Soundproofing the B3030 Cab and found something interesting

/ Soundproofing the B3030 Cab and found something interesting #91  
I have to say I am really, really glad I put the stereo in. So much better than earphones. And I'm glad it worked out better than some of the other folks who weren't all that happy with their stereos in their B3030 cabs in the past. I think the speaker location is key, as it's directed right at your ears. I can't imagine the factory speaker location can do much good at all.

Still want to address a few more things regarding sound proofing/sound control to see if I can build on the improvements, but overall, I'm pleased with the results of the "sound proofing" project and the stereo project.

Thanks WaxMan for what you've done and the ideas you've come up with - they were a big help.

/ Soundproofing the B3030 Cab and found something interesting #92  
I've had a chance to spend a little more time in my cab since I've done the modifications. Though the modifications did not completely isolate hydro noise from the cab, they did help to control the amount of noise bouncing around inside the cab, which seems to make a big difference in how bad the outside tractor noises impact in-cab comfort. I've also gone back and further plugged up some of the various penetrations, more for overall dust control, but they've seemed to also impact sound transmission.

The more time I spend in the cab, the more I am enjoying the sound modifications. In addition, the stereo sounds great, and possibly with the combination of sound control modifications and location of speakers, I am completely pleased with the stereo install and overall sound quality when at operating RPMs.

It seems I was more fortunate with my B3000 compared to the B3030 cabs as far as how much dust made it into the cab, but there's no doubt that there are ways to cut down on the dust entry if you want to spend a little time dealing with it. Some cheap foam can do wonders with dust control.

At this point, I can say I recommend doing these sound modifications to any B3030 or B3000 if you're not pleased with all the noise & dust getting into your cab.

I expect that once I do my 50 hour service, I will see a noticeable decrease in hydro whine, as I saw on my B3030 open station when I switched from UDT to SUDT2 semi synthetic. This time, I'm going to go with a full synthetic in hopes of further decreasing hydro whine even further beyond what SUDT2 did for my B3030.

/ Soundproofing the B3030 Cab and found something interesting
I was also able to spend some time with the tractor for the first time since I added the sound proofing. With what improvements I have done so far, Is is a very noticeable difference. I have not done anything about the dust yet. Still some front panels to sound proof. Driving around today transplanting 13 shrubs it's much quieter. Especially at low rpms.

/ Soundproofing the B3030 Cab and found something interesting #94  
I hadn't planned on doing what WaxMan and Bandit did now but I was able to get some time to work on my B3030 HSDC. I just finished putting everything back together. I installed the Dynamat Xtreme under the seat panel, the "hump" panel, and both left and right floor panels. I also attached it directly to the transmission. I got the Xtreme through Amazon (free shipping) from a dealer Bandit recommended. I made patterns like WaxMan did but started off on the wrong foot as my first pattern was cut upside down. So I double checked everything before I cut things and the Xtreme went on relatively easy. I also had a heavy black rubber and foam pad (approximately 1/2" thick) that went on top of the panels and under the rubber Kubota mat. Putting the bolts back in got a little tough as some holes lined up while others didn't. That was a royal PITA! I also had to fight removing and reinstalling the rear turf tires as they are loaded and were a bear to manhandle by myself.
I made one mistake where I wrapped the Xtreme a little too high in the rear, see attached photo. I caulked every hole or gap that I found inside. I placed a floodlight on the floor facing up to see if any light would penetrate the cab. I found a 2" wide X 1/8" thick black foam tape at the Depot in the metal duct work section that I was able to seal up some areas from underneath. Really stuck good, not much for insulation but it will keep dirt out. Hard to really tell how much quieter it is but I'm sure it will help. Probably in the fall at the 300 hour mark I'll change over to SUDT2 to see if that helps, unless Bandit persuades me otherwise to go with 100% synthetic. Waiting on his results. Thanks to both of you, WaxMan and Bandit for all of your help and suggestions.

Attachments

• km1.jpg
    km1.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 330
  • km2.jpg
    km2.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 255
   / Soundproofing the B3030 Cab and found something interesting #95  
]At this point, I can say I recommend doing these...modifications to a B3000 if you're not pleased with all the...dust getting into your cab.

bandit,

What fixes would you advise just for dust?

/ Soundproofing the B3030 Cab and found something interesting #96  
First off - you actually have some issues with dust getting into your 5740?

I added some rubber grommets and installed weatherstripping foam at various penetrations, including areas that Kubota already installed something. If I could see daylight, I added more foam, especially at penetrations for levers, etc. Such as where Kubota installed only a rubber sleeve. I tried to add the foam in such a way as to allow for future parts disassembly so that the "dustproofing" work would not have to be re-done if parts needed to be taken apart, or didn't more permanently "glue" parts together.

I didn't have a whole lot of issues with dust, not like the B3030 owners seem to have, so I didn't have to do all that much. I added the extra foam to give a bit more cushion for the dust to get through, but not impede the function of the hand or foot levers. There were areas that Kubota better addressed in the B3000 than on the B3030.

One thing I noticed, and something that every Kubota cab owner may want to check, is the penetration through the sheet metal that the FEL joystick cables run through, didn't have any protection to keep the cable sheathing from getting worn by the sharp edge of the sheet metal opening. I added a grommet to the opening, similar to what I did on my B3030 open station (I had the cab joystick control), and after 365 hours and 4 years, the grommet was still intact. On the B3000, I noticed that the joystick cable's sheathing was starting to show signs of wear. Very little, but still some signs of wear, in less than 40 hours of use.

/ Soundproofing the B3030 Cab and found something interesting #97  
I hadn't planned on doing what WaxMan and Bandit did now but I was able to get some time to work on my B3030 HSDC. I just finished putting everything back together.

So Stanley, have you had some time to try out the new soundproofing?

/ Soundproofing the B3030 Cab and found something interesting #98  
So Stanley, have you had some time to try out the new soundproofing?

I only had a short amount of time to run the tractor and it seems quieter. When I got done putting everything back I went to install the belly mower and I hope to cut the grass tomorrow (Thursday) but they are calling for a chance of rain. This will really tell me how much quieter the cab is as I run the engine at full throttle to power the mower. The cab is definitely sealed tighter but I too need to get some kind of thicker foam to seal up where the levers go through the metal panels. Lousy design on Kubota's part! Also I want to remove the dash panels under the steering wheel to see about sealing any openings here. Glad to be done with the floor panels, etc. Like I said a pain in the butt to reinstall. Thank you again. Stanley

/ Soundproofing the B3030 Cab and found something interesting #99  
I had the most problems getting the fenders lined up with the vertical floor piece that joins the floor pans with the seat pans. Cheated and lined things up with one of my "nose pickers" (coolant hose removal tool).

I had to plow snow yesterday. Looking like I'll be plowing snow early tomorrow morning again. Still have my snowblower on because we're not completely out of the woods with regards to the 2-3 foot spring snowstorms. Threat of those storms typically goes into May. Not too sure we're gonna see one this year. We're WAY overdue for a 6 or 7 foot spring storm, but I think the chances of getting one this year are getting slim.

/ Soundproofing the B3030 Cab and found something interesting #100  
I had to plow snow yesterday. Looking like I'll be plowing snow early tomorrow morning again.

I envy you. We did not have enough snow this year in my part of Maryland to use the tractor. Royally sucked! I love snow and live in the wrong part of the country, plus Maryland sucks too with all the taxes. But that's another topic, ha. Enjoy the snow, you live in a beautiful area, and be safe!!!