Starting in winter temperatures

/ Starting in winter temperatures #11  
We used a Bombi that looked like that to groom snowmobile trails. Quite a work horse, but our trail system out grew that. Now we run a NH TS110 and a TM140, both with suretrac systems on them.

Kinda hyjacked the thread.

I know alot of times i don't have to plug equipment in, but it's a nice ins policy. And easier on everything. I drive truck for a living. I own it. I plugged my truck in every night for months on end. Where i lived and where I left the truck was a few minutes travel. 30 nights of plugging my truck in (jan) cost $90 bucks. $3 a night keeping 10 gals of oil and 10 gals of antifreeze warm. Within a 2 minutes I had heat blowing thru the defrosters on sub zero nights. Priceless.

/ Starting in winter temperatures #12  
I have a block heater. I also have a plug that I bought from Ace Hdwe. with a remote with it. (The plug has a short cord on it to plug into the regular outlet) I hit the remote, eat breakfast, and go hit the starter and the tractor is running. (JD 4110) Of course, the coldest I have seen where I live is 50 below. :)

/ Starting in winter temperatures #13  
I have a block heater. I also have a plug that I bought from Ace Hdwe. with a remote with it. (The plug has a short cord on it to plug into the regular outlet) I hit the remote, eat breakfast, and go hit the starter and the tractor is running. (JD 4110) Of course, the coldest I have seen where I live is 50 below. :)

Do you have a link to tat plug? Sounds very handy!

/ Starting in winter temperatures #14  
I leave my tractor plugged in all of the time- always starts. When the temp is 35 or more then I unplug.
I had an inline Kats on my car for years- excellent. Plugging in makes winter work go w/out a problem. Temps aren't as bad as they were- then a good battery was no guarantee your vehicle would start. Plugged in- it always started - gets rid of that moment before the oil gets going that doesn't sound good!
Buy the plug in designed by the manufacturer for your tractor.
When I had my cub, there was no radiator hose to cut into that would work- so I used a magnetic block heater on the bottom of the oil pan- not as effective.

/ Starting in winter temperatures #15  
As posted, a block heater usually provides the best overall heat. Not sure if OP found one, or will be installing ?

If your winter lows aren't too bad, an electric battery blanket is easier to install than a block heater. Keeping the battery itself a bit warmer is never a bad thing - w/o a blanket I've used a 100w or better floodlight under the hood.

Rgds, D.

/ Starting in winter temperatures #16  
I know this has been asked before, but I'm going to ask it again.

What and how do you start your tractor's at 5 degrees?

This is going to be my first winter with my Mahindra Max 25. :) But I remember a winter back in the past that we had about 3 feet of snow, about an inch of freezing rain, that locked down the snow from blowing. The temperature was about 29 when it was snowing, rose to about 37 for the freezing rain, and then dropped to 5 degrees or less for the next week. Considering that it is the middle of August and I have a blanket over my legs, I can't imagine a mild winter this year.

So I want to prep ahead of time. Do I need a plugin radiator block heater/pump? Will a dipstick heater work? Do I need both? What about ether? Do I just want to use the ether and hide out all winter? :confused2:

I'm going to use current diesel that they should have the anti-congeal stuff in it.

Didn't notice crankcase oil in your posts. Using a decent 5W40 diesel oil will help - Mobil TDT, Rotella T6, Delo, etc.....

Rgds, D.

/ Starting in winter temperatures
Didn't notice crankcase oil in your posts. Using a decent 5W40 diesel oil will help - Mobil TDT, Rotella T6, Delo, etc.....

Rgds, D.

I hadn't thought of it yet. thanks for the reminder. I just broke 50 hours so I need to change the oil soon.

/ Starting in winter temperatures #18  
I hadn't thought of it yet. thanks for the reminder. I just broke 50 hours so I need to change the oil soon.

You're welcome.

Easy thing to overlook, even up here (Canada).

I've talked to guys here that may run a synthetic in their trucks, but get a funny "Oh Yeah !" look when I ask about the tractor crankcase.

Rgds, D.

/ Starting in winter temperatures #19  
Dipstick heaters are for dipsticks.
Better to purchase and use winter diesel instead of trying to dope summer diesel into not gelling.
A low wattage block heater if plugged in 24/7. High wattage block heater if 20 minute warmups are desired.
Is there a tapped threaded port on the block, a frost plug or is a tank heater required? may have to cross reference the catalog for a generic heater that will fit.

http://www.phillipsandtemro.com/userfiles/file/2013_ZEROSTART_CATALOG.pdf

/ Starting in winter temperatures #20  
I live in SW Ohio. If you have a good battery and keep it charged it should do just fine. I have never had need for a block heater.

Cuz there is less wear on the starter, battery and alternator. Cuz the engine suffers less wear due to less time operated below rated coolant temp. Cuz there is less fuel dilution of the crankcase lube.Cuz the heater/defroster blows heat almost immediately. Cuz less fuel wasted warming the engine.
The same people I see idling equipment and vehicles for extended periods of time to "warm-up". Are the same people who gripe about fuel prices.