Starting problems

/ Starting problems #11  
You have a unloader valve on the pump,when the key is in the start position it energizes the valve, when the key is released to run the valve is de energized.
Check the voltage at the valve in start should read 12+,you may want to try jumping the valve to see if you can hear it move in or out.
If moving the steering wheel has an effect you may have a loose wire in the dash that controls the valve.And yes yo do have a closed center hyd. system.

/ Starting problems #12  
kenstrac has pretty well said it. JD had a kit available to de stroke the main hydraulic pump. One wire hooked to the S termenal on the starter and the other to ground. When you turn the wheel back and forth you are eleninating some of the hydraulic pressure. If your tractor does'nt have the solinoid kit installed you can manually de stroke the pump. To do this there is either a stem with a roll pin on top of the head of the pump, or the newer ones take a 1/2" wrench. to de stroke it screw it in all the way and start the tractor when running turn it back out and it will turn on the pump.

/ Starting problems
I am fixin to head to the feild, I will let ya'll know how it goes.....Thanks.

/ Starting problems #14  
May have nothing to do with your poblem ,but we have a 2040 JD that was having starter problems . It would crank up just fine most of the time . Other times it would crank over really slow ,sometimes just click on the starter. We replaced the battery with on help, then replaced the starter . Come to find out it was all in the ignition switch. After replacing the switch we haven't had any problems with it again so far. Could the switch have anything to do with your problem?

/ Starting problems #15  
Steve08, we tested the power at the starter and it was right on.....could it still be a cable prob? I ask because i would hate to peel it back and be wrong. Not that I would skin it completely.

I am a little over careful, times are hard & money tight...(just like everyone else)....can't really afford an opps on my end. This is why I am looking for the infinate wisdom of the forum...lol. Seriously, I appreciate all the imput and please don't be offended if I ask twice for clariffication....thats just me.

PS sorry for my bad spelling.....:cool::eek:

I chased a nonstart issue for two days, Getting correct Voltage every where!
Starter, Switch. Relays... Finely pulled the poz end off the Starter and ran a 'Jumper' from the Battery to the Starter....She Fired right up!
Poz Cable showed full 12 volt but would not pull enough Amps to turn Starter

/ Starting problems
Thanks for all the suggestions....I will try them out, it is crazy how simple or unrelated some seem but I am not ruleing anything out at all. :)

/ Starting problems #18  
I feel ya bro... just went through a couple weeks of frustration with a similar prob - turned out to be poor connection at one battery terminal. The starter motor draws a lot of current, book says 300A for mine, so if there's any problem with the connection it won't get enough juice. Took a long time to track that down though; even with headlights on it wasn't showing any voltage drop at the connection, but it would fail when I tried the starter.