Split rim Wheels

/ Split rim Wheels #11  
Whats on the reverse side of the rim Eric ? A 100 years ago i saw a rim with 2 sets of rings . The solid ring dropped on first which became the inner bead , then the tyre and then the split lock ring which formed the outer bead . As for the condition of the rims , from the photos they look in VGC .

/ Split rim Wheels #12  
That's not a split rim, I think it was called a "two piece rim". Once you break that rim down you can remove the ring by prying it into an oval and off the main rim.
It's probably a little safer that a split rim but the mating edges must be in good condition.
Your best bet would be to find an old tire man and let him look at it and give you an opinion. Most tire places won't touch any of the old rims anymore because of the liability. The old style split rims are now illegal for trucks and trailers on the road and most DOT's even inspect for them.

/ Split rim Wheels #13  
ihave a trailer with split rims is almost impossible to get them worked on. I would measure the bolt pattern and see if i could find a non split rim to replace them. trying to put new tires on without the proper knowledge or more importantly the right equipment is such a safety risk as to be litterally risking your life. there are a lot of dead and maimed people who tried wrapping chans around them or something equally stupid when trying to inflate them with the new tire. watch the care someone takes that knows how to do it and has the correct safety cage to do it in

/ Split rim Wheels #14  
I changed a good many split rings way back when including the "two piece" style. Though I have known people who were killed by them, I never had a problem nor did I use a cage.

Sure, I probably would have used a cage had they been available but things were not alway so "rosy". Let's just say if you did not want the job, someone else would and there were not always better places to go.

I was taught to gently seat the ring(s) with a hammer while inflating without the stem. And no, I never stood over the wheel while inflating one. I was not that stupid!

I heard of the cages containing wheel explosions. I often wondered if that was due to the wheel being in a vertical position rather than flat and the ring being lopsided?

/ Split rim Wheels #15  
[QUOTEgemini5362]= . there are a lot of dead and maimed people who tried wrapping chans around them or something equally stupid when trying to inflate them with the new tire.

I look forward to you showing us the documents or even an internet link that will back this statement up .

/ Split rim Wheels #16  
Take it to your tire shop and let them do it...easier and safer...:D

And you can spend your time playing with your tractors...:)

/ Split rim Wheels
I had fun lastnight trying to get the old tires off. I took a reciprocating saw with a hack saw blade to one tire and cut around the sidewall on each side. I then took a couple crow bars and removed the cutoff. I then took some snips to cut off the rim flap. Interesting that I could cut the rim flap with snips but the tube would not cut. I then tried taking the saw to cut off the rest of the tire but the beads were still stuck on the rim and I couldn't get a good angle to get the tire fully cut off. I looked around wondering what I could use to get the beads unseated. Finally looked at the tractor with a loader. I pulled out the wheel with the intact tire since I thought I was going to have problems pushing on the little flap left on the tire I cut off. I took what I think is an old tractor or implement weight and put it on one side of the rim and pushed down with the front edge of the loader on the tire on the opposite side. I worked my way around both sides and it looked like it loosened the tire from the rim. I then tried the one where I had cut off the tire. That actually worked very easily and the leftover ring of tire slipped off into the well. Then I cut off the other tire and noticed all the previous work was no good since the rim flap wouldn't let the tire fall into the well so out came the tractor again. I did finally cut through the bead with the saw on one wheel, that was a lot of work just to do that. I then gently took my small sledge and knocked the rust off the inside of the rim next to the ring. I will try to take some pictures tonight. I am having a bad feeling now looking inside the rims. I will try to get the ring loose and cleaned up. I did find a truck tire place in town that will work on split rims. Once I get them cleaned up I will be taking the rims to them to see what they say and if all is OK I will have them mount the tires. I have no desire to try mounting these myself.

/ Split rim Wheels #18  
About 4 years ago I had a similar problem with a manure spreader. One wheel had been replaced with a split rim and the tire went flat. I bought a new rim and had the split rim cut off of the disc of the old wheel and the new rim welded to the disc. Works great!
Greg

/ Split rim Wheels #19  
Iron Horse said:
[QUOTEgemini5362]= . there are a lot of dead and maimed people who tried wrapping chans around them or something equally stupid when trying to inflate them with the new tire.

I look forward to you showing us the documents or even an internet link that will back this statement up .

Well lets see I did a quick scan of google with the words split ring accidents for the search and seemed to see several examples. Would you like me to cut and paste them here or would you be willing to try the same search I did ?

Not posted on the internet is the couple of service station owners I knew when I was growing up that had them blow up in their faces. One only spent several weeks in the hospital and then months getting surgery on his face trying to fix all the broken bones. The other died. I also know that all the small places around me that are hustling trying to make a living wont touch them. One place I finally found would do them but they were not really happy about it and they had all the safety equipment. The cage, a special adapter that they used to fill up the tire with that had the valve about three feet from the end of the nozzle. If you cannot do a google search let me know and I will be glad to cut and paste some of the sites for you.

/ Split rim Wheels #20  
Eric_Phillips said:
I had fun lastnight trying to get the old tires off. I took a reciprocating saw with a hack saw blade to one tire and cut around the sidewall on each side. I then took a couple crow bars and removed the cutoff. I then took some snips to cut off the rim flap. Interesting that I could cut the rim flap with snips but the tube would not cut. I then tried taking the saw to cut off the rest of the tire but the beads were still stuck on the rim and I couldn't get a good angle to get the tire fully cut off. I looked around wondering what I could use to get the beads unseated. Finally looked at the tractor with a loader. I pulled out the wheel with the intact tire since I thought I was going to have problems pushing on the little flap left on the tire I cut off. I took what I think is an old tractor or implement weight and put it on one side of the rim and pushed down with the front edge of the loader on the tire on the opposite side. I worked my way around both sides and it looked like it loosened the tire from the rim. I then tried the one where I had cut off the tire. That actually worked very easily and the leftover ring of tire slipped off into the well. Then I cut off the other tire and noticed all the previous work was no good since the rim flap wouldn't let the tire fall into the well so out came the tractor again. I did finally cut through the bead with the saw on one wheel, that was a lot of work just to do that. I then gently took my small sledge and knocked the rust off the inside of the rim next to the ring. I will try to take some pictures tonight. I am having a bad feeling now looking inside the rims. I will try to get the ring loose and cleaned up. I did find a truck tire place in town that will work on split rims. Once I get them cleaned up I will be taking the rims to them to see what they say and if all is OK I will have them mount the tires. I have no desire to try mounting these myself.

Personally I think that is a smart decision not trying to do it yourself. One of the reasons that a local tire guy gives for not doing them is becase they are not made any more and the ones you can get are old and often times rusty and he is worried about them breaking when he is putting them back together. Like I said in an earlier post I would see if I could get different rims that are not split rims. Measure the bolt pattern and the center hole and look on ebay for one place to try and maybe local tire shops or salvage yards. Including a tractor salvage yard if you have one locally. I bought a dump trailer and it was made from a early 60s model ford 1 ton rear end. It has a 5 hole bolt pattern for the dually rims. Those rims are all split rims. I did a very exhausting search just to find one to replace a rim I had bent. The next time I need tires on it I am considering just scrapping the whole axle and buying a new one so that I can get non split rims. If the one guy in a 100 mile radius quits doing split rims I am going to be out of luck totally so I figure just change over next time I need to change tires.