Somehow this didn't look safe

/ Somehow this didn't look safe #11  
That would certainly make me look twice. Never seen something like that before.

When crossing Idaho years back, I did see a pickup towing a RV trailer which was towing a boat on it's own trailer. That looked pretty strange.

We see that all the time around here.

/ Somehow this didn't look safe

When crossing Idaho years back, I did see a pickup towing a RV trailer which was towing a boat on it's own trailer. That looked pretty strange.

That is piggybacking. Legal on certain roads with the proper license .

/ Somehow this didn't look safe #14  

I see it occasionally in Florida, but wondered about it. I passed one that was fueling up, and at the next rest area stopped and asked a FDOT officer about it (Florida has some sort of law enforcement in all rest areas after dark). I asked if it required Doubles/Triples on a CDL to operate, and was informed that ONLY Commercial vehicles were allowed doubles in Florida, and only with a 5th wheel setup, so a motorhome pulling a tow vehicle with a boat trailer behind that is not legal in Florida. That extended nose car dollie is probably the engineering result of states with laws similar to Florida, to allow people to haul more play toys at one time.
David from jax

/ Somehow this didn't look safe #15  

That looks pretty safe to me (assuming a properly rated tow vehicle and that you got the brake option).

I think though, that if you are going to spend that much money, you would be better suited by getting a car hauler trailer and adding side ramps to the front.

Edit: or something like this: http://www.kaufmantrailers.com/heav...-Tilt-Deck-Diamond-Floor-Car-Hauler-p309.html and add a hydraulic pump to give you power tilt for the deck.

Aaron Z

Last edited:
   / Somehow this didn't look safe #16  

Yeah, the laws vary from state to state. I know that Oregon and Idaho allow tripples on comercial rigs. Washington doesn't. When they hit the state line they have to drop the tripple and can only run a double. They have to go back for the other trailer. On POVs, Washinton only allows a single tow vehicle.

/ Somehow this didn't look safe #17  

I see 10 of these rigs every weekend at the lake I go to. Many guys with a F-350, 35' 5th wheel, and a 21' boat.

I have double pulled a 10,000# 27' boat and a 3 person jetski in tandem behind my old F-150. Crossed 3 states and about 800 miles with no issue. The hitch I welded up was interesting. I had to have a 5' long draw bar to clear the outdrive on the boat. We used 2 ratchet straps to snug it up and take the bounce out of it going from the hitch to the tow rings on the back of the boat.

Chris

/ Somehow this didn't look safe #18  

Maybe where you live but its 100% legal around here with any license on all roads as long as you are not over 65' or 70' depending on which of the 6 or so states I travel routinely.

Chris

/ Somehow this didn't look safe #20  
One of my neighbors asked me to help him load his 1910 Ford tractor with FEL and bush hog onto 18 ft. bumper pull trailer after we placed a box blade on front of trailer. Truck was Ford F-150 Super Crew. No problems with that at all even though the bush hog was hanging off the trailer a little. I thought he was going down the road to one of his fields until he hooked the whole rig to his 40 ft. diesel pusher motor home. Brakes on truck did work with motor home but no brakes on trailer. He did not understand why I told him I would not be involved in loading that set up again.

Last edited: