Some more well questions and a whatisit

/ Some more well questions and a whatisit
1930 I cannot imagine what you are going through with the loan. I am a younger guy and still have not bought a place. The concept of a loan scares me. I drive an older car and work two jobs, trying to save up money to buy a place. I think that your probability of having a better well increases significantly by having a pro drill one. I would look at the money spent as a better deal since the well a pro will put in will most likely produce more since it has a larger casing, and a professional install. A 2" casing will not produce very well and you potentially would have had to put in a second well to meet your requirements. We just put in a well at a house that had three 2" wells tied together to get the water they needed. We put in a 4" well and the home owner was amazed that we filled the pressure tank in minutes. You did not waste anyone's time, as I believe you made the correct choice in having a pro do the work. This thread is here permanently so it can help others who have the same questions or ideas. There are hardly any threads on drilling wells or the process for well work. I also look at old threads all the time to find answers to my questions for all types of subjects. Start a build thread of your Barndominium, we all love to watch others projects. For me the forums are all about watching others projects, which is why I have a low annual post count.

Thanks for understanding. Not that you asked ( and since you said you were young ) Id offer some advice.

1- You say you want to save for a house....good for you, its the only investment that I am aware of that will most probably bring you a return, focus on that goal, do not deviate from that goal and some more tips below

2- Dont have any kids or at least dont have any until you are married and you both have some firm roots planted in the ground, kids are awfully expensive ( if its too late then so be it, dosent mean you are screwed only means you can teach your kids a valuable lesson in money management ( something not so surprisingly never taught in schools)

3- Dont use credit cards any more than you have too and only use them with the idea of building a credit history ( revolving ) so that when you finally do apply for a mortgage you have greater chance of approval. Ive always pretty much paid cash for everything.

4- Dont try to keep up with the Jones family down the street, nearly everyone around you is living off of credit whether it be credit cards or some type of loan. When you go to buy a house keep it simple, they offered me/tried to push a mortgage loan that was twice what I wanted to get into, they repeatedly kept asking me why would I only accept x amount when I was approved for xxx amount.

I have Jim Handy automotive filmstrips from the 20s, ( silent movies ) offering credit to buy a vehicle was a new thing but watching ( and reading/listening to record ) these films you'd swear you were looking at a film made yesterday in that the sales pitch was blatantly fashioned around getting a person to sign the dotted line no matter what means necessary.

Our government wants slaves to do their work ( worker ant theory ) and that means making all of us think if we aren't driving a 60 thousand + dollar diesel truck ( and staying in debt ) than we are shiz.......Im not shiz and I have driven a 1996 Toyota Tercel that gets 35-41 MPG for many many years. ( I have 4 of them )

I have a little money in the bank, I have a home I was able to pay off quickly and I have some land I am able to work with my tractor.

I dont have the latest anything, I dont have a supermodel wife, pretty much everything I have is old but thats OK cause I like old things, old things last longer.

As far as the well is concerned I am pretty sure I would have been successful, the machine has the ability of drilling a 6 inch hole for a 4 inch casing, I would have done this eventually and I dont care that technically I am not supposed to do this.

It would have taken ALOT of trial and error, trial and error costs money, bags of Bentonite are not cheap, time is not cheap, its just a matter of weighing options.

When I purchased drill I though all I had to do was drill a hole till I hit water and drop my pipe ( thats all you will find in any video )

You have to drill a hole, keep the hole open while drilling, keep it full of fluid while drilling, develop the well ( which isnt easy since you have essentially plugged the well with your well drilling additives ) gravel pack the well, develop the well more and then wish for the best.

Id still like to try it one day when I have extra time but right now just isnt the time for me.

Good luck

/ Some more well questions and a whatisit #52  

I understand that maybe some people will feel I have wasted their time with all my questions but because someone asked I have to give an honest answer.

I feel blessed to have had the opportunity to have learned so much about well drilling with people pointing me in directions where I could find material to learn all that I have learned. I have truly enjoyed the experience.

I am confident I have learned more about drilling wells ( the actual process with one of these portable well drilling rigs ) than most people will ever care to know and for me learning new things IS the fountain of youth.

Thank you for asking
Wasted their time?? Not at all. The purpose of this forum is to get help via knowledge and guidance that others have and are willing to share. I've been told before to learn from other peoples mistakes because I'll make enough of my own. So this thread (among others) is a learning experience and in the process of learning if we change our mind as to what the right solution is, then the thread has served it's purpose. I've not commented before about the process, but I've watched it. I'm interested in the hand drilling because there are folks around me that have an interest in getting wells drilled in Africa and have no idea what the process is. So, many people are benefitting from your question, research, and the answers on this forum. Thank you for bringing up the question.