Squeal like a pig!

/ Squeal like a pig! #1  

jnjpream

Gold Member
Tractor
BX22
Today they closed down my son's preschool because 12 of 16 students in the class are sick. One was tested and confirmed Swine Flu. And the hospitals can't take any new patients because they are already full. (The poor kid is running 104+)

I know there is a pretty big cross section of the planet on this forum. How bad is this thing in your area?

And to tie this into something to do with tractors: How much seat time have you lost due to the swine flu etc? Just curious..

/ Squeal like a pig! #2  
My son said there were 146 kids sick at the school in which he is faculty. New record according to the principal. Flu like symtons are the majority of the illnesses.

/ Squeal like a pig! #3  
I wish your son a speedy recovery. I have been worrying about my kids catching it, so i feel your pain.

/ Squeal like a pig! #4  
They closed two school in the town to the north of us. 1/4 of the kids were out sick. That translates into 700 kids out of 2800.

My sister teaches in public schools in central Indiana. She said they have about 20% out.

One of our local high schools had 30 kids out from the football team and still managed to win sectionals! :)

/ Squeal like a pig! #5  
They closed a school about 40 miles from here for the week

/ Squeal like a pig! #6  
One small town school district in the area closed for a week because of the number of absences, but I'll quote just a few parts of an article in the Denton Record-Chronicle this morning:
Denton County officials received positive news about the swine flu Tuesday: The number of flu-related absences in schools has dropped, according to county health director Dr. Bing Burton.

The percentage of students out of school with flu-like symptoms dropped from 10 percent to 6 percent in the last couple of weeks in the county, he told the Commissioners Court.

While that is good news, Burton said, the number is still six times as high as in recent years. 甜But] weæ±*e heading in the right direction, and weæ±*e optimistic it will continue to decline, he said. é�‘ots of children had the disease but now have the immunity.

Since April, 50 Denton County residents have been hospitalized with the flu and seven of them required intensive care, Burton said. There have been no swine flu-related deaths in the county, he said.

/ Squeal like a pig! #7  
And we had a local 11 year old girl pass away from it about two weeks ago. She showed no signs of it on Sunday, went to the hospital on Monday and passed away later that day. They found no other extenuating circumstances, either. We all expected to hear she was weakened from some other condition, but that was not the case. Very sad. :(

/ Squeal like a pig! #8  
My goodness, that's terrible. God help the family.

Here in Pittsburgh, I haven't heard too much. They say about this, though, that it hits younger types harder because they are young and strong and the worst effects are due to an overstimulated immune system. Us older types (if I have this correct) are actually at less risk because we are older and have a weaker immune system.

Go figure.

So wash you hands, cover your sneezes...and keep at least three wheels on the ground!

Tom

/ Squeal like a pig! #9  
from what I had heard and read, "us older folks" were exposed to a similar strain back in the late 50's or early 60's

/ Squeal like a pig! #10  
What I mentioned above was for my county (Denton County) just north of Dallas. But the Dallas Morning News two days ago reported the 10th confirmed death from swine flu in Dallas County. The story also mentioned that Tarrant County (Ft. Worth) has had 2 confirmed deaths from swine flu.