Split rim Wheels

/ Split rim Wheels #21  
I remember when I was a kid. My Father told me a story about a new guy at work. He told the new guy to use the cage when airing up the tire they had put on. A few minutes later, my Father saw the guy inside the cage with the tire leaned up against the outside of it. JC

/ Split rim Wheels #22  
If you should have a problem finding a replacement wheel, I'll bet one of Tractorbynet's advertisers, Southwest Wheel can come up with one (or more) for you.

/ Split rim Wheels #24  
Not to fear Ironhorse there were many people hurt by the slit ring rims.:D :D

Just Goggle "split rim accidents" :D

/ Split rim Wheels #25  
As i have said many times in the two threads regarding this issue how dangerous they can be and have advised extreme caution . And also how not to loose your arm or your life . Are you telling me something new ?

/ Split rim Wheels #26  
The rims looked like 8 lug light truck rims. Maybe a bit taller. Could you finagle a 3/4 ton wheel and tire onto the hubs? Even if you had to trim the centers out a little with a rotary tool?

/ Split rim Wheels #27  
As Andy told Aunt Bea, JUST CALL THE MAN, a split rim is a dangerous critter and I'd bet you don't have a tire CAGE

/ Split rim Wheels #28  
Iron Horse said:
gemini5362 said:
"who tried wrapping chains around them" Anything pertaining to this bit is what i would like a link too , happy Googleing .
Actually Iron Horse I was speaking of my own observations about tieing chains to them. I have seen people (when I was younger and split rims more popular) put the rims back together again. Most of them at that time did not have the cages so they would take two lengths of chain and wrap them around the rim 90 degrees apart and then air up the tires. I dont know if that information is on the web or not. If it is isnt then maybe you will just have to trust me when I say I have personally seen it. I would also imagine there might have been someone from here that has seen it also.

/ Split rim Wheels #29  
gemini5362 said:
Iron Horse said:
Actually Iron Horse I was speaking of my own observations about tieing chains to them. I have seen people (when I was younger and split rims more popular) put the rims back together again. Most of them at that time did not have the cages so they would take two lengths of chain and wrap them around the rim 90 degrees apart and then air up the tires. I dont know if that information is on the web or not. If it is isnt then maybe you will just have to trust me when I say I have personally seen it. I would also imagine there might have been someone from here that has seen it also.

People actually killed or maimed because they used safety chains which apparently did'nt work ?

/ Split rim Wheels #30  
gemini5362 said:
Iron Horse said:

As indicated in post #5 I've chained tires to inflate them. It was shop policy after a near miss that dented the 16' ceiling. This was a busy construction shop that changed a lot of tires & nobody was ever injured inflating a chained tire. I didn't consider it stupid then nor do I now. I suspect it would be difficult to follow your advice re: hiring a professional with a cage since most shops wouldn't need a cage if they will not work on split rims.
I also could not find any instances of injury while using chains. MikeD74T