Starting Pole Barn site prep. PT loves the colder weather!

/ Starting Pole Barn site prep. PT loves the colder weather! #11  
Thinking 48ft wide by 36ft deep.
Any thoughts on the height? I was thinking 12ft minimum inside with 9 ft tall doors.
Also looking for a pole barn builder that will travel for work in central Virginia?
View attachment 854944
14' doors is my thought on height.

around these parts on road stuff like semi's and their trailers have a standard (no OH permit) height of almost 14'. (12' 6" in the US i think but maybe wrong)

So for re-sale value if you ever decide to sell or for flexibility wouldn't you want to build to the standard if you going to be so close anyways? and not limit its use by being short by just ever so little??

I built 3 years ago and put in 14' doors to ensure I could handle the standard height (max) of legal on road stuff that didn't need permit. Incremental cost almost nothing.

/ Starting Pole Barn site prep. PT loves the colder weather!
WOW! Awesome looking building woodland. Clean design/lines and cool looking cladding. Sry u are having a little water intrusion.

I really enjoy posting here cause you all bring it with great responses and unique solutions to problems.

Last edited:
   / Starting Pole Barn site prep. PT loves the colder weather! #13  
I' did a 12' height with a 12' door on my 48 by 64 pole barn. Only regret was when it came time to concrete the floor, the trucks couldn't drive in. Had to pull panels off the sides and chute it in.

/ Starting Pole Barn site prep. PT loves the colder weather! #14  
I would not recommend the building manufacturer (metal sales out of Denver if I am correct). Cold rolled style building but it lacked fineness. Leaks a bit due to poor quality design.
what a shame, the design is what I really liked.

/ Starting Pole Barn site prep. PT loves the colder weather! #15  
Awesome!!! We just broke ground for our 40x60 workshop. I cleared a spot that is 100x100 and now we are finish grading it to start construction.

Here is a rough sketch of the basic layout of my shop. I will have a 4 post vehicle lift as well as drains in the main area.

My Shed Idea.jpg

/ Starting Pole Barn site prep. PT loves the colder weather! #16  
Depends on what you want to use it for. I just started building a hay barn and added 2 feet to the maximum height on my contractor's hay equipment before I put in the order. Gotta do a lot of measuring and thinking about the future etc. before you actually order.
40X60 barn. Will be used to store hay and my tractor + implements. Open on 1 side, 16' to the trusses.
1709307193777.png

/ Starting Pole Barn site prep. PT loves the colder weather! #17  
Thinking 48ft wide by 36ft deep.
Any thoughts on the height? I was thinking 12ft minimum inside with 9 ft tall doors.
Also looking for a pole barn builder that will travel for work in central Virginia?
View attachment 854944
I've got a 9' door on a 10' garage and have never needed anything taller. The previous owner had pickup trucks with tall caps for duck hunting dogs.

In the back I added a 24x24 addition that is 8'8" high with a 7' door strictly for storage.

If I was starting fresh, I'd want something tall enough inside so that I could install a lift that could put the Suburban up high enough for me to stand under it comfortably. I think 12' might be just a tad short, as I'm 6' tall, I'd like about 6" over my head, and the Suburban is a bit over 6' tall. So right there is 12' 6" plus the height of the top of the lift.

I'd make mine 14' and be happy.

Of course, new pickups are a lot taller than the 2003 Suburban.

Just a few things to consider.

Good luck on the new building! (y)

/ Starting Pole Barn site prep. PT loves the colder weather! #19  
You will fill the space. So make it as big as you can afford. I was told to make it big enough for 12ft doors as someone will want to drive a motor home into it. View attachment 854955

Very nice shop but I think in our climate any building should have good eaves on all sides, otherwise it's like asking for trouble.

My barn was already built when I bought the property and my barn has no eaves either!

Last edited:
   / Starting Pole Barn site prep. PT loves the colder weather! #20  
Very nice shop but I think in our climate any building should have good eaves on all sides, otherwise it's like asking for trouble.

My barn was already built when I bought the property and my barn has no eaves either!

So the building is my own personal design. But the kit manufacturer could have selected better bends to alleviate water intrusion. Yeah. I now regret no having the overhang but a friend has a similar design and no leaking around the windows. Of course half the story is we budgeted pre pandemic and ordered just as Covid hit. Concrete and labor were through the roof. Garage doors were 6 month back ordered.
IMG_3040.JPG
IMG_3041.JPG
IMG_3041.JPG
IMG_3042.JPG