Traction Steering wheel alignment

/ Steering wheel alignment #21  
Kind of what I figured. Just had not even thought about it.

I'm the same way....never really thought about it. But now that I have, I believe that I would have noticed if the knob ended up in a different position. So I think that on my Kubota the steering wheel always ends up in the same place.....And I believe our JD does the same.
rScotty

/ Steering wheel alignment #22  
I'm the same way....never really thought about it. But now that I have, I believe that I would have noticed if the knob ended up in a different position. So I think that on my Kubota the steering wheel always ends up in the same place.....And I believe our JD does the same.
rScotty

I’m pretty sure the M59 is hydraulic and the wheel will drift. I’ll try to check mine. I don’t remember if my 310 drifted or not. It steered so I never paid much attention to it.

/ Steering wheel alignment #23  
I’m pretty sure the M59 is hydraulic and the wheel will drift. I’ll try to check mine. I don’t remember if my 310 drifted or not. It steered so I never paid much attention to it.

Now my curiosity is up. I'm going to fire both of them up tomorrow - the Kubota M59 and the JD 310 as well. Here the temps are expected to be in the 70s! And then we'll know.
Shucks, for that matter now I'm wondering about our Ford truck and the SUV. Going to check those as well.
rScotty

/ Steering wheel alignment #24  
Now my curiosity is up. I'm going to fire both of them up tomorrow - the Kubota M59 and the JD 310 as well. Here the temps are expected to be in the 70s! And then we'll know.
Shucks, for that matter now I'm wondering about our Ford truck and the SUV. Going to check those as well.
rScotty

I don’t think your vehicles will drift. I’ve never had one that did.

/ Steering wheel alignment #25  
I don’t think your vehicles will drift. I’ve never had one that did.
On-road vehicles have a mechanical linkage and will not wander. Most any tractor that has a hydraulic cylinder as the only connection to steer the wheels will drift at least a little.

Aaron Z

/ Steering wheel alignment #26  
Mmm, this thread got me thinking,

Just a question, what happens on fully hydrostatic steering if the engine dies while descending a hill with turns?
Will the orbital valve still provide hydraulic pressure to the ram and therefore wheels If you turn the steering wheel ?

If not, that would seem to be a small (safety feature) of mechanical steering with hydraulic assistance versus Full hydrostatic steering.

sd455dan I am not sure what sort of steeering a JD 6920 has but when the engine dies on a steep hillside you have no steering at all and no brakes. Just to make it interesting the handbrake didn't work on this one either. Fortunately I was turning so just rolled backward into the fence.

/ Steering wheel alignment #27  
rScotty

If your JD 310 is below serial number 237998 it will have mechanical linkage on steering so it can't drift. After that posted SN 310 has hydrostatic steering which could drift.

/ Steering wheel alignment #28  
My feeling is that the position of the wheel, when you turn the engine off, determines the position when restarting. With that thought, I have repositioned my spinner where I wanted it before starting the engine, yes it takes a bit of pressure on your part, and that works. Other thing that works is if it moves on you due to some turning you did while in motion, I put it into a lock, in the direction I want it to move, for a few seconds and turn it loose, back to where I was going, and it repositions the wheel. Keep doing it till it gets back to where you want it.

Yes you have to get used to it, and yes if you get used to running your open hand around the top of the wheel to "find" the spinner that works too. It is a bit of a PIA but I'll take it over other methods, especially "manual" steering. I really would be at a loss on my 2400 if I hadn't installed a spinner.

/ Steering wheel alignment #29  
My feeling is that the position of the wheel, when you turn the engine off, determines the position when restarting. With that thought, I have repositioned my spinner where I wanted it before starting the engine, yes it takes a bit of pressure on your part, and that works. Other thing that works is if it moves on you due to some turning you did while in motion, I put it into a lock, in the direction I want it to move, for a few seconds and turn it loose, back to where I was going, and it repositions the wheel. Keep doing it till it gets back to where you want it.

Yes you have to get used to it, and yes if you get used to running your open hand around the top of the wheel to "find" the spinner that works too. It is a bit of a PIA but I'll take it over other methods, especially "manual" steering. I really would be at a loss on my 2400 if I hadn't installed a spinner.

It makes no difference where you stop and start the engine. It drifts when you try turning against a load like what a big load on the FEL or continue turning against the bump stops.

/ Steering wheel alignment #30  
Yep, hydraulic steering via a motor on the wheel and an operating cylinder at the axle is a different kind of animal.

The operating cylinder on my NH backhoe has seals leaking by inside to the point I can literally spin the steering wheel indefinitely after the wheels are turned to lock. I need to rebuild it one day but it was like that when I got it and hasn't gotten any worst. My JD steering wheel usually comes back pretty close to the same position at center.

Spinners are a matter of preference but having one that doesn't rest in the same spot would bug me. I don't use them on either of my tractors. I drove my neighbor's Kubota yesterday and it has a spinner that is never in the same spot with the wheels centered. Neither of my tractors take that much effort to palm the wheel when I need to turn it fast so I will stick with that method.