Starting Diesels for short periods of time

/ Starting Diesels for short periods of time #21  
When UPS delivery trucks stop they have to shut the engine down and restart it.

#1 to reduce theft.
#2 because some non technical dink of a manager thought it would make themselves look good by telling their boss they improved company profits.

/ Starting Diesels for short periods of time #22  
Very expense diesel tug boat engines have had prelub pre-start cycles for decades.... And for UPS delivery drivers, they are required to shut down the engine prior to package delivery handling for safety and fuel economy reasons... Many of the Larger UPS trailer pulling tractors have an automatic 5 minute idle time shut down controller... again for fuel economy reasons.... Cold start prelub cycle should have been incorporated into all vehicle engines years ago....

/ Starting Diesels for short periods of time #23  
isn't one of the benefits of synthetic oil that it substantially reduces this type of start up wear by ? I assume better retention of a thin layer of oil on the machinery. And likely faster circulation of oil due to viscosity enhancers.

I wonder if one of the big issues here is the average ambient temp. All other things being equal, would machinery last longer in an area where the temp never goes below 70 degrees?

The engine block heaters on the 8V71TI's in my old boat would get the block up to about 120 degrees, and those engines just purred right after starting.

/ Starting Diesels for short periods of time #24  
The biggest thing that synthetic oil did was to allow a wider span in the xxwyyy range. With a lower "xxx", the oil will get to the upper valve train MUCH faster. Exxon once did some research on this by putting engines in a cold (-40 F/C) room. They used various oils in the crankcases. They installed a see-through valve cover on the 4 cylinder engine. ONLY a 0wxx oil would get oil to the valve train more or less instantaneously. All the other oils produced valve train smoke.

Think all oils retain an oil layer on parts, but unless you get continuously flow to high rub stress areas, there will be smoke before and at startup from friction on parts. Very likely, there was also smoke on the ring-to-cylinder area as well.

All they need to do is to have an electric oil pump like the one now in most fuel tanks in both gasoline and diesel vehicles. Just have the motor external and project into an internal shaft. No expensive "pre-lube" system needed.

Ralph

/ Starting Diesels for short periods of time #25  
The biggest thing that synthetic oil did was to allow a wider span in the xxwyyy range. With a lower "xxx", the oil will get to the upper valve train MUCH faster. Exxon once did some research on this by putting engines in a cold (-40 F/C) room. They used various oils in the crankcases. They installed a see-through valve cover on the 4 cylinder engine. ONLY a 0wxx oil would get oil to the valve train more or less instantaneously. All the other oils produced valve train smoke.

Think all oils retain an oil layer on parts, but unless you get continuously flow to high rub stress areas, there will be smoke before and at startup from friction on parts. Very likely, there was also smoke on the ring-to-cylinder area as well.

All they need to do is to have an electric oil pump like the one now in most fuel tanks in both gasoline and diesel vehicles. Just have the motor external and project into an internal shaft. No expensive "pre-lube" system needed.

Ralph

The other issue with cold is filter bypass. Cold enough, and even some synthetics will spend time with the oil filter in bypass, until the oil warms up.

It doesn't take super cold for a filter to be in bypass with conventional 15W40. This is a factor for short runs, as well as condensation never getting burned off.

Rgds, D.

/ Starting Diesels for short periods of time #26  
I would think your choice of Oil should have the most priority and use of a block heater when starting. What about "wet stacking" issue? I know this issue comes up frequently with Diesel Generators and they recommend operating under loads? I'm just a newbie here so I thought I throw this in for thought.

/ Starting Diesels for short periods of time #27  
UPS shuts their trucks off because the fuel savings calculations they did, pure and simple. UPS figures (they wont say exactly) its "about 50 Gal a year per truck" which doesn't sound like a big deal until you figure that they have 88000 trucks running in the US. Just like they plan their routes with around right hand turns so that trucks don't sit at stop lights. According to UPS the right turn policy alone saved 3 million gallons of diesel in the US market. Since their trucks run from the start of the clock to the end of the day, warm motors aren't their problem, so they still only see the wear from an initial startup in the mornings.

/ Starting Diesels for short periods of time #28  
UPS shuts their trucks off because the fuel savings calculations they did, pure and simple. UPS figures (they wont say exactly) its "about 50 Gal a year per truck" which doesn't sound like a big deal until you figure that they have 88000 trucks running in the US. Just like they plan their routes with around right hand turns so that trucks don't sit at stop lights. According to UPS the right turn policy alone saved 3 million gallons of diesel in the US market. Since their trucks run from the start of the clock to the end of the day, warm motors aren't their problem, so they still only see the wear from an initial startup in the mornings.

And, when you buy that many trucks, you can probably get a starter or 200 pushed thru under warranty if needed. Those fuel numbers add up fast !

May not mean much here on TBN, but for a high profile transport company there is also a separate business value (optics with green folks) to having your trucks not idle. It's also the law in some major metro areas.

Rgds, D.

/ Starting Diesels for short periods of time #29  
I would think your choice of Oil should have the most priority and use of a block heater when starting. What about "wet stacking" issue? I know this issue comes up frequently with Diesel Generators and they recommend operating under loads? I'm just a newbie here so I thought I throw this in for thought.

Re. Wet Stacking - some diesels will auto-idle higher at cold start. I manually bump my tractor idle up to at least 1200rpm after cold start.

Rgds, D.

/ Starting Diesels for short periods of time #30  
Yeah UPS has been milking the "less pollution" card with the epa and greenies for every bit they can get out of it.