Spraying asphalt millings with diesel fuel. Results vs Theory

/ Spraying asphalt millings with diesel fuel. Results vs Theory #11  
I recently had the opportunity to drive on a large area (half a football field) covered in millings, and a private road, maybe a half mile. In both cases there were stockpiles of millings alongside.

It was all very lumpy. Lots of fist sized chunks. Is that normal for asphalt millings?

Yes the lumps are normal.
If the road or lot being milled is busted up you get lumps when milled. (most times lots and streets being milled is because the asphalt is dead or busted up)

Last edited:
   / Spraying asphalt millings with diesel fuel. Results vs Theory
Finally got around to finishing spraying the whole driveway this morning. I have a little over 15 gallons on it. When the sun finally came out today and we got above 70 I had to turn the water on my roller as the asphalt got sticky. So far so good. IMG_7460.JPG
IMG_7459.JPG
IMG_7458.JPG

/ Spraying asphalt millings with diesel fuel. Results vs Theory #14  
I would've thought the stuff to use on asphalt millings after it's put down is the driveway tar coating stuff in the 5 gal pails at HD.

/ Spraying asphalt millings with diesel fuel. Results vs Theory #15  
I will be interested in two questions eventually being answered by Screamin400:

1. How does it stay together over time?

2. How long does it take for the diesel smell to go away?

I would've thought the stuff to use on asphalt millings after it's put down is the driveway tar coating stuff in the 5 gal pails at HD.

I thought so too. You can see in the pics where there is a spot darker than the rest. I tried two pails and it peeled right up. The diesel did stick it back down better. It was kind of like putting sealer on gravel.

I will be interested in two questions eventually being answered by Screamin400:

1. How does it stay together over time?

2. How long does it take for the diesel smell to go away?

Time will tell. Driveway is soft right now on the very top. Hopefully it cools down and rains a little bit. I do not notice the smell at all. It has to be there but I don't smell it. My neighbor came over yesterday and says now he wants me to do his. Buddy stopped over last night and wants his done also.

/ Spraying asphalt millings with diesel fuel. Results vs Theory #19  
Screaming
How is the driveway holding up?

/ Spraying asphalt millings with diesel fuel. Results vs Theory #20  
I recently had the opportunity to drive on a large area (half a football field) covered in millings, and a private road, maybe a half mile. In both cases there were stockpiles of millings alongside.

It was all very lumpy. Lots of fist sized chunks. Is that normal for asphalt millings?

I had 2 truck loads tailgate spread on a forestry road this summer. These were the best I have ever seen, clean, consistent prices no larger than a few inches at most. Now we have some that are like what your talking about, some pieces the size of dinner plates/.