Starting a Barn

/ Starting a Barn #11  
Here is another link where an "older" gentalman build some useful tools to assist him building his own monitor style barn mostly by himself.
BUILDING THE BARN

I very much look forward to this project.
I want to build my own barn/workshop and have toyed with a full or partial timber frame to match my house but also like the simple nature of standard stick framing :)

/ Starting a Barn
Bitchin1,

Yes, I have seen his build. That guy and his wife are studs. The amount of "build support" associated with his project is incredible. (The derrick structure, the lift pulleys, the knee supports, the seating mats - I am 100% in awe).

I hope to do this with a lot less up front effort, but may regret that line of thinking. Those guys built one **** of a nice barn and I should probably take a ton of notes.

/ Starting a Barn
All of the footings/piers dug and poured. Not the best picture, but there was a lot of effort to ensure these were level, straight and squared up.

Close to three days of effort to get everything lined up properly. I had to use some concrete spikes on my individual pier forms to ensure they stayed level and did not suffer from any "blow-out".

The laser level proved its worth.

Simpson post bases installed in the wet concrete. I love the fact that these concrete truck guys will drive anywhere to complete a job.

In the above picture, the seven posts holes I did not dig - they would be to the left of the picture. The alignment boards show roughly where they would start. I chose not to dig them now so I had more room to move my equipment.

/ Starting a Barn #14  
Best of luck with this project. This will be be a handful for one man... but nearly anything can be done with proper planning and tools.

I dread the thought of the 20' 6X6... I put up a free standing lean-to this past winter, and some of my posts were 16' 6X6, and I was absolutely at my limit getting those plumbed and properly installed.

For a solo project, one of the nice things about the monitor design you're using is the absence of really large (and completely unmanageable) roof tins.

You might want to start shopping for a smaller boom lift... I think you'd find it invaluable with a building of that size. A decent used one might depreciate very little during the months/years you own it.

Last edited:
   / Starting a Barn #15  
I absolutely love the pictures of the barn you are going to make and can't wait to see it done!!!! As a builder who works alone, I can appreciate what you are taking on and relate to some of the challenges you will face. I've found that just about anything is possible, you just have to plan it out and know when to rent the right piece of equipment. The higher up you go, the more you will need a lift. Get to know your rental yard and see what they have. Plan ahead and be sure to reserve it so it will be there when you need it. Crazy how often those things are already rented out when you need it right away.

Post lots of pictures. The advantage to sharing a build on here is that there are quite a few pros on here who can spot things that could be done in a different way that you never thought of. I can't even count how many times somebody has asked a question about what I was doing, or made a suggestion that I hadn't considered that changed everything for the better!!!

Good luck
Eddie

/ Starting a Barn
I will post a couple of updates today and get the thread caught up to current / real-time action of my progress. I will also try and post some cost data of things I am paying for as I go through the build. I am not going to document to the penny, but I will attempt to throw some costs out for specific components of the build.

I know there are going to areas within the build that I pay more than I should for certain items or the method I am using is not the most cost effective (so try not to rub it in my face :) ). Some of this will be for easy of construction, as compared to trying to get the lowest cost. The other driving factor is I want a specific look for the build and am willing to pay for it as long as it makes sense and/or is not simply just a waste of money. (I don't want to do that).

Hopefully some of the cost data can help anybody else planning on building in the future. I also think it is interesting to see what others are paying in their neck of the woods.

Initial load of 20 foot, treated 6x6 posts. I am locally paying $66 dollars each for these; delivered to the site.

I sent a few back with the truck right off the bat (Did not like the look or had already started to twist on me). I will wait to have these delivered as I need them so they are not laying in the sun or un-banded.

I also worked on a tripod device to help me hold the posts as I worked to align them and get my bracing installed. Ignore all that other clutter on the shop pad - I had a ton of other stuff going on that day. :)

/ Starting a Barn
Ace10 - Thanks for the advice on the lift. I would really like to make that a purchase. I know I could use it. I have trolled around AuctionTime a bit, but would have to have the right piece of equipment listed while I am at the property so I could coordinate delivery/etc. I haven't seen one yet that I would be willing to pull the trigger on, but plan to keep looking.

Eddie - Thanks for the comments and advice. I will be the first to admit that there is a lot I do not know. I am confident in my ability to get this project started. I can see it finished in my head. The challenge will actually be pulling it off. (LOL).

/ Starting a Barn #18  
Craigslist aggregator sites, ebay, machinery trader.... I've gotten lucky with used equipment for my place.

uShip worked well the first time I tried it. These small haulers can work within your schedule pretty well. Seems to be plenty of guys working on the East Coast.

The sight of that pile of 6X6's nearly made me weep. So glad my current project is a small shed for my Ranger SxS. Only 8X14. LOL

/ Starting a Barn
I knew I would not be able to successfully move the posts to their location and "walk them up" by hand. I have done this with smaller length posts, but the 20 footers were not going to work that way.

I also have to be careful since the posts are not dropping in holes. They need to be placed on their concrete footer without banging the installed post base all out of whack.

I really was toying with getting one of these, but could not justify the expense for this one project and could not locate one locally to rent.

'The Brut' Skid Steer Post Grabber - Post & Pole Setting Attachment

My solution was to build an 8 foot long, three sided box or sled for the post to fit in. I then bolted this to the frame of my pallet forks. At first I was hoping to leave the forks on and use them as added protection/support, but with them on I was unable to position (tilt) the front of the loader down far enough to slide over the post.

I ended up removing the forks and then lifting one end of the post up on to a saw horse. Once the post was supported by the saw horse, I aligned the sled on the forks with the base of the post and moved forward to line everything up. I then used two timber screws drilled through the sled and into the post to lock it into position.

I then sent the safety police home and used the loader to attempt to lift the post up and get it vertical. It actually worked quite well and was not as dangerous as it may look. The post does make my tractor look small, however.

/ Starting a Barn
Once I had the post holder mounted on the pallet fork frame, I simply drove the post over to the concrete foundation and began to set it in place.

This process was not too difficult. It really involved a lot of small adjustments to the loader, getting the post plumb from front to back and then getting off the tractor and on the ladder to mount the tripod around the post.

Once I had the tripod mounted, I could remove the screws holding the post inside the sled and work on getting it lined up and braced. Basically just a lot of up and down the ladder with the level and drill/driver.

First post up and braced. 10 pounds of red clay stuck to each boot makes going up and down the ladder so much more fun!