their drill log and see what formation you need to drill into. If your going to have to drill into rock this machine will not work. The lack of pull down combined with drag bits will result in nothing more than a worn out drag bit and a hole with bad water. The drill stem does not weigh enough to put the pressure needed on a tricone to drill rock. The only option would be to put a down hole hammer on the drill string and pound a hole. Down hole hammers are not cheap.

I do not know what mixture to mix the bentonite at. I just carry the bags and dig the mud pit out when it gets full when I help with a drill job. My knowledge is much stronger on the equipment side as my primary tasks are fixing it. From what I have read there is a science to mud mixing. I know you mix it heavier for sand than rock. Sorry for not being able to shine much light on it.

You will have to clean the bentonite out of the bottom of the well anyhow to get it to produce. Drill rigs have large air compressors mounted on them to do this. The rig I am use to has a 660 CFM compressor to do this. It will create a nice geyser when turned on full blast. If you fail to get the bentonite out then you will have to pull the screen and clean it again. I know the county park had a well drilled and the driller failed to clean it out properly. After some fighting between the park and the driller. In the end the guy I help got called in and pulled the screen and cleaned the well out. I am not sure what size compressor he used, it was probable a 250 or 350 cfm unit.

I watched the video you linked to and was very concerned with the comment "if you end your day with half a pipe you cant break it free with the machine you have to use a pipe wrench". That little of torque concerns me as the machine should have the ability to break joints no problem. Have you reviewed the drill logs of any of the wells near you? If you can check with your neighbors and see who has good water, you can then pull their drill log and see what formation you need to drill into. If your going to have to drill into rock this machine will not work. The lack of pull down combined with drag bits will result in nothing more than a worn out drag bit and a hole with bad water. The drill stem does not weigh enough to put the pressure needed on a tricone to drill rock. The only option would be to put a down hole hammer on the drill string and pound a hole. Down hole hammers are not cheap.

Thanks for the effort, yes looked at drill logs locally and the casings are placed in sand with a screen.

Im still collecting info, received an excellent link last night on another forum which I am going thru now, definitely more knowedge is needed than I had initially thought I.E not as easy as portable well rig suppliers make it seem.

/ Some more well questions and a whatisit #46  
Any updates on this 1930? I am curious on your progress.

Any updates on this 1930? I am curious on your progress.

Just a few days ago ( last Thursday ) I was approved for a large loan, ( 100K ) for me its a large loan, maybe for some of you guys its pocket change. Its enough money to buy the building ( Ive had my heart set on a pre-fabricated steel building I.E Barndominium ) lay the slab, possibly pay someone to erect it, buy the doors and windows and basically get it all closed in and looking decent. Nothing more, no interior work no nothing but I do EVERY bit of that work myself, I have alot of experience and for me its enjoyable.

These past few days Ive been working with a local gentleman ( only a few parcels away from me ) that is going thru the process of getting permits and buying the same type of structure, they are an unknown in Marion County and not many in Florida period. Big in Texas. Ive been learning the process of getting one of these buildings through the red tape and also been working on some designing.

I havent received money, bank said that would take a few weeks but did tell me its a done deal so with that idea I decided it would be best to have someone come out and put a well in for me. I simply have too much now on my plate.

Pay someone probably as low as 3500 ( possibly could go higher ) all done pump and all or continue with this transaction and have 3500 into all day long and still have the curve of learning a new trade ( well drilling ) Just too much considering what I have to deal with now.

Drill still hadnt shipped because I was waiting for it to be built and then I have a broker that has dragged his feet with paperwork.

When I applied I didnt think I would get loan, I have an excellent credit score ( 797 ) but I have never had alot of credit dealings, I bought my house many years ago and worked 7 days a week and paid it off in a short time, Ive had and still have credit cards ( only maybe 2 ) but either dont use them or pay them off right away or as soon as I can.

I drive old beat down cars and trucks. Always have

At first idea of getting the loan I was excited, now I am not sure how I feel about the situation. Im not sure I want to get back into debt, Im roughly 50 years old and I am not a young man anymore who can do young things ( like pay a mortgage off in a few years )

I understand that maybe some people will feel I have wasted their time with all my questions but because someone asked I have to give an honest answer.

I feel blessed to have had the opportunity to have learned so much about well drilling with people pointing me in directions where I could find material to learn all that I have learned. I have truly enjoyed the experience.

I am confident I have learned more about drilling wells ( the actual process with one of these portable well drilling rigs ) than most people will ever care to know and for me learning new things IS the fountain of youth.

I now have to decide if Im gonna accept the loan and push thru with my project, I had planned to save what money I needed and in a few years ( Feb 2023 was my goal date ) start the building process.

This is all causing me alot of stress and so I have to deal with all of this emotionally which I find difficult.

Thank you for asking

/ Some more well questions and a whatisit #48  
One thought on your loan, if you have an wife and/or kids that will inherit the place, a lot of loans have available (for a nominal fee) an insurance policy that pays the loan off if you pass away.

Aaron Z

I still have hopes of living forever but thanks

/ Some more well questions and a whatisit #50  
1930 I cannot imagine what you are going through with the loan. I am a younger guy and still have not bought a place. The concept of a loan scares me. I drive an older car and work two jobs, trying to save up money to buy a place. I think that your probability of having a better well increases significantly by having a pro drill one. I would look at the money spent as a better deal since the well a pro will put in will most likely produce more since it has a larger casing, and a professional install. A 2" casing will not produce very well and you potentially would have had to put in a second well to meet your requirements. We just put in a well at a house that had three 2" wells tied together to get the water they needed. We put in a 4" well and the home owner was amazed that we filled the pressure tank in minutes. You did not waste anyone's time, as I believe you made the correct choice in having a pro do the work. This thread is here permanently so it can help others who have the same questions or ideas. There are hardly any threads on drilling wells or the process for well work. I also look at old threads all the time to find answers to my questions for all types of subjects. Start a build thread of your Barndominium, we all love to watch others projects. For me the forums are all about watching others projects, which is why I have a low annual post count.