starting a Stihl saw

/ starting a Stihl saw #51  
John, there is nothin wrong with your long post /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just a little ribbin.
I use the Oregon 511A bench grinder that I mounted to a piece of angle aluminum so I can just put it in my vise when I need it and put it away when not needed, so basically it's a QA bench chain grinder, just like my rivet spinner and chain breaker.

/ starting a Stihl saw #52  
jeepinator,

I'm not all that experienced in saws, compared to some of the other guys. But, I have to say, the way you describe drop starting yours seems to be the most dangerous... Like you said the saw is balanced, which means that if it is so inclined form hitting something or maybe it kicks back while starting, the bar is able to head straight to your face and arm.... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif.. I would recomend thinking about this a bit, some other guys may be able to give you more info.... If you are "throwing" the saw away from your body while drop starting, its less likley to come back against your controlling right hand/rist....

Just my opinion I guess... Be carefull...

/ starting a Stihl saw #53  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( jeepinator,

I'm not all that experienced in saws, compared to some of the other guys. But, I have to say, the way you describe drop starting yours seems to be the most dangerous... Like you said the saw is balanced, which means that if it is so inclined form hitting something or maybe it kicks back while starting, the bar is able to head straight to your face and arm.... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif.. I would recomend thinking about this a bit, some other guys may be able to give you more info.... If you are "throwing" the saw away from your body while drop starting, its less likley to come back against your controlling right hand/rist....

Just my opinion I guess... Be carefull... )</font>

Drop starting is usually mentioned in the saw manual. When it is it is always as 'don't do it'. At least that is the way it was in the three new saws I bought (Homey, Poulan, Stihl) over the years. Not sure if it is in the Stihl come to think of it. I started to read it for how to operate (starting, etc.) but that information was buried in 'don't do this' for page after page. I would get 1 paragraph of actual information followed by two pages of safety stuff, none that was new to me. It was the lousiest operating manual I have ever seen.

Harry K

/ starting a Stihl saw #54  
Got a 260pro myself which is great for our softwoods up here. I'm a btw the knees starter myself as my boots are nowhere near sized to step through the handle.

It always starts, except once, the original cloth filter is no good in snow. Freezes up quickly when the saw is shut down.

I'm a plunge cutter when felling but your have to be confident of where that tip is going and what it wants to do in order to control it.

I'm also a recent wedge convert, it is great to be able to fell with plunge cutting and wedges and drop stuff onto a pin.

/ starting a Stihl saw #55  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Got a 260pro myself which is great for our softwoods up here. I'm a btw the knees starter myself as my boots are nowhere near sized to step through the handle.

It always starts, except once, the original cloth filter is no good in snow. Freezes up quickly when the saw is shut down.

I'm a plunge cutter when felling but your have to be confident of where that tip is going and what it wants to do in order to control it.

I'm also a recent wedge convert, it is great to be able to fell with plunge cutting and wedges and drop stuff onto a pin. )</font>

After over 30 years of doing 6-10 cord a year, I can drop a tree on a pin every time. Of course I won't specify how many pins I will set out first. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Have a summer coming up of falling about 6 or 8 big trees (30" plus DBH) with some of the leaning pretty good. Looks like it it time to try out the plunge technique as well as my usual "chain it to prevet barber chair).

Harry K

/ starting a Stihl saw #56  
Just wanted to post some pics of the sharpening gizmo's that I use, and supply some info on where to get them. This attachment shows the filing jig that goes onto the chain (with chain on saw). They are super-convenient and do a great job.

Here's a link to Sherrill Arborist Supply. They're a great outfit with an incredibly informative catalog. If you call them (800-525-8873) they'd be happy to send you one. It has all kinds of great info about knots, ropes, rigging devices, slings, pulleys, weights of green logs, chain, chain sharpening, recreational tree climbing, etc.

Sherrill Arborist Supply

And here is a link to Bailey's. They are THE place to go for chains, files and lots of other cool stuff. Their number is (800-322-4539). The guys answering the phone will know what your saw had for breakfast this morning.

Bailey's

I'll attach a pic of the raker gauge to the next post.

Attachments

• 794326-filingjig.bmp
    87.9 KB · Views: 253
   / starting a Stihl saw #57  
Here's the pic of the raker gauge.

With these two basic tools, plus a file for the cutter and a raker file, you can sharpen any saw so that it will cut better than a new chain fresh out of the box.

Also highly recommended: <ul type="square">
A good file holder

Aluminum/rubber vise jaws [/list]

And for bar maintenance:

<ul type="square"> 10" mill file

Pferd bar edge sharpener [/list]

Attachments

• 794346-rakergauge2.bmp
    95 KB · Views: 241
   / starting a Stihl saw #58  
John:

You are going to hate me for this, but.....

Besides the '28 (which will be yours minus the bar this summer) and the '75, I have a Mc Collugh (sic) that always starts on the first pull even if it sits in the garage for a year, is really light weight, almost pollution free and I only paid 50 bucks for it from the guy down the road who didn't know how to sharpen a chain let alone not enough sense not to cut railroad ties with it.. I would never consider taking it to the woods but it's great for around the house. It's ELECTRIC!!

My wife uses it all the time, she actually keeps the bar oil tank full and checks the site window. I guess I could take it to the woods if I took the generator. It don't have enough hair to pull .404 but the, I think .178 chipper chain works well.

No mixing gas and oil, no fumes, no noise (whrrr, whrrr), no vapor lock, no maintenance (other than cahin sharpening) and tension. I did cut the cord once and no matter how hard I yanked the severed cord...it wouldn't start. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

When I first got it, I thought it was a toy. The chain compared to the .404 is small, the saw itself is real light, about 7 pounds bar and all. Just right for my wife, who, is much more careful about the cord than I am. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ starting a Stihl saw #59  
<font color="blue">You are going to hate me for this, but..... It's ELECTRIC!!!!!!!!???????? </font> /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

hehe ... Daryl, I couldn't hate you if I tried, which I never would anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just like you needn't bring a nuclear bomb to a knife fight, there's a place for everything, including an electric chain saw!

Let's see: The advantages:

<ul type="square"> Very easy to start (unless you cut the cord) /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

No pollution

Quiet

No mixing and storing gas/oil mix

Not smelly

No getting gasoline all over you

Lightweight and easy to use [/list]
The disadvantages:

Some jerk might have a problem with you having an electric chain saw, in which case you just switch it on and cut him up into little pieces with it. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Merry Christmas Daryl, and everybody! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John

/ starting a Stihl saw #60  
John:

Merry Christmas to you as well as a safe and prosperous New Year.

I suspect that my wife and I will watch Tim Allen in the "Santa Clause" this year as we do every year on Christmas Eve. That movie never gets old. My favorite part is the scene from Denny's. I know their disgust with the coffee. Been there and drank that. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif