Sound like a scam to you?

/ Sound like a scam to you? #1  

pitt_md

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5000
advertized my tiller for sale in the local craigs list. You would not believe the number of people that are all to busy with important obligations to even come see it but are willing to send me a bank note, chaiers check etc.

"Thank for your mail. I'm satisfied with the condition of it as advertised in the listing,i will like to add $100 to your final price for you to keep off from all offer,and consider it sold to me alone as i am serious with this.I would like you to know that i am really interested in buying this for my father,payment will be through PayPal and the pick up will be arranged by me as i will have my agent come down to pick it up...i will be waiting to hear from you,and i will like you to send me the name and email address on the PayPal account to send the payment and send me more pics of this item if available since i would not be seen it in person so i can pay it right away I am a busy at work and do not have much time around me.Make sure you get back to me so that we can arrange for pick up as i will like the item to be picked at your residence,so no shipping

Thanks and reply asap.

.."

My response - Payment will be made in cash (USD). I have other cash offers. First come first served.

His reply - Thanks for the message ....the reason why PayPal is the only payment option is because it is safe and secure and as soon as i make the payment for it,you will be sent a notification for the payment receipt in this your email ....that is if you use this your email address to set up the paypal account and i have a mover that will come over for the pick up and the pick up representatives only comes up when we have finish the deal so don't worry i will be the one to take care of the pick up expenses ok. i will be glad if you can log on to www.paypal.com and set up your account and send me email use to set up and i will suggest you make use of this your email address so when i make the payment you will be notify of the receipt from
PayPal instantly.
i look to read from you soon.

/ Sound like a scam to you? #2  
YES! Its a scam. They're all over the place out on the net- check the wording -probably a 'bot' seeking anyone who sets up the requested Paypal account.

/ Sound like a scam to you? #3  
Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck....

At least the English and grammar are correct.

/ Sound like a scam to you? #4  
Break out the La ronge sauce!:licking:

/ Sound like a scam to you? #5  
In all likelihood, you could expect to get a faked PayPal confirmation email saying something like "ship now and the funds will show in your account after the buyer takes delivery on the item".

Even if a transaction actually were processed through PayPal, the buyer could do so with a stolen or fraudulent credit card number, in which case PayPal would come after you to cover the charge back the CC company would eventually slap them with.

Craigslist is safest as a local, cash only, on delivery, transaction, done at a safe location.

Nick

/ Sound like a scam to you? #6  
In God we trust...

All others pay cash.

Words to live by

/ Sound like a scam to you? #7  
Craigslist is safest as a local, cash only, on delivery, transaction, done at a safe location.

Nick

Amen, Brother!

BTW, if you do respond to this type of "buyer" (and I strongly suggest you do not!), never use your personal e-mail address. Use a hotmail, yahoo...something like that. At least, if they do sell your e-mail address, your main e-main won't be flooded with spam.

/ Sound like a scam to you? #8  
Then there are the replys that are too short such as "Interested", "Are those miles real?", "Still have the xxxx?". Is this protocol to start a discussion? Seems more like someone fishing to me.

/ Sound like a scam to you? #9  
You would not believe the number of people that are all to busy with important obligations to even come see it but are willing to send me a bank note, chaiers check etc.

And each and everyone of those guys is a scammer. And people fall for them all the time (or we wouldn't see the volume of scammer emails and such that we do...)