Standing on Platform on FEL?

/ Standing on Platform on FEL? #51  
Since the shop at my new place is red iron
Help out one of your slower readers, here. What does "red iron" mean and why does it make ladders less safe?

/ Standing on Platform on FEL? #52  
Help out one of your slower readers, here. What does "red iron" mean and why does it make ladders less safe?
The frame is metal as opposed to wood. It has a red coating, so is called red iron. But this also means the building does not have trusses every 8 or 10 feet like a pole barn.

I personally don't trust a ladder against a z-purlin with a smooth concrete floor. If it's against a wall, I think there is less chance of a ladder slipping, or at least something to land against if it does.

Maybe I'm overly cautious here, but that's just my view.

/ Standing on Platform on FEL? #53  
The frame is metal as opposed to wood. It has a red coating, so is called red iron. But this also means the building does not have trusses every 8 or 10 feet like a pole barn.

I personally don't trust a ladder against a z-purlin with a smooth concrete floor. If it's against a wall, I think there is less chance of a ladder slipping, or at least something to land against if it does.

Maybe I'm overly cautious here, but that's just my view.
Rather be in a basket over a ladder anytime.

/ Standing on Platform on FEL? #54  
Rather be in a basket over a ladder anytime.
Agreed, especially if I need anything that won't fit in a pocket or on a belt. The downside of the basket is the need for ventilation.

/ Standing on Platform on FEL? #55  
I put my kids in it and I operate.....

EDIT: before someone freaks out, my kids are 22 and 35. Not little any more.
We used to go up in the bucket to pick grapes when I was much younger than your kids. We didn't think anything of it. As I got older and running tractors I mentioned it to my father, who said that the chances of both hoses failing at once were pretty slim.
He was around farm equipment all of his life and that's one of the few times he was wrong, as only one hose has to fail.

I still prefer to go up in the bucket. As some have mentioned, it's a choice between having the bucket drop or falling off a ladder. I do climb up the ladder to get into it, but that's still safer than crawling onto the roof.
It's a lot easier for the ladder to kick out while shoveling the roof off than for my loader to fail.

/ Standing on Platform on FEL? #56  
We used to go up in the bucket to pick grapes when I was much younger than your kids. We didn't think anything of it. As I got older and running tractors I mentioned it to my father, who said that the chances of both hoses failing at once were pretty slim.
He was around farm equipment all of his life and that's one of the few times he eas wrong, as only one has to fail.

I still prefer to go up in the bucket. As some have mentioned, it's a choice between having the bucket drop or falling off a ladder. I do climb up the ladder to get into it, but that's still safer than crawling onto the roof.
A single hose failure would cause the bucket to drop. But it wouldn't necessarily be at free fall speed, it would depend on the leak. E.g. a split in the line vs a hose blowing off a fitting.

I also take solace in the fact that my tools and I do weigh quite a bit less than the loader's capacity.....at least before lunch. 😆

/ Standing on Platform on FEL? #57  
I need a mat for my work platform. I've got a HEAVY duty mat in the shop (3/8"x36x48, 15lbs?), would be great cut down a bit, being solid (maybe not good???), not wanting to sacrifice it tho.

Got tired of poking at the jungle website. The H.D. hardware store is next.

Need to drill a hole or two to drain water, away for the casters, paint the holes for rust prevention.

First world problems!

/ Standing on Platform on FEL? #58  
I need a mat for my work platform. I've got a HEAVY duty mat in the shop (3/8"x36x48, 15lbs?), would be great cut down a bit, being solid (maybe not good???), not wanting to sacrifice it tho.

Got tired of poking at the jungle website. The H.D. hardware store is next.

Need to drill a hole or two to drain water, away for the casters, paint the holes for rust prevention.

First world problems!
Maybe check out the mats designed for horse stalls at tractor supply or the like

/ Standing on Platform on FEL? #59  
I use a front 3-point adapter to mount my carryall to the loader and sometimes I use it as a platform to cut branches when I need just a little more reach with the pole saw.

Hard to climb into it when more than about 3 feet up so I am thinking about making some kind of drop down ladder that might also serve as a support leg to keep it from falling if a hydro line breaks.

Not sure if worth the effort for the few times I do this, so still mulling it over.... however the carryall does make a good work platform.

2009_07_11 083.JPG