STEERING ROD LINK FAILURE, CENTURY/BRANSON

/ STEERING ROD LINK FAILURE, CENTURY/BRANSON
Indeed it was a good investment. You got a lot of tractor for the money just like me and a I haven't had any trouble with mine either other than this and a few things I caused myself. The tie rod end breaks right where the threaded part starts . You'll know it when it breaks because the front wheel will flop around to one side and you can't steer straight. Keep a check on the nut and if you see loose motion as you turn, take the carter key out and tighten the nut more and then put the carter key back in.

/ STEERING ROD LINK FAILURE, CENTURY/BRANSON #12  
I broke both sides within 180 hrs. Maybe heavy work stressed them, but both broke in 2WD with nothing in the bucket. Broke one whle shredding, and one while tilling.

/ STEERING ROD LINK FAILURE, CENTURY/BRANSON #13  
I thought I would bring this original post back to life. Just broke the left side tie rod on my Century 3045. Less than 200 HRS. Seems like others have had this issue so keep your head up and eyes open.

clarkie

/ STEERING ROD LINK FAILURE, CENTURY/BRANSON #14  
I found one of mine loose today and tightened it up. I think that tightening it up again is not the answer. The tie rod ends are either poor quality metal or of insufficient size. The earlier post says that they are $127 and that, in my opinion is over priced for the quality. Unless Branson has made some changes I would suggest going somewhere else to have something fabricated. It shouldn't be hard to find a set of ends and weld threaded receivers on them.

/ STEERING ROD LINK FAILURE, CENTURY/BRANSON #15  
fjb2c said:
I found one of mine loose today and tightened it up. I think that tightening it up again is not the answer. The tie rod ends are either poor quality metal or of insufficient size. The earlier post says that they are $127 and that, in my opinion is over priced for the quality. Unless Branson has made some changes I would suggest going somewhere else to have something fabricated. It shouldn't be hard to find a set of ends and weld threaded receivers on them.

The new ones are significantly larger in diameter.

/ STEERING ROD LINK FAILURE, CENTURY/BRANSON #16  
Thank you. I don't think that helps me or those with the old system since the new tie rod ends won't fit the older style-will they? If they do thats great, if they dont will the top plate on the front drive steering pivot (not sure of the name) have to be changed, and will it just bolt in place? If the plate needs to be changed, how much is that? My tractor is out of warranty, although I did experience this problem before when it was still under warranty, is there any recourse with Branson for a free parts upgrade?

Last edited:
   / STEERING ROD LINK FAILURE, CENTURY/BRANSON #17  
fjb2c said:
Thank you. I don't think that helps me or those with the old system since the new tie rod ends won't fit the older style-will they? If they do thats great, if they dont will the top plate on the front drive steering pivot (not sure of the name) have to be changed, and will it just bolt in place? If the plate needs to be changed, how much is that? My tractor is out of warranty, although I did experience this problem before when it was still under warranty, is there any recourse with Branson for a free parts upgrade?

There is a new top plate that goes with the new tie rod end. Just like any other brand, improvements are made over time and Branson really does not owe to retrofit all older tractors whenever they make an improvement. Talk to your dealer. I'd have to talk to our parts department to get prices, but I don't think they were too bad. Again, call the dealer you bought your tractor from and see what he can do for you.

/ STEERING ROD LINK FAILURE, CENTURY/BRANSON #18  
DavesTractor, thanks for being a wealth of information and willing to respond to posts, it is very comforting. Sure, I will speak with my dealer. I’m sure, as you said, an upgrade is not the responsibility of the manufacturer; however, since the tractors have horns, signals, high low beams, and come equipped with a slow moving vehicle signs, it is evident that the manufacturer intends and anticipates this equipment to be operated on the road. Consequently, in my opinion, the upgrade becomes a recall because of the possibility of personal injury involved with the operators and passing vehicles. If it wasn't deemed a recall it would, I think, open the manufacturer up to tremendous liability in the event of tie rod end failure because of the previous size/ metallurgy design/ failures/ loosening history of the components. Thanks again, I think I will contact my dealer and Branson as well. Maybe we can get a comment from somebody here with litigation experience. Franz

Last edited:
   / STEERING ROD LINK FAILURE, CENTURY/BRANSON #19  
fjb2c said:
DavesTractor, thanks for being a wealth of information and willing to respond to posts, it is very comforting. Sure, I will speak with my dealer. I’m sure, as you said, an upgrade is not the responsibility of the manufacturer; however, since the tractors have horns, signals, high low beams, and come equipped with a slow moving vehicle signs, it is evident that the manufacturer intends and anticipates this equipment to be operated on the road. Consequently, in my opinion, the upgrade becomes a recall because of the possibility of personal injury involved with the operators and passing vehicles. If it wasn't deemed a recall it would, I think, open the manufacturer up to tremendous liability in the event of tie rod end failure because of the previous size/ metallurgy design/ failures/ loosening history of the components. Thanks again, I think I will contact my dealer and Branson as well. Maybe we can get a comment from somebody here with litigation experience. Franz

Franz, thanks for the kind words.

On many such items one could make a case for a safety issue, especially if related to brakes, steering, etc. However things like this are improved all the time, and if a manufacturer had to retro every unit, they would be in a real quandry. We have sold a lot of Branson's and have had just a handful of these fail, and mostly on guys that use the loaders hard. Nobody has been hurt, no property has been damaged. So yes, there is always potential, but I don't think this reaches the level that you might be indicating. We are a litigious society and I just balk at people using that as a reason to make demands. I guess it is often effective, and sometimes necessary, but the reality is that you want the upgrade and feel it should be free. So then, ask for it through your dealer on that basis. I've not tried to push one through that was post warranty, so I do not know Branson's demeanor on this issue. I can say that they are very fair and reasonable.

/ STEERING ROD LINK FAILURE, CENTURY/BRANSON #20  
You're welcome. I apologize for giving you a litigious impression I certainly didn't believe that I was using this as a means of influence, but merely forum conversation. I like my Branson and eagerly await a response from them. Thanks- Franz.