Starting A Tractor Work Side Business with Ford 8N or 9N

/ Starting A Tractor Work Side Business with Ford 8N or 9N #1  

DerekF

Bronze Member
Tractor
Honda Recon, Husqvarna 440, Stihl MS180,
So I’ve always been really into tractors, both grandfathers are farmers. One has a really old Ford 8N, early 2000s New Holland farm tractor (couldn’t tell you exactly what it is) early 2010’s sub compact new holland with a FL and BH, old Steel Wheel with the steel cleats, twin cylinder gas John Deere tractor all fully restored a few years ago, and some other broken down tractors for decorations at his fruit stand. The other has a JD400 back hoe from the 1960s and a John Deere 4320 big farm tractor from the 1970s or 80s I believe. (Woah that was a long tangent)

Anyway, I’m familiar with what a 9N can do. It’s not a super versatile tractor, but can do PTO and 3PH tasks pretty well. I live in northern Arizona where tons of people live out in dirt roads and try to start little homesteads and things of that nature. I have a good savings account built up and I’m thinking of taking about $2000 and buying a nicely rebuilt/refurbished 9N that are all over the place on Facebook market place in Kansas and other big agricultural states nearby. I am purchasing a trailer that can haul it (not specifically for hauling a 9N) and have a truck that could pull it around my local area. I don’t actually have property I need a tractor like a 9N on (yet) but am looking to drum up side money and fill an extremely annoying itch I have had for years to have a tractor.

Is it a totally stupid idea to think I could buy a 9N and make some side money doing a little dirt work? Blading, scraping, tilling, leveling, etc people’s roads and properties? Mowing weeds and whatever else I can find? Anyone else do this or know of someone?

/ Starting A Tractor Work Side Business with Ford 8N or 9N #2  
I would not consider commercial work with a tractor lacking a ROPS. People call contractors when they want a tough job done.

/ Starting A Tractor Work Side Business with Ford 8N or 9N
I would not consider commercial work with a tractor lacking a ROPS. People call contractors when they want a tough job done.

I respect your opinion and thanks for sharing.

I want to ask though... is the redneck who wants his road maintained going to get a shovel out and do it? Is someone with 5 acres of woody shrubs going to take their John Deere garden tractor and mow up sage brush? Is someone who plants a very large garden every year going to get the little flower bed tiller out to prepare the ground for a large garden plot?

On the flip side,

Do any of these people above want to or maybe even have the money to hire out a full time dirt worker at $100+ an hour? Not most of them in my area.

I’m not looking to do full blown commercial dirt work, just small budget road maintenance, property maintenance, post hole digging, and/or brush mowing.

My area is mostly filled with ranchers, which takes almost no tractor work to do, maybe the once every 10 year tank repairs, but it’s not like every guy on every corner has a tractor like in the Midwest.

With all that being said, again, I do appreciate your input, I just don’t know if you’re understanding what kind of work I’m looking to do here. Basically be the “handyman” of dirt workers. Maybe I’m just trying to justify my itch to get my own tractor when I don’t need one.

/ Starting A Tractor Work Side Business with Ford 8N or 9N #4  
The very first thing you should do is get insurance. Things happen I've had tractors since around 1989 and have put a few nicks in things over the years. Fortunately I haven't damaged any people or someone's new car.

If you are aware of just what you and the tractor can do, and can find customers - why not?

/ Starting A Tractor Work Side Business with Ford 8N or 9N #6  
If doing this as a business, I'd wouldn't start with a 70 year old tractor. Instead, I'd consider a much newer New Holland or maybe Massey 135 or similar. Maybe something that's only +/- 20 years old.

/ Starting A Tractor Work Side Business with Ford 8N or 9N #7  
If that's what you have and you are competent wit it, then you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
I'm going to add my name to the list of those who suggest insurance though.

/ Starting A Tractor Work Side Business with Ford 8N or 9N #8  
THere is a reason the people in this profession charge $100/hr (your statement).

ITs the cost of doing business. The cost of equipment, upkeep, transportation, and as said INSURANCE.

There are 2 types of people who put equipment/tractors to work.

1. True professionals. Those who will get proper licensing, insurance, etc. Those that understand the cost of business and providing a service. And do so at a fair price.

2. The ones that just want "side work" or "beer money" and have absolutely no idea what the cost of doing business is or should be. They go out with cheap junk equipment, no insurance, do a hack job, and undercut the people trying to make a living at it. They skate by for awhile until they do some damage and have to sell everything cause they have no insurance, or because their junk equipment broke....and they realize they werent charging enough....and now cannot afford a repair.

DONT be #2

/ Starting A Tractor Work Side Business with Ford 8N or 9N #9  
2. The ones that just want "side work" or "beer money" and have absolutely no idea what the cost of doing business is or should be. They go out with cheap junk equipment, no insurance, do a hack job, and undercut the people trying to make a living at it. They skate by for awhile until they do some damage and have to sell everything cause they have no insurance, or because their junk equipment broke....and they realize they werent charging enough....and now cannot afford a repair.

Some of whom find they cannot complete jobs to customer satisfaction and do not get paid.

One reason they cannot complete jobs is that they attempt to work with inadequate equipment, then injure themselves trying to make inadequate equipment suffice.

I would not consider commercial work with a tractor lacking a ROPS.

I would not hire someone operating a tractor lacking a ROPS.

/ Starting A Tractor Work Side Business with Ford 8N or 9N #10  
Go with what you want....and your priorities.

I have a feeling your itch to having a tractor is a bigger priority than being a "true professional" in the game to make profitable business at it. Go with what you want.
It may be you are a cheap b**tard like myself who has trouble spending money unless you can find an "excuse" to justify it ..which is understandable. But you don't really need an excuse. If you want the tractor, get it. Side jobs are just icing on the cake.
Yes, if you do work for other people, that you don't know and/or trust, you do need to cover your ***ets.