Starting A Tractor Work Side Business with Ford 8N or 9N

/ Starting A Tractor Work Side Business with Ford 8N or 9N #11  
Is it a totally stupid idea to think I could buy a 9N and make some side money doing a little dirt work? Blading, scraping, tilling, leveling, etc people痴 roads and properties? Mowing weeds and whatever else I can find? Anyone else do this or know of someone?

Before you invest, go survey these people you foresee doing work for. See if they would even consider hiring someone to do this work. Before talking to them be sure to have some idea of what you will be charging because they will ask.

/ Starting A Tractor Work Side Business with Ford 8N or 9N #12  
I did this quite awhile ago and found it to be more of a pain in the rear then it was worth. I was charging $50 an hour, or basing my estimate on that rate and how long it would take to do the task. Most of it was bush hogging rural houses for sale that realtors would hire me to do. Payment was always from the owner of the property, and would usually take a week or a few weeks to get paid. People living out of state with their place for sale seem to take forever to pay for that work when the house doesn't sell quickly. But slow payment wasn't why I quit doing it, I just didn't feel it was worth my time for that amount of money, and when I looked into what others where charging for something similar, there where plenty who where doing it for a lot less.

After my first significant break down, and wasting the day making the repairs, and then having to finish the job for what we agreed to, I was done. It's one thing to run a tractor at home, it's a totally different thing to haul it somewhere, do the work on property that you don't know, and then deal with a breakdown that requires you to leave your tractor sitting while you run around getting parts and tools to fix it there, and then still have to finish the job, haul the tractor back home, and deal with your regular job.

/ Starting A Tractor Work Side Business with Ford 8N or 9N #13  
I would not consider commercial work with a tractor lacking a ROPS.
On the flip side,

Correct. ;)

Also, if you have an "itch" to get a tractor, to me that means that you've not been on/around one in a while at least. There's a learning curve for dirt engaging equipment and even brush work. I've been around tractors my whole life, but only bought one (Old MF35 loader) five years ago. I learn something every time I fire it up.

How tough is the ground where you live? Will a 9n even break the soil? They're not all that heavy. Another thing to think about is adding rear ballast, loaded tires, wheel weights, etc to allow the machine to have enough traction to get work done. No ROPS is not the best choice unless you decide to add one. If you add rear ballast that will also change the way the tractor feels in tow. Think: "tail wagged the dog" situation.

/ Starting A Tractor Work Side Business with Ford 8N or 9N #14  
Well heck I'm going to disagree with many here. A rops is nice to have but much work got done before they were around.
Personally I would not go with the N series Fords because of the pto.
I would want and independent pto, also I do not care for many of the "utility" model tractors as you are straddling
the transmission, in the summer after a couple of hours of pto work that casting will be hot enough to burn.
I will agree with the posters on insurance being a necessity.
Other then that enjoy, it most likely will not be profitable but if it helps defray the costs of buying and maintaining a tractor go for it.

/ Starting A Tractor Work Side Business with Ford 8N or 9N #15  
^ I have no problem with no ROPS, I have an issue with no ROPS and using the machine on someone else's land, especially with no insurance.

My 35 has no ROPS, but it's used only on my property. Also agree with the trans tunnel getting hot. Mine gets very uncomfortable after a few hours running the brush hog or flail mower, good call! Live PTO is a must, and if not, get a ratcheting PTO adapter so you don't end up in a pond, through a fence, or whatever.

/ Starting A Tractor Work Side Business with Ford 8N or 9N #16  
Before starting a company I founded, I learned that many people around me were opposed to it. Comments ranged from "Don't do it," to "you'll get sued," to "you will lose everything." I proceeded anyway.

Years later my business was thriving. So I have no regrets.

Seems to me the upside for you is a possible nice opportunity with only limited risk. As long as you become licensed and insured. If you try this and make a pile of money, great. If you try it and make only a little money and end with a broken tractor, you haven't lost much.

/ Starting A Tractor Work Side Business with Ford 8N or 9N #17  
^ I have no problem with no ROPS, I have an issue with no ROPS and using the machine on someone else's land, especially with no insurance.

