Stealing from dealership(s)

/ Stealing from dealership(s)
is very, very common. Theft is a big problem in our business.

Being ignorant I never would have guessed this. On the other hand most lots are open and a lot of the equipment is on wheels so is a tempting target. Locks only keep honest people honest.

/ Stealing from dealership(s) #12  
It happend here about a year ago, they got a few Kubota mowers. Its located on a fairly busy highway also. Probably happened in the middle of the night and bet they were pretty stealthy.

/ Stealing from dealership(s) #13  
With todays laws would the dealership get sued when the dog had a potential thief for lunch???

I agree excellent idea and the dog probably won't sleep during a robbery either...

good point.. while we are at it.. we need to amend the laws so that thieves get their just deserts too!

soundguy

/ Stealing from dealership(s) #14  
local dealers here get hit every once in awhile, according to newspaper reports. JD dealer had a nice photo of a guy in a nice dually truck take some stuff, don't know if they were caught. Also NH dealer (locked fenced lot) had a bunch stolen a couple yrs ago while the county fair was going on. It's unfortunate.

/ Stealing from dealership(s) #15  
Local Bobcat dealer here was hit a year or so ago. Industrial area, chain link, lights, etc. Thieves took tractors, mowers, and even stole a trailer! Guess their trailer wasn't big enough. Came back the next night and got even more.

A couple of weeks ago, someone removed a toplink off a tractor and tried to pry open the front door. Now all the toplinks are locked up inside.

The facility I work at as plant engineer is right next door and we have never been robbed. Guess thieves aren't interested in condoms and/or condom packaging equipment.

/ Stealing from dealership(s) #16  
I'm not a dealer... but I haven't removed the keys from my truck or tractor in years. I can see the police report now... 1994 Ford truck last seen going south with 15 bags of trash in the back... Farm use only tags front and back. I once posted, if you can figure out how to start my Ford, you can have it. Lots of push, pulls to start plus you have to get the dash lites turned on.

mark

/ Stealing from dealership(s) #17  
my wife gripes about me leaving my keys in my old dodge ram. I tell her.. look at it.. in a parking lot full of vehicles.. mine is NOT the one going to be stolen.. :)

soundguy

/ Stealing from dealership(s) #18  
I've heard stories about some brands being more targeted then others... for example, Kubotas are highly desired because dealers dont check Serial numbers that much. I know my JD Dealer pratically asks for a S/N number even if you go in to buy a quart of HyGard.. :laughing:
On another forum I frequent a dealer in WI who had 3 or 4 Cub Cadet Zero Turns stolen...2 years later one of them turned up in FL....the owner went in to buy parts and the S/N showed up stolen. The owner had "legally purchased it" so had no reason not to supply the S/N...but ended up loosing the machine.

/ Stealing from dealership(s) #19  
A couple of years ago a dealer down the road had about 20 snowplows stolen, not only did they take the plows but a brand new trailer and they loaded it with his equipment,never found plows or trailer.

/ Stealing from dealership(s) #20  
This certainly sounds like an inside job to me. They knew their way around the place, used the existing forklift... I'd start my investigation close to home.