Traction Steering wheel alignment

/ Steering wheel alignment #1  

AllByteNoBark

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3560HSTC LE, John Deere 950
Recently got a spinner for my steering wheel as I have had one in the past and found it handy.

Put it on today and mowed a couple of hours with the RC. The surprising part to me is on this Kubota the steering wheel does not always return to the same spot. Is that normal?

I put the spinner on at about the 10:00 position withwheels straight.

Sometimes it would be there when going straight but more often than not it would end up at some random position. Never had that happen before on anything else.

Kind of makes the spinner a pain and will probably take it off.

/ Steering wheel alignment #2  
Recently got a spinner for my steering wheel as I have had one in the past and found it handy.

Put it on today and mowed a couple of hours with the RC. The surprising part to me is on this Kubota the steering wheel does not always return to the same spot. Is that normal?

I put the spinner on at about the 10:00 position withwheels straight.

Sometimes it would be there when going straight but more often than not it would end up at some random position. Never had that happen before on anything else.

Kind of makes the spinner a pain and will probably take it off.

It's due to being hydraulic steering. Much different than a direct mechanical (gear) linkage. I thought just as you when I first put a spinner on. You will get used to it being in a different spot.... I wouldn't be without one now!

/ Steering wheel alignment #3  
Yes completely normal on a hydraulic steering system. I never have liked those spinners.

/ Steering wheel alignment
Kind of what I figured. Just had not even thought about it.

/ Steering wheel alignment #5  
Yes, normal. I literally wore out a pair of gloves by palming the wheel in 2016 during an East Coast blizzard. I now use a spinner, mostly for snow plowing.

/ Steering wheel alignment #6  
Yes completely normal on a hydraulic steering system. I never have liked those spinners.

The steering on late model Kubota's is not hydraulic, it's hydrostatic and it's perfectly normal foe the steering wheel to land on different positions because there is no hard mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the front end. Why Kubota steering wheels aren't cast with a definite spoke (or emblem) pattern. I run 'suicide' knobs on mine, never pay any attention the the 'landing position', just use them for their intended purpose which is quick turning of the wheel and steering.

/ Steering wheel alignment #7  
Hydrostatic steering has been on certain tractors since at least the early 70's. No the steering wheel will never be in the same place.

/ Steering wheel alignment #8  
Hydrostatic steering has been on certain tractors since at least the early 70's. No the steering wheel will never be in the same place.

agreed, my 45 year tractor is like that

/ Steering wheel alignment #9  
Don't think so much about your knob position and you will probably get use to it.

/ Steering wheel alignment #10  
Don't think so much about your knob position and you will probably get use to it.

Mmm, this thread got me thinking,

Just a question, what happens on fully hydrostatic steering if the engine dies while descending a hill with turns?
Will the orbital valve still provide hydraulic pressure to the ram and therefore wheels If you turn the steering wheel ?

If not, that would seem to be a small (safety feature) of mechanical steering with hydraulic assistance versus Full hydrostatic steering.