Spraying lawn for weeds.

/ Spraying lawn for weeds. #21  
On a related note, who has added fertilizer to the mix and sprayed all at once?

/ Spraying lawn for weeds. #22  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( On a related note, who has added fertilizer to the mix and sprayed all at once? )</font>

I did...

I made a regular witches brew. I think I had 2 kinds of weed killer, some kind of liquid fertilizer and some Miracle Grow (for color /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif) I almost lost everything /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif but about a month later the weeds were gone and the grass came back. Be careful doing this!!!!

/ Spraying lawn for weeds. #23  
I've been planning to do some combination liquid fertilizer and weed spray.

I found the Liquid Lawn & Pasture Fertilizer 20-2-3 at the FarmFleet store.
It says it is compatible with Amine 400.

For an acre, I would mix 20 gal of spray, and I would need 7½ gal of the liquid fertilizer, ½ gal weed killer, and 12 gal water. The liquid fertilizer costs $15 for 2½ gal, so the total cost per acre including 2-4D would be about $60.

I'm thinking I will give that a try, but may mix the fertilizer a bit light until I see how bad or good the hit/miss looks. Not so bad if one misses a few dandelions when spraying, but if one misses some strips or spots when fertilizing, they can stick out like sore thumbs. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Spraying lawn for weeds. #24  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I mix 1.5 qt of Weed-B-Gon and 1.5 qt of Amine 400 to 30 gal of water. I get very good results on dandelions, thistles, creeping charlie (that is a tough one), and dock. Also keeps the clover in check.
)</font>

Any suggestions on something to use that will take out the dandilions but leave the clover?

John Mc

/ Spraying lawn for weeds. #25  
Something like a liquid version of Scott's weed and feed would be nice. The stuff that joints like Chem-Lawn use would do well.

/ Spraying lawn for weeds. #26  
I don't put on Weed n Feed, and when I watch others put it on, it doesn't seem to do a very good job of weeding. Is it real particular as to how it is put on, or is it just not as effective? Or maybe, I am not very observant. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I don't mean to belittle the products, or those using them, but I have to admit that the results appear marginal, from what I have noticed.

Spraying broadleaf spray twice a year seems to be much more effective, at least it works for me. Not sure if the liquid fertilizer is the way to go, as compared to broadcasting the dry fertilizer.

/ Spraying lawn for weeds. #27  
I've had fair results with weed and feed, but the size of the granule and how wet the leaves are is a big factor. That is why I am looking to spray.

Follow up on nozzles:

http://www.hypropumps.com/Agriculture/Nozzle_Body_Acc.cfm?bums=Agriculture

The ones that I picked up are side entry hose barbs. They make center and end units. Center ones have 2 barbs to manifold the feed.

/ Spraying lawn for weeds. #28  
I have to agree with You on the granular weed products, I used Scott's stage #2 this year and really am not pleased at all with the results.

I had already bought it this year before I bought My sprayer is the only reason I went that route, which will be My last use of granular for that purpose. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Spraying lawn for weeds. #29  
Never had much luck with Weed Be Gone. It may need a sticking agent to make it work effectively.

I use Weedmaster which has 2,4-D and another chemical which I can't remember at the moment. Works well on all broad leafed weeds I have tried it on, including blackberries. Cost is about $65 for 2 1/2 gallons and you use only 1 ounce per gallon of water. You need to add a sticking agent (wetting agent). For blackberries, which get sprayed incidently when spraying other weeds (not labeled for blackberries) it is most effective when they are growing rapidly. It does a great job on blackberries here in western Oregon when I accidently spray them. Of course, I try real hard to miss the blackberries, but they just keep jumping in the way.

/ Spraying lawn for weeds. #30  
My results with weed b gone max have been good so far, but I do have some kind of ground weed that it did not kill. Guess I'll need Roundup for that...