Standing on Platform on FEL?

/ Standing on Platform on FEL? #1  

Suburban Plowboy

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3710
I've been told you never stand on or under anything held up by hydraulics alone because of the small possibility of a hose bursting and causing the load to fall. On the other hand, I've seen a lot of people on the web, putting platforms of various kinds on FEL's, lifting them up, and using them as scaffolding. They stand on them and paint or cut limbs or whatever.

So what's the truth? Safe of not safe?

/ Standing on Platform on FEL? #2  
only u can decide if its worth the risk, just like motorcycles boats planes etc.....

I personally stand on mine all the time

/ Standing on Platform on FEL?
I just read that you can buy burst protection valves to prevent FEL's from plummeting fast.

/ Standing on Platform on FEL? #5  
Plus you probably need a skilled person to operate it and maybe keep the platform level if it's not self leveling. Forks plus a solid surface pallet makes a nice workbench, but don't trust it to stay put just because the loader doesn't move when unloaded.

/ Standing on Platform on FEL? #6  
I consider using the FEL bucket or a platform on forks to be better than a ladder. However, FELs leak down so I don't plan to be on it very long. If a hose bursts, you'll be making a quick trip to the ground, but I know of people who have fallen off ladders. So if something goes wrong the results are about the same. I have a full set of scaffolding with safety rails, etc. that I use if it's going to take the better part of the day. Otherwise, if it's just up and back down, I'll use a ladder. If I'm up there for a while, I'll use the tractor bucket.

/ Standing on Platform on FEL? #7  
Had that happen to me some years ago...hose on the forklift burst with a heavy load on the forks about 8' off the ground. Load came crashing down...luckily nothing fragile. Up to that time I'd been lifting electricians in man baskets on that forklift's forks up high to change out burned out lights. I refused to do that after I saw what could happen...made them use a manlift which has safety valves to prevent collapse in case of a hydraulic failure.

/ Standing on Platform on FEL? #8  
I work out of my bucket a lol . I don't worry about the hydraulics but rather my wife at the controls . Actually she's a great operator. I feel the chances of a hydraulic failure is less likely than a ladder fall.

/ Standing on Platform on FEL? #9  
how old are you & how's the balance these days? esp w/equip in hand.
i'm up there in yrs myself, work solo, & prob take too many chances. but this would be the 1st question in mind, best regards

/ Standing on Platform on FEL?
I'm old, but I'm okay to stand on a platform. I'm just concerned about it falling out from under me.