Split clutch or shear pin, how to tell?

/ Split clutch or shear pin, how to tell? #1  

thunder86

Silver Member
Tractor
Bobcat ct4045
I bent my pto shaft on my cutter. To get a replacement I need to know if it's a slip clutch or shear pin. I have all my paper work but apparently Kubota has no idea what type I got even with the serial number.... anyways how do I tell the difference, I'm clueless? 20200601_144603.jpeg20200520_142012.jpeg20200520_142019.jpeg

/ Split clutch or shear pin, how to tell? #2  
Your 1st photo is looking right at the cross bolt shear pin. Notice the snap ring on the gearbox shaft that will keep the yoke from coming off if the pin shears.

/ Split clutch or shear pin, how to tell?
So is my cutter a slip clutch or shear pin?

/ Split clutch or shear pin, how to tell? #4  
shear pin

/ Split clutch or shear pin, how to tell? #6  
Judging by the rust on or near shear pin, it might be worth removing the shear bolt and greasing the surfaces. If the Yoke where the Shear bolt and shaft rust together, your shear bolt will be useless and your run the risk of breaking something on the tractor side.

FYI... A slip clutch will look something like this on the PTO shaft.
FD1 PTO Slip Clutch-1-3/8" 6-Spline

Do you care to comment on how you bent the shaft?

/ Split clutch or shear pin, how to tell? #7  
You can also replace just the tube instead of the entire PTO shaft.

Looks like you just bent one half of the shaft. The other half looks fine, at least from what I can see in the pictures.

/ Split clutch or shear pin, how to tell? #8  
You can also replace just the tube instead of the entire PTO shaft.

Looks like you just bent one half of the shaft. The other half looks fine, at least from what I can see in the pictures.

I've done this before. Just take your bent piece to a drive line shop and have them match it up. It's not a hard fix and significantly cheaper than a whole new shaft.

/ Split clutch or shear pin, how to tell? #9  
A good welder may be able to weld it.

/ Split clutch or shear pin, how to tell? #10  
AND learn how to replace that shear bolt, or you are going to shear it some day and have no idea what to do about it!

SR