Specific Cure for Parking Brake Problem?

/ Specific Cure for Parking Brake Problem?
I want to state again that I love my NH TC45DA SuperSteer, and respect my local dealer. Still, I think it is important to stop ignoring the functional and safety problems that the dysfunctional parking brake causes. I should have done something when I first purchased the tractor, and found that the brake released when I put my foot on the step to dismount. The problem has worsened, and I should have acted sooner. My local dealer offered to order a new ratchet pawl (if that is what it is called), but didn稚 have enough experience to know if that would cure the problems. I hated to pay $65 for the part, plus labor, not knowing if that was the best solution. So, today I called New Holland and waited on line for about 15 minutes. I think the gate-keeper gentleman from India that I spoke to first was very nice, but had no knowledge of this problem. I finally convinced him to get me up the line to someone that could affect some solution. I ended up in Wisconsin. The NH agent listened to my long explanation and promised to provide a solution葉o get a technical person at NH to speak with my local service agent to explain exactly what needs to be done to resolve the parking brake problem. I haven稚 had the call back yet, but was pleased that someone at NH took this seriously, and took some action. Mine cannot be an isolated problem, given the simplicity and prevalence of this P-brake design. Note, I have no cab, and think that the parking brake that comes with the cab package is probably a better design; at least it appears to be based on the schematic shown on the Parts & Service link at NH internet site. There is no schematic on that site for a TC series tractor without a cab. Again, I ask if others could read this thread, and comment. Thanks.

/ Specific Cure for Parking Brake Problem? #12  
I have a TC45DA with 640 hours on it. One of the teeth on the ratchet plate is very badly rounded off. If the brake is set into that tooth on the plate, it is very unstable and a very slight vibration (e.g., a footstep on the operator platform) is enough to dislodge it. On my plate only that one tooth is rounded so I can still use the brake safely if I step on the brake pedal more lightly so that the next tooth on the plate will hold the pedal. Nevertheless, I have ordered a new plate from my dealer.

In the future I guess I will step on the brake pedal more lightly. In the past I have generally stepped on it firmly when setting the parking brake. And I will never trust the parking brake again. From now on I will always lower the 3 point and FEL when I get off the tractor. When this parking brake problem first developed and I was not used to it, I parked the tractor facing down a moderate hill (5-10%), left the FEL up and jumped off the tractor to move a hose. My vibrations as I descended from the tractor dislodged the brake and it started to roll downhill. I was able to jump onboard and get control but it was pretty scary. Fortunately I was near the tractor when it started to roll, and no one was standing in front. I often work on a hillside and with employees around and there is a lot of potential for an accident if the parking brake fails.

Does anyone have any advice on replacing the ratchet plate? I am guessing that the order of work is to remove the cotter pin at the end of the rod, unbolt the bracket, take the bracket and ratchet plate off together and then separate the bracket from the ratchet plate and unscrew the parking brake switch from the ratchet plate? It seems like there is an E split ring which must be removed to separate the braket from the ratchet plate. How should I remove that ring?

Thanks for any advice. Cheers.

/ Specific Cure for Parking Brake Problem? #13  
Does anyone have any advice on replacing the ratchet plate? I am guessing that the order of work is to remove the cotter pin at the end of the rod, unbolt the bracket, take the bracket and ratchet plate off together and then separate the bracket from the ratchet plate and unscrew the parking brake switch from the ratchet plate? It seems like there is an E split ring which must be removed to separate the braket from the ratchet plate. How should I remove that ring?

Thanks for any advice. Cheers.

The repair manual has very little info on replacing the ratchet pawl. It kinda leaves it up to you to figure out how to remove and replace it. So, you are in charge of this research. After you do the job, you''ll be the TBN expert.;):D

julichris quote "My vibrations as I descended from the tractor dislodged the brake and it started to roll downhill. I was able to jump onboard and get control but it was pretty scary. Fortunately I was near the tractor when it started to roll, and no one was standing in front. I often work on a hillside and with employees around and there is a lot of potential for an accident if the parking brake fails."[/I]

Julichris describes the problems with the mechanics and resultant safety issue of the TC parking brake problem very well, identical to the problem that I have with the TC45 parking brake. I am hoping that we can shed some light on this problem to get New Holland's attention. Hopefully, others will weigh in and let us know if they have a similar problem.

I didn't find any part number for the ratchet plate (pawl). Could you let us know that part number, name of the part, where you purchased it and how much it cost? Also, I will be interested to know how easy or difficult you find it is to replace it. Thanks for the information, and good luck with the repair. Just wonder how often we will need to replace this part.

/ Specific Cure for Parking Brake Problem? #15  
NH parts lists the handle with ratchet as part #86543759

Item #2

Attachments

• Handle.jpg
    Handle.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 219
NH parts lists the handle with ratchet as part #86543759

Item #2

I believe this parking brake configuration is different from my TC45DA (no Cab), which has a small lift lever to engage the ratchet pawl. I think part #86543759 is an upgrade that comes with the Cab package, and I am not sure that it even has a similar ratchet design. Does anyone else know how different the Cab and no Cab versions are? I find it difficult to interpret this schematic. If you go to the NH internet parts list you will not find any mention of parking brake for the no-cab versions of the TC Boomers.

/ Specific Cure for Parking Brake Problem? #18  
Non cab tractor. Item #21 Part#86403591

Attachments

• Handle2.jpg
    Handle2.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 203
Thanks Inspector507! This is it, and the culprit does appear to be the 'ratchet pawl', part # 21. You must have access to something more than I can access at NH's web site. I am hoping that julichris can weigh in and tell us if this is what was purchased, at what price, and how easy or difficulty that repair is.

Also, as many people as possible, let us know if you have a similar problem. I would hope if we do show the deficiency of this design that NH will take it to heart and affect a change that will help them and us, the owners.

/ Specific Cure for Parking Brake Problem? #20  
I got it straight off of NH's site. It wasn't real easy to find though. It's in the transmission section, then under the Brake listing.