Starting in winter temperatures

/ Starting in winter temperatures #21  
I agree using the block heater can make a tractor engine last longer. They may start when it is cold but I hearing the stress. With the block heater on for a few hours it sounds and acts like it starts on a summer day.

/ Starting in winter temperatures #22  
I don't have block heaters on my pick up trucks, lawn mower, weed eaters, ATV's, or portable generator. Perhaps I am stressing them.

/ Starting in winter temperatures
I don't have block heaters on my pick up trucks, lawn mower, weed eaters, ATV's, or portable generator. Perhaps I am stressing them.

And are they diesel? And when was the last time you fired up your weed eaters in January? :eek:

/ Starting in winter temperatures #24  
If you own a diesel pick up truck and drive it to work do they have plug ins for block heaters there? If not should a diesel truck be out of the question for driving to work in the winter?

/ Starting in winter temperatures #25  
And are they diesel? And when was the last time you fired up your weed eaters in January? :eek:

jimpen

Don't worry about pig. He's scrambling to try and justify himself.
These guys talk about saving engines with lower rpms, snake oil poured into the fuel tank and crankcase, exotic lube oils etc. And they can't understand an engine being pre-warmed in the winter.

/ Starting in winter temperatures #26  
Block or inline heater. Both work well.

Tarp over tractor with heater under it. This also works well as it warms more stuff but does not get the block up to the same temperature as the coolant heaters.:D

/ Starting in winter temperatures #27  
Do you have a link to tat plug? Sounds very handy!
<http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A495308%2Cp_4%3ACarlon> After you get to that page, do a search for "remote control plug" and it will come up.

/ Starting in winter temperatures #28  
We are off-grid and therefore energy use is something we manage carefully. My Kubota's block heater uses 400 watts. For temps between about 5 and 20F I will plug in for about 45 to 60 minutes. At 0F or lower 90 minutes to 2 hours seems adequate. Often I need to run the tractor before sunrise, but our solar array is 2KW, so we can make this back in about 15 minutes of direct sunlight. If it is expected to be cloudy for 2 or more days, I might skip the block heater if the temp is above +10F. Might like to get a timer as described above, but I would like to know how much power the timer itself consumes?