Spraying asphalt millings with diesel fuel. Results vs Theory

/ Spraying asphalt millings with diesel fuel. Results vs Theory #21  
oh this is a very short drive, I see the pics, I was imagining several hundred yards at least and the guy talking about the 5 gallons pails of top coat I was thinking that would cost a fortune. haha

/ Spraying asphalt millings with diesel fuel. Results vs Theory #22  
I had asphalt "millings" brought in when I did my pole barn. Yeah, these weren't millings, they were major chunks. Some of them were so big I couldn't move them by hand and the tractor had a hard time moving them (it didn't help that I was moving them as the remnant rains of Hurricane Katrina were moving through). In the mud I couldn't get under them, but I have to say, once I did get them in place, the cement truck had no issues with the next day getting to the garage to pour almost 40 yards of concrete. Once I covered it with limestone, it has held great and I've lost very little stone in that driveway addition vs. the rest of the drive that was already in place.

/ Spraying asphalt millings with diesel fuel. Results vs Theory #23  
When you say "millings" is this just reclaimed asphalt? Old asphalt roads torn up and run through a grinder?

I had reclaimed asphalt done on a section of my driveway last year, just wondering if its the same thing just different terminology?

Mine packed down pretty tight but theres still a bit of loose pack on the surface...wondering if maybe I should give this diesel spray/roll a try.

/ Spraying asphalt millings with diesel fuel. Results vs Theory #24  
In Ohio milling is the process the state uses to level the old road before putting down new pavement. Might have ten dump trucks lined up behind the milling machine which grinds and chips the asphalt. Small pieces only coming out of machine.

/ Spraying asphalt millings with diesel fuel. Results vs Theory #25  
The size of the millings can vary greatly is size. They make a good road base ,but will have some loose fines on the surface.
Most people said spraying diesel or sealer is a waste of time and money. screamin has not responded if the sprayed surface is holding up

/ Spraying asphalt millings with diesel fuel. Results vs Theory #26  
Screamin,

Are you still here and willing to update with your level of success?

/ Spraying asphalt millings with diesel fuel. Results vs Theory #27  
This might hold up with just cars and pickups driving on it. I put about a dozen belly dumps of asphalt millings on my equipment lot. I didn’t spray with diesel but it was 105 degrees and we laser leveled it and rolled it with a vibratory roller. It looked like a paved road. I was very pleased. We have five machines with rubber tracks and it is impossible to turn them on it without tearing it up. Turning tandem or spread axle trailers tear it up. I have gone back to grading it every so often with my LPGS. It still keeps out the mud which is nice but it really is like gravel more than anything. If you were not as hard on it as I am it might work better.

/ Spraying asphalt millings with diesel fuel. Results vs Theory #28  
I used to haul hot mix for use on the interstates here in Il. and if the crew smelled diesel in your load it got rejected by the state of Il. inspector at the paving machine!--they had a soap spray that you put in the trailer before loading and it did not work the greatest.
I drove a KW w-900 extended hood pulling a 28 foot insulated luni dump trailer and forgot how many thousand tons of that stuff I hauled!
Before the new went down the old was taken off with a giant crawler milling machine. Two trailers backed in side by side and he would load one then swing the belt over to the other one, when loaded, you leave and another trailer backed into your place.---This went non-stop. The crew that I was on ran an average of 17 semis on the job at any given time! thanks; sonny

/ Spraying asphalt millings with diesel fuel. Results vs Theory #29  
This summer I put a new driveway in using millings. I did not any diesel to them although many folks told me to. I asked on here and the theory was it would was the asphalt off the stone. My driveway got hard except the very top still was like a fine gravel. I rolled it many many times with my ride on roller. I hated it. Finally I got sick enough of it that a few days ago I took my hand sprayer and sprayed half of my driveway. I then rolled it. Huge difference. Wish I did it earlier in the summer. Theory went out the window due to results. I am not sure I would have mixed it in or not but will be spraying the rest of the driveway tomorrow.
Having worked for a paving company I'd never heard of spraying diesel on asphalt. That's like putting turpentine on a wet paint surface. The product I'd suggest using is called ss-1 emulsion. It's used as a tack, prime, or fog coat.

/ Spraying asphalt millings with diesel fuel. Results vs Theory #30  
Having worked for a paving company I'd never heard of spraying diesel on asphalt. That's like putting turpentine on a wet paint surface. The product I'd suggest using is called ss-1 emulsion. It's used as a tack, prime, or fog coat.

Diesel will act as solvent to dissolve some asphalt cement.transmission fluid will also dissolve the asphalt cement. Except if you are covering the grindings with pavement, sealing the top of the grindings will have little long term benefits