spare tire mount?...

/ spare tire mount?... #21  
The stake pocket D-ring conversion looks like a handy concept, and would work great for light duty tie down, However looking at the design and the way it would be secured inside by a through pin would either mean having to drill a hole through the stake pocket or either the pin would simply go through under the pocket, only have the 2 ends of the pin holding in the D-ring insert from pulling back out, not a good idea...

Why not?

Pins hold stuff all the time with just the two ends of the pin sticking through... look at the attachment points of most top links on a 3 point hitch.
Sure people can (and people will) bust anything. Someone could break that short chain in the linked picture too, if a person tried hard enough.
Just because someone might not secure a load with it verses attaching directly to the frame doesn't make it a bad idea.
We likely couldn't afford anything (or even be able to use them) if all things were made indestructible.
Anything you use... has to be used with common sense.... something a wise man said (my dad) folks seem to have less of these days.
Just sayin'

/ spare tire mount?... #22  
Again, I think I'm being misunderstood! That of itself is a great idea and could certainly be handy in some lightweight applications as it is,
I only suggest that if wanting to use it with the most of confidence, One could better weld the pockets and perhaps run the pin through both the pocket as well as the insert, just as we would when installing a receiver hitch, Look at it this way, when the 2 pc receiver hitch was designed they didn't have the pin going through the backside of the sleeve only, it's design to go through both the receiver and hitch, via: locking the 2 together;) when using the design for a spare tire holder there is no real force pulling against it, only a bit of down pressure and the pin is used to simply hold it in so it don't bounce out,
I'm not knocking the OP idea at all, in fact I've always stated is a good idea, If I had a trailer with side rail pockets I might would make me up a few of these, But I would have the pins go through the pockets instead,:thumbsup:

Attachments

• stake-pocket-spare-tire-mount.jpg
    stake-pocket-spare-tire-mount.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,889
   / spare tire mount?... #23  
Deep... I'm not going to split hairs with you but your statements come across as warnings.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion...
if wanting to use it with the most of confidence
Sadly, that insults my decision making process of using it the way it is just because you are not satisfied with its design.
I would not be any more confidant with this D-ring adapter configured like your photo, than I am with it the way it is.
I understand how/why it was made and I respect that.

You also said
...the pocket themselves are not welded in with the intent of securing heavy things/loads to,... With only having a couple of light beads down each side it scary to think about.
Scary to think about... seriously?
Have you given much thought to what else is attached to a trailer with a couple of beads of weld?
Think about the spring brackets for the axle where they are welded to the frame... yep... just a couple beads of weld... am I scared my axles are going to fly out from under my trailer every time I use it... no.
I could go on... but I won't.

We have to use common sense when using anything.
Just MY opinion.

/ spare tire mount?... #24  
Deep... I'm not going to split hairs with you but your statements come across as warnings.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion...

Sadly, that insults my decision making process of using it the way it is just because you are not satisfied with its design.
I would not be any more confidant with this D-ring adapter configured like your photo, than I am with it the way it is.
I understand how/why it was made and I respect that.

You also said
Scary to think about... seriously?
Have you given much thought to what else is attached to a trailer with a couple of beads of weld?
Think about the spring brackets for the axle where they are welded to the frame... yep... just a couple beads of weld... am I scared my axles are going to fly out from under my trailer every time I use it... no.
I could go on... but I won't.

We have to use common sense when using anything.
Just MY opinion.

Definitely a Useless argument ................. :rolleyes:
By the way! your trailer leaf hangers have the load rest on them, and the leaf are to absorb any downward/upward motion, Not exactly compared to pulling against them with many 1000 lbs of force,

/ spare tire mount?... #26  
   / spare tire mount?...
No apologies needed for me. I have enjoyed reading the posts. Nothing wrong with a heated discussion, lot of good points made by all.

/ spare tire mount?... #28  
No apologies needed for me. I have enjoyed reading the posts. Nothing wrong with a heated discussion, lot of good points made by all.

Yep... I thought we were having a discussion too.
I always enjoy reading others opinions but when I was called out for posting useless arguments....that's when it changed for me.

/ spare tire mount?... #29  
   / spare tire mount?... #30  
Stake pockets are desinged as tie downs. That is their main function. Look at every semi-trailer flat bed and see how equipmnet is secured to the deck let alone steel coils.

stake pocket testing.png

coils.jpg