Starship News

/ Starship News #152  
Successful launch, successful separation, successful flight of Starship, successful open/close of payload doors, did not try in space relight of Raptor engines.
Failed return to earth as planned for both booster and Starship.

/ Starship News #153  
I'll bet that booster made a big splash when it hit the water going supersonic!
I hope one of the tracking planes got some video of it hitting.

/ Starship News #154  
I'll bet that booster made a big splash when it hit the water going supersonic!
I hope one of the tracking planes got some video of it hitting.
I don't think the booster was going very fast when it hit. As I recall watching it live yesterday, it got pretty low and slow before it splashed.

/ Starship News #155  
I don't think the booster was going very fast when it hit. As I recall watching it live yesterday, it got pretty low and slow before it splashed.
Whoops, I take that back. It was going about 680mph when it hit. 🙃

/ Starship News #157  
Failed return to earth as planned for both booster and Starship.
Excuse my ignorance, but why was a return failure “planned “? Why not plan on a a successful return, and if it doesn’t work out, it becomes a failure?

/ Starship News #158  
Excuse my ignorance, but why was a return failure “planned “? Why not plan on a a successful return, and if it doesn’t work out, it becomes a failure?
You learn more from failures.

You don't input all the parameters and variables for success and you see what the model does.

/ Starship News #159  
Not buying it. If you planned for it to crash into the ocean, instead of returning safely, then it successfully crashed into the ocean, as you planned

/ Starship News #160  
Not buying it. If you planned for it to crash into the ocean, instead of returning safely, then it successfully crashed into the ocean, as you planned
These were among the heaviest objects (two of them) to ever have controlled reentry back into the atmosphere. One of them did not execute a mission requirement with a recycle burn. From that point the mission objectives changed.

Schematics on returning safely I think. Both were not intended to be recovered - intact.
They returned to inside the atmosphere. I think the hope was to control the spacecrafts crash into the ocean.

Hey, it's SpaceX, they are different.