Steak cooking methods

/ Steak cooking methods #41  
Are you wrapping the taters in toil foil, when thrown on the coals?

No just get some ashes around them and pile the coals over them, Leave them there for about 1 hr and you will have the best baked potato you ever had IMO Ed

/ Steak cooking methods #43  
I have never much cared for NY strip.

Only time I will eat NY strip, is at red-lobster. And they have a NY strip that rivals what I can do on the grill with a ribeye. Dont know if its just my local red-lobster or if it is actually a strip steak as they have it listed.....but its taste and tenderness is that of ribeye. Everywhere else I have ever tried strip, and even at home, I cannot even come close to the flavor and tenderness of ribeye.

As to potatoes....we do that all the time in the coals. Straight from the garden usually, knock the dirt off, smear butter all over the skin, wrap in foil and burry in coals for ~20 min.

Do the same thing with corn too, only no foil. Just leave it in the husk, and thow them on a bed of coals, use the shovel and cover with coals. Depending on how hot your coals are, ~8-10 minutes and you'll have some of the best corn ever

I hate reading these threads first thing in the morning:mur:

/ Steak cooking methods #44  
I have yet to find any method of cooking a steak on a skillet that is better than on a grill.

Only reason I do it is because steak on the skillet is still better than no steak at all when the winter months limit grilling.

But that said, I dont like propane for grilling either. Charcoal only for me. And I dont cook direct over the charcoal either. Indirect heat, with a little cherry wood or apple wood on the charcoal and all the vents closed down to give a nice smoked flavor to the steak. Cherry and apple are the best two I have found.

Once done, I'll raise the charcoal and get the grates nice and hot, and sear the steaks to give nice grill lines. I cook to medium. Nice pink but blood free.

But regardless of cooking style, quality of the meat matters more than anything. A crappy steak cooked the way I describe is still a crappy steak. And a good steak can be ruined as well with improper cooking. So make sure you start with a good cut. My favorite is probably ribeye, with porterhouse/t-bone a close second

X2 (charcoal only)

/ Steak cooking methods #45  
I have never much cared for NY strip.

Only time I will eat NY strip, is at red-lobster. And they have a NY strip that rivals what I can do on the grill with a ribeye. Dont know if its just my local red-lobster or if it is actually a strip steak as they have it listed.....but its taste and tenderness is that of ribeye. Everywhere else I have ever tried strip, and even at home, I cannot even come close to the flavor and tenderness of ribeye.

As to potatoes....we do that all the time in the coals. Straight from the garden usually, knock the dirt off, smear butter all over the skin, wrap in foil and burry in coals for ~20 min.

Do the same thing with corn too, only no foil. Just leave it in the husk, and thow them on a bed of coals, use the shovel and cover with coals. Depending on how hot your coals are, ~8-10 minutes and you'll have some of the best corn ever

I hate reading these threads first thing in the morning:mur:

We buy fresh corn right out of the field in the Summer, blanch it and freeze it. When I cook ribs, I like to take the frozen corn, wrap it in Aluminum foil along with some garlic, salt, pepper and butter. After about an hour and a half on the smoker with the ribs, they are perfection!

/ Steak cooking methods #46  
We've been buying a lot of T-bone steaks for 5.99/lb. and they're very good. I call ahead and I have them cut 1" thick. 4-5 minutes per side on high heat is all it takes for medium rare.

T-bone with a baked potato, sour cream, real butter, salt, and pepper, and a salad is my favorite meal. Several glasses of red wine with that meal beats going out to any restaurant that I've ever been to.

Kevin

I guess everyone has their traditions; I like my steak with mushrooms braised in butter and garlic, fried okra and a pear/lettuce/cottage cheese salad. Sharn Jean likes her baked potato.

/ Steak cooking methods #47  
I guess everyone has their traditions; I like my steak with mushrooms braised in butter and garlic, fried okra and a pear/lettuce/cottage cheese salad. Sharn Jean likes her baked potato.

Funny how when everyone starts mentioning their recipes, how similar alot of them are.

I do the same salad, but with pineapple rather than pear.....and a little paprika on top

/ Steak cooking methods #48  
Don't know what changed but strip steaks used to be great...have not had a tender one in ages...only buy them now when they are reduced...

[in general to the subject...]

Cooking meat (beef especially) needs to rest (continue cooking, then re-absorb moisture)...steaks are no different...red meat (beef venison etc...) should always be removed from the heat source when it is 6* to 10* below the desired internal temp...the larger /thicker the cut the longer the rest period needed...

That's an old wives tale or even a husbands tale. Meat does NOT need to rest after cooking......

/ Steak cooking methods #50  
We will have to agree to disagree...... Check out the websit I posted a link to. Meathead is the Alton Brown of the grill. he knows his stuff and can back it up.