Starting problems

/ Starting problems #1  

jenpepper

Tractor
Several
I am working on a John Deere 6300.;) The starter engauges but it is just a hum. The fan turns but r-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w-l-y. We had another problem with this same tractor that maybe related but not sure so I need your advice.

The other problem was with start up as well but you had to shake the steering wheel like crazy and hope the battery held out long enough for it to finally crank fast enough to start. It has been down for two weeks now and when I finally got a chance to make it to the field to look at it we ran into the first problem I mentioned. Please help...:confused:...I am willing to try anything but, before I tried all the previous suggestions I wanted you to know both problems.

Also, it has a new fuel pump, the tank has been cleaned out (with clean diesel), new fuel lines to the fuel filter, new fuel filter and housing, and a new nutrual safety switch.

I appreciate all your help!!!

/ Starting problems #2  
Ground and all Cable connections CLEAN? Once had a Pos. Cable so corroded under the insulation would not pull enough Amps to turn the Starter... Good Luck!

/ Starting problems #3  
On first thought, sounds like a battery problem. Don't have a clue why shaking the steering wheel like crazy changed the cranking speed (but Steve08's suggestion sounds like a good one).

/ Starting problems
Thanks for the ideas!!!

I have talked to 2 other people about the shaking thing and the responce I got was that the hydralic pump has a bypass valve and when it starts up the hydralic fluid immediatly starts flowing. If the bypass valve is not allowing any fluid to flow then the pump can't turn which doesn't allow the engine to turn easily if at all. Then today someone else said they thought that the JDs had a "closed"(?) hydralic system which doesn't work this way. What do you think?

/ Starting problems
Steve08, we tested the power at the starter and it was right on.....could it still be a cable prob? I ask because i would hate to peel it back and be wrong. Not that I would skin it completely.

I am a little over careful, times are hard & money tight...(just like everyone else)....can't really afford an opps on my end. This is why I am looking for the infinate wisdom of the forum...lol. Seriously, I appreciate all the imput and please don't be offended if I ask twice for clariffication....thats just me.

PS sorry for my bad spelling.....:cool::eek:

/ Starting problems #8  
IMO it could be one of two things.

First, it could be an intermitten bad connection. As already mentioned, if you havent already, clean ALL connections. Shaking/turning the steeringwheel may be touching/bumping something that is causing it to all of the sudden make a good connection??? But cleaning all the connections isnt going to hurt anything, and it wont cost anything.

And if you have a DVOM that will read DC amps, check that as well while starting.

If everything with all that checks out okay, it sounds like something is acutally causing a load on the motor causing it to turn slow. I'd look into the powersteering hydraulics for sure. I am not familiar with your model, maybe others will chime in, but it just seems odd that turning the wheel will cause less resistance on the motor???

Again, I am not familiar with the 6300, but I would still think it has some sort of bypass on the PS pump. The pump HAS to build pressure somehow when you are turning and directing the fluid to the steering mechanism, but when you are not turning, the pump certainally isnt "dead heading". So something has to allow fluid to "bypass" back to tank. Whatever that is may not be operating properly???? I think the PS system deserves a looking at, but I could be way off base too:D

/ Starting problems
That is part of the frusteration....once it cranks there is no issue at all in the steering.....only on start up. OH, there is somthing else I forgot to mention about, where as before the steering wheel only turned from the 2 to 11 o'clock position befor it would start now it is really easy to turn all the way around while the key is on (not started).

The turning the steering wheel theroy frees up the hydrolic pressure......I am not sure either. The way it was explained made sence BUT, I am looking for that 2nd, 3rd, 4th...ect opinions.

/ Starting problems #10  
That is part of the frusteration....once it cranks there is no issue at all in the steering.....only on start up. OH, there is somthing else I forgot to mention about, where as before the steering wheel only turned from the 2 to 11 o'clock position befor it would start now it is really easy to turn all the way around while the key is on (not started).

The turning the steering wheel theroy frees up the hydrolic pressure......I am not sure either. The way it was explained made sence BUT, I am looking for that 2nd, 3rd, 4th...ect opinions.

IF it has a bypass, and IF it is blocked, once the engine is running you would NOT have any problems with the steering.

What the relief would typically do is "unload" the pump when not steering. Making the pump spin easier until you NEED the pressure to steer. By steering while trying to start, you are using that PSI, and making the pump spin easier and in turn, letting the motor whirl over a little faster.