Spraying lawn for weeds.

/ Spraying lawn for weeds. #11  
I spray about 20 gal of mixed spray on an acre, near as I can estimate. That includes about 2qt of concentrate per acre. These are rough estimates, but pretty consistent over several years.

/ Spraying lawn for weeds. #12  
Alan,
Here in Oklahoma City. one of the warehouse vendors that sells products to the lawn service people also sells to the public (Estes). They provide a sheet that lists what to spray, how often and when. I'm not suggesting that what works here will work in Ohio, but your local warehouse supplier may be able to answer your questions, while the local retailer may not.

OkieG

/ Spraying lawn for weeds. #13  
I have a pretty well established 4-acre stand of fescue that I spray once in the late spring and occasionally in the fall if the broadleaf weeds have had a good summer. I mix 16-24 oz. of LV400 with 8-12 oz of Banvel and 24 gallons of water in my 25 gallon tank. Each tank covers about 1 to 1-1/4 acre. The Banvel gets a broader spectrum of broadleaf weed and migrates a little in the soil, so beware around trees. With my new plantings this past year, or so, I am cutting out the Banvel. The LV400 works on most everything but I expect to have to do a few more fall spraying applications using it alone.

/ Spraying lawn for weeds. #14  
Do you ever plant fescue and burmuda both in the same area?

/ Spraying lawn for weeds. #15  
Warm season grasses like Bermudagrass do well as turf grasses south of here, but are a problem weed this far north. Bermuda will invade a cool season lawn during the hot summer months and go dormant leaving dead spots in a lawn as early as two months before a cool season grass, like fescue, will start to go dormant. It is technically considered a grassy weed in this area and is also commonly referrred to as "wire grass." Blue grass used to do pretty well around here but over the last 20 years the higher average summer temps have made it a risky choice for turf on Delmarva.

/ Spraying lawn for weeds. #16  
We took some of your advice today and put down a 75 gallon mix of LV400 and Weed-B-Gon Max. It was a dead calm day so the timing was right. Too soon to say what will happen but we are expecting good results.

/ Spraying lawn for weeds. #17  
I'll keep my fingers crossed that it works for you. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Spraying lawn for weeds. #18  
It's not a good idea to just dump some weed killer in the spray tank and go out spraying without performing some sort of calibration procedure with your setup. Here is a one of many "calibrations" that can be found on a google search: Calibration

Several factors determine the application rate that you will get with your sprayer, such as number of nozzles, spray width, system pressure, speed of travel. For my setup and speed, I use 1 gallon of LV400 per 50 gallons water to get the correct application rate, your setup will likely be different.
If you don't do a "calibration" you may end up killing everything due to applying too strong or kill nothing by applying too weak. Don't use other people's application numbers without doing your own tests.

/ Spraying lawn for weeds. #19  
Good idea, and all are good points.

What gal per acre do you have yours calibrated to spray with that mix?

/ Spraying lawn for weeds. #20  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I tried to pick up some of the 'jets' that were mentioned that open above 10psi and the FarmFleet people didn't know anything about them. Anyone have a source? Thanks

I custom built my spray rig, to initially sidedress roundup along 3500 hand planted trees. I built it with 4 nozzles on a front bar, that could be used as one, two, three, or four independently, going left to right only.

A pic is attached. Having the boom in front doesn't give me any appreciable overspray unless it is windy, which isn't a good idea to spray then anyway. It gives me great control and view of where and what I am spraying. The AWS drive works well for this too. )</font>

I just picked up some jets/holders with check valves today. I only got two, and likley want 3 or 4, but it's a start. When I get things figured out and figure out if I go the right stuff I'll share the details...