My 35 has no ROPS, but it's used only on my property. Also agree with the trans tunnel getting hot. Mine gets very uncomfortable after a few hours running the brush hog or flail mower, good call! Live PTO is a must, and if not, get a ratcheting PTO adapter so you don't end up in a pond, through a fence, or whatever.

"ratcheting PTO adapter"........ is properly referred to as an....... "Over Running Clutch" (Steiner Tractor $65).
The OP absolutely should NOT use a bush hog type mower on a 2N, 8N, or 9N without an over running clutch!
This is a safety issue!

I have had my 1951 8N for exactly 49 years.
I used it for grading, and plowing for many years.
It did the job, but ONLY for my own work.
Also: A loader on any 2N,8N,9N is very problematic, as they have no power steering

I am not afraid to operate without ROPS, although I do only have flat ground
I actually removed the ROPS from my 48HP Kubota TLB, because it was a nuisance.

The OP should at least consider a newer tractor than the 8N....something with power steering, and live PTO.
My 8N has been sitting in a corner of my barn for the past eight years.
I keep a fresh 6V battery in it with a maintenance charger attached......but.....I never use it!

If the OP wants a sweet little (32HP) Ford, he should spend more, and find a good Ford 1920.
1988 - 2000
I love mine!
An older Massey (with PS) would be a good choice also.

Having insurance when working off of your own property is a absolute MUST!

Last edited:
   / Starting A Tractor Work Side Business with Ford 8N or 9N #18  
I own a 2N. The two biggest drawbacks I have found for this tractor are 1) no “good” way to add front weights. 2) lack of transmission speeds. 3rd gear is pretty much useless. I wish it had a “creeper” gear.

Having said this, I like my 2N for brush cutting and pulling a small box blade. The ground clearance is excellent. Mounting the wheels at the greatest width provides confidence in stability.

If u do trailer the tractor often just remember to back the tractor up the ramps and you’ll be fine.

I say follow your dreams.

/ Starting A Tractor Work Side Business with Ford 8N or 9N #19  
Doing work for money (commercially) A true story.

A neighbor needed some help planting a bunch of trees for privacy. He of the subdivision behind my farm knew I had a tractor and auger. He asked and I came over with the tractor. After digging the twenty holes, he decided one tree at the basement door would be a good idea. To my concern, there was a propane tank nearby. After several pointed questions of the location of the gas line I dropped the auger at his indicated spot. As the auger bore in, the hole suddenly filled with water ! We hit his water supply line … And his wife was in the shower. Soapy and wet she was the proverbial wet hen. Since this was a favor and not commercial job... I beat a hasty retreat leaving the man to fix the water and face his wife. On a commercial job, I or you would be at fault and responsible for any incidents. Risk management (insurance) is essential to your health, physical and financial.

/ Starting A Tractor Work Side Business with Ford 8N or 9N #20  
I did this quite awhile ago and found it to be more of a pain in the rear then it was worth. I was charging $50 an hour, or basing my estimate on that rate and how long it would take to do the task. Most of it was bush hogging rural houses for sale that realtors would hire me to do. Payment was always from the owner of the property, and would usually take a week or a few weeks to get paid. People living out of state with their place for sale seem to take forever to pay for that work when the house doesn't sell quickly. But slow payment wasn't why I quit doing it, I just didn't feel it was worth my time for that amount of money, and when I looked into what others where charging for something similar, there where plenty who where doing it for a lot less.

After my first significant break down, and wasting the day making the repairs, and then having to finish the job for what we agreed to, I was done. It's one thing to run a tractor at home, it's a totally different thing to haul it somewhere, do the work on property that you don't know, and then deal with a breakdown that requires you to leave your tractor sitting while you run around getting parts and tools to fix it there, and then still have to finish the job, haul the tractor back home, and deal with your regular job.

OP... Listen to this very sound advice... :thumbsup:

Same reason I won't do tractor work for people for money. I'll take a dinner, or beverages, but not money. Insurance, breakdowns, etc... you blow a hydraulic hose on someone's property and see how that goes. Or toss a large rock out of a brush hog into the side of their vehicle or house, or, good heavens, a person. Yikes!

As others have mentioned, you should see if there's a market for those services before investing in it. Then crunch some numbers and see how much you'd have to make to just cover your expenses, let alone make a profit doing that kind of work part-time